which cruise tour

RIP27

"None of the above" - they're both poor. Cruisetour #3 has 2 nights in Anchorage and 1 at Alyeska while #19 has only 1 night at Denali so you only get a few miles into the park on the Natural History Tour. By adding 1 day you can get some very good cruisetours if that's the way you want to go - RCI's #1, for example, is a very good one.

I definately agree, both are very poor choices. TIME is necessary, looking at short cruisetours, is going to be very limited with most, all the time in transit.

Do your homework and find out the details about Denali park. I have written extensively on the subject. This most often is the highpoint of interior Alaska itineraries.

We are taking tour 11. I had booked 19 but changed it when a board membership brought to my attention the fact that #19 is coach travel, not rail travel. We took #13 last year and loved it but it was a northbound cruise. I want a southbound because flights out of Vancouver to home are better. Last year we left at 9p and arrived home at 7a.

thank you all for your input, yes, time is the issue, pushing it with the 3 days prior to the the cruise as it is. so then what do you suggest if we do it on our own?

Day 1 - fly into ANC (before noon), get a car and drive to Denali/Healy

Day 2 - shuttle bus deep into the park - Eielson is best IMO. Overnight at Denali/Healy

Day 3 - drive back to Anchorage, see the city and overnight

Cruise Day 1 - shuttle to Seward to board the ship

I will add to Murray's post, and suggest the train from Anchorage to Seward, THEN don't be in a rush to get on the ship. Plan some Seward touring, with my top pick a Kenai fjords boat tour. :) Way superior for varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing compared to anything from your cruiseship. The train works out great for the 11:30am tour.

Exit Glacier is a great option, Seavey's Sled dogs, Godwin's Helicopters- less canceled compared to Juneau and Skagway. Alaska Sea Life center. http://www.seward.com

Take advantage of being there. Seward is a gem. :)

I appreciate all the input. My husband and I are going to review what we want to see and then plan it out on our own. I planned this trip as at the last minute as a surprise for him. I couldn't wait and gave it to him 2 weeks early. Now he can help with the planning.

Archived