Royal Caribbean is doing a great job, BUT

Bottom line is that they did the right thing, but please don't suggest that people have to accept it because it's in the fine print that they agreed to when they bought the cruise. As true as that is, it just doesn't help.

But as any traveler, you DO have to accept it. That's why it's frustrating for the passengers. I have had to accept a lot of things in my life when I traveled. I had to accept 12 hours in a Detroit layover trying to get home for New Years because of a blizzard. I missed a wedding because of a hurricane (and the wedding was canceled because of flooding). I was at sea during Hurricane Charley and lost a port of call, I had to miss some sightseeing in London and change hotels because of the Aldwych bus bombing. I was en route on a plane to Philly on 9/11. I've been stuck on the interstates because of white out conditions and had to go to the bathroom soooo bad. None of that was fair, it was terrible and distressful and I wasn't prepared for ANY of it.

But you know what, I did have to accept it because there are no guarantees in life and life includes traveling. The fine print protects the carrier from being sued over acts of God or political dissonance etc that threatens the safety of their customers as well as gives them the authority to change itineraries when the conditions dictate it.

I believe we can't fault any passenger for feeling distressed, disappointed or feeling their trip has been wasted. But to say they don't have to accept it is quixotic and unhealthy.

What I would suggest (obviously having been through my fair share of crap in my travels) is every passenger who has elements of their trips that they believe they can't cancel is to contact each of those carriers and explain the CDC restrictions have eliminated the key portion of their trip. Don't demand a refund or upgrades and all that. Ask for a credit or to waive a change fee - be reasonable and ACCEPT the fact that you will have to ask for benevolence from the carriers who are not impacted by the CDC warning. I have found in my distressful travel situations that if you're reasonable, patient and speak with kindness and honesty to a representative of a hotel manager, airline rep or manager (call their customer service in their corporate areas, not just reservations; or call their loyalty line for elite members, they are better trained and more empowered..) you'll find you will get to a near break-even point. The biggest thing is to ask for what they can give. They CAN waive change fees and give you a flight credit, and ANY hotel can waive the cancellation fee (I've never been stuck with one once). You just have to be calm and reasonable. Don't believe me, watch any episode of "Airline" ;-) If for some reason you can't recoup your expenses from 3rd party carriers, ask RCL to give you a credit to cover it when you book your next cruise. Just try to break even; I've seen it time and time again where people demand the moon and get nothing. When I had that unfortunate issue in London, I just wanted to be sure that I would have help moving my luggage (others were demanding some crazy stuff). I got help moving my luggage and my new hotel welcomed me personally and I got a lovely junior suite. I've never gotten any positive remuneration by being a righteous victim. I've gotten more benefits from accepting my fate and trying to make the best of it.

I've got 300,000+ miles flown on my back and over 1000 nights in hotels and 8 cruises that I speak from. So my motto is: When you accept what hand you've been dealt, then you've got something you can play with. If you don't accept it, you have to fold and live with the loss and then you wind up having to accept it in the end. RCL isn't responsible for this pandemic of pandemonium. But they would be utterly irresponsible to sail into it when they have every indicator not to. And they clearly understand the distress of their passengers over this.

Just my opinion, I'm sure it's not shared by many but if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the CDC and State Department.

This is one of those things that "make sense on paper". Yes, it's the right decision. Yes, they really had no choice.

But.. the reality is that you were planning on a Mexican cruise with nice warm weather and palm trees, and beautiful sea days at the deck pool. Now, you have a completely different cruise. I know I would be upset, even though I completely understand the reason. Please understand that a lot of people have booked flights and have other travel arrangements that cannot be changed or cancelled without penalties, so they are stuck taking this cruise.

Bottom line is that they did the right thing, but please don't suggest that people have to accept it because it's in the fine print that they agreed to when they bought the cruise. As true as that is, it just doesn't help.

You don't have a choice but to accept it. Hurricane or flu you can't make that port. Stop acting like spoiled brats and enjoy yourself. It's vacation.

So imagine you go to buy a gallon of milk and find out when you open the carton that you have orange juice? Or maybe you fill up with gas and find out that instead of the 10 gallons you thought you were getting, you got 9? Would you accept that? I find it amusing that the cruise lines can do whatever for pretty much any reason that changes the product that you bought and people are "o.k. with it." I am not saying that changing itineraries was the wrong thing to do. And I know that I, like everyone else, can chose not to go on a cruise. But the fact is I booked one thing and am getting another. And RCL doesn't care about people like me that are only on a 4-day cruise like the Enchantment leaving in a few weeks since they (a)won't let me change to another cruise w/out penalty or (b) won't give me any OBC for the different port, which I might add, has lower port charges than Cozumel. That is just wrong. I didn't want to go to the Bahamas, if I did I would have booked the Majesty and gone to 3 ports instead of 2 and for LESS money which is what I did last year!!

So imagine you die because they forced you to cruise your original itinerary that YOU PAID FOR, and you got the swine flu or died in a hurricane. ANY vacation you take has risks. Imagine it rained for the entire cruise? That's RCI's fault?

RCI cares it's their business to care.

Imagine you make the best of what life deals you?

But as any traveler, you DO have to accept it. That's why it's frustrating for the passengers. I have had to accept a lot of things in my life when I traveled. I had to accept 12 hours in a Detroit layover trying to get home for New Years because of a blizzard. I missed a wedding because of a hurricane (and the wedding was canceled because of flooding). I was at sea during Hurricane Charley and lost a port of call, I had to miss some sightseeing in London and change hotels because of the Aldwych bus bombing. I was en route on a plane to Philly on 9/11. I've been stuck on the interstates because of white out conditions and had to go to the bathroom soooo bad. None of that was fair, it was terrible and distressful and I wasn't prepared for ANY of it.

But you know what, I did have to accept it because there are no guarantees in life and life includes traveling. The fine print protects the carrier from being sued over acts of God or political dissonance etc that threatens the safety of their customers as well as gives them the authority to change itineraries when the conditions dictate it.

I believe we can't fault any passenger for feeling distressed, disappointed or feeling their trip has been wasted. But to say they don't have to accept it is quixotic and unhealthy.

What I would suggest (obviously having been through my fair share of crap in my travels) is every passenger who has elements of their trips that they believe they can't cancel is to contact each of those carriers and explain the CDC restrictions have eliminated the key portion of their trip. Don't demand a refund or upgrades and all that. Ask for a credit or to waive a change fee - be reasonable and ACCEPT the fact that you will have to ask for benevolence from the carriers who are not impacted by the CDC warning. I have found in my distressful travel situations that if you're reasonable, patient and speak with kindness and honesty to a representative of a hotel manager, airline rep or manager (call their customer service in their corporate areas, not just reservations; or call their loyalty line for elite members, they are better trained and more empowered..) you'll find you will get to a near break-even point. The biggest thing is to ask for what they can give. They CAN waive change fees and give you a flight credit, and ANY hotel can waive the cancellation fee (I've never been stuck with one once). You just have to be calm and reasonable. Don't believe me, watch any episode of "Airline" ;-) If for some reason you can't recoup your expenses from 3rd party carriers, ask RCL to give you a credit to cover it when you book your next cruise. Just try to break even; I've seen it time and time again where people demand the moon and get nothing. When I had that unfortunate issue in London, I just wanted to be sure that I would have help moving my luggage (others were demanding some crazy stuff). I got help moving my luggage and my new hotel welcomed me personally and I got a lovely junior suite. I've never gotten any positive remuneration by being a righteous victim. I've gotten more benefits from accepting my fate and trying to make the best of it.

I've got 300,000+ miles flown on my back and over 1000 nights in hotels and 8 cruises that I speak from. So my motto is: When you accept what hand you've been dealt, then you've got something you can play with. If you don't accept it, you have to fold and live with the loss and then you wind up having to accept it in the end. RCL isn't responsible for this pandemic of pandemonium. But they would be utterly irresponsible to sail into it when they have every indicator not to. And they clearly understand the distress of their passengers over this.

Just my opinion, I'm sure it's not shared by many but if you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the CDC and State Department.

I totally agree with you on this but we need to add one more party to be mad at...The Media. I'm on the 06/07 sailing of the Mariner and was looking forward to the MR, however, RCL has done an excellent job of dealing with this and have offered more than the other lines. Be thankful that you have 3 options. If you don't like the itinerary then stay home.

That was very well put.

I do feel sorry for those that will not be able to take the cruise that they planned but that is part of cruising. It is usually the weather that causes changes in cruising but in this case it is a threat of illness. The cruise lines are following the advise of the CDC. There is not much else they can do.

Last minute changes happen all the time during the hurricane season. That is expected. On our last cruise our schedule was changed 3 times during the cruise. One of the differences in this situation is that there is advance notice.

I totally agree with you on this but we need to add one more party to be mad at...The Media. I'm on the 06/07 sailing of the Mariner and was looking forward to the MR, however, RCL has done an excellent job of dealing with this and have offered more than the other lines. Be thankful that you have 3 options. If you don't like the itinerary then stay home.

My wife and I were scheduled on the Mariner June 7th also. She absolutely did NOT want to go north... so I had my TA cancel the cruise and book us on an E Caribbean cruise instead. I personally would have enjoyed either itinerary, but do prefer warm beach weather.

Like you said, be thankful there are options.

Suppose this....

But instead they stay in the US where there are MORE documented cases of the flu than in mexico... and if you consider mexico city even close to the port cities then you should feel the same way about the US. 10 passengers can still get on the ship on embarkation day with the flu and your results are the same...

however so far only 8 people have died out of the 250 or so cases WORLDWIDE. 250 out of approx 3 trillion people = .00000083% of the population. 8 of 250 = .032% chance youll die if you even catch it.

The death rate from normal flu is higher so far and your more likely to die in your car on the way to the ship.

May I ask...where do you get your information?

The US has more documented cases than Mexico?

Where do you get 8?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_outbreak

The WHO and the CDC are reacting the way they are because they don't know what this flu will do. It can mutate very quickly, and I, for one, am glad they are taking precautions.

So imagine you die because they forced you to cruise your original itinerary that YOU PAID FOR, and you got the swine flu or died in a hurricane. ANY vacation you take has risks. Imagine it rained for the entire cruise? That's RCI's fault?

RCI cares it's their business to care.

Imagine you make the best of what life deals you?

IMAGINE that since the cruise is NOT what I paid for, that RCL does what they SHOULD DO and allows all passengers a credit towards a future cruise with NO CHANGE FEES or some sort of OBC as compensation for the change?

Well stated, Lis36. As a passenger on the 5/3 Mariner sailing, I thoroughly understand everyone's frustration. It's not easy to accept cold and rain when you've been dreaming of warm and sun. My husband is still grumbling. However, we've been through our fair share of travel alterations as well, including several hurricane cruises and have learned that it's easier to just roll with the punches. Not that we don't rant and rave at first--everyone has to go through the various stages of grief until you reach acceptance. The trouble with cruising is that you've spent months and sometimes years planning this vacation, so it might take a bit longer for some of us to come around.

Ironically, just as I got to that final stage and started researching what we can do in the new ports, I heard from the C&A desk--they upgraded us. Granted, we're diamond+, but this is the first time we've gotten the upgrade. Add that to the very generous OBC, and the North Pacific is looking real inviting to us now.

Well said, Lis36! (By the way... I've made a note to never travel in the same plane/train/car with your bad luck! ;) kidding.)

If anyone is upset at Royal Caribbean for changing itineraries, I understand. There is never a 'win-win' for RCI or passengers when unexpected events like this occur. But, rather than be upset at RCI for changing... be upset at your airline/hotel for *their* fine print. After all, if your airline/hotel lets you change flights/stays without fees, most of the problems would go away (albeit inconvenient and time consuming.)

I've found that if you work with hotels/airlines, they will work with you. As Lis36 said, ask for a credit or waive the change fees for your airline. Don't demand a full refund, because this earns the airline nothing! If you tell them you're changing your flight, but WITH the same airlines, they may be more open to work with you. Kindly ask for a supervisor if the front-line customer service won't budge. It's easier for an airline to waive $500 in fees to keep your business than to give a $1900 refund you're asking for.

Just remember that many many companies are refusing to help, and Royal Caribbean is doing much more than others. If you booked with Carnival/Princess/etc, you're fighting an even larger battle. Blame the airlines, blame the hotels, blame the CDC, blame the piggies. Be upset that your vacation plans changed... but remember that Royal Caribbean is going above/beyond their 'fine print'.

- Ryan

IMAGINE that since the cruise is NOT what I paid for, that RCL does what they SHOULD DO and allows all passengers a credit towards a future cruise with NO CHANGE FEES or some sort of OBC as compensation for the change?

Evidently you haven't done any research on this and therefore don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. RCCL is offering you 3 options with the 3rd one being a FULL refund of all amounts paid to RCCL. What else do you want?

Evidently you haven't done any research on this and therefore don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. RCCL is offering you 3 options with the 3rd one being a FULL refund of all amounts paid to RCCL. What else do you want?

Mark78, I quote my old man..."if you give some people the world then they would want a fence around it." To me a bad day of cruising (never had one) is always better than a good day at work. Enjoy.

I am one of those who have aleady purchased airline tickets to LA for me and DH. We booked this cruise because the the temps on the early spring Voyager were to cool to enjoy the pool or to go snorkeling. This was to be DH's snorkeling trip! No we are headed to Victoria!

I would not give the cruise lines as much credit as they seem to be receiving.

On April 27, 2009 the Centers for Disease Control announced they recommended no non-essential travel to Mexico. On April 28, 2009 the Mariner of the Seas allowed their passengers to leave the ship and go into Cabo. Another cruise line did not let their passengers go ashore; which seems to be in the best interest of their crew and passengers.

Approximately one-third of their passengers left the cruise in San Francisco with only a $200 on-board credit per stateroom. These cruisers were not given the same choices that revised itinerary cruisers were given. You can see the news videos on any S.F. network channel.

I understand that stuff happens. However, if by their negligence any passenger had contracted the flu in Cabo it most certainly would have been their fault.

They did not, I repeat, did not follow the guidelines of the CDC.

Mark78, Where can I get the info about the 3 options available to me because of the intinerary change of the Mariner?

If you call RCL at 1-800-627-6700 (this is for customer with revised itineraries) you must ask to be given all options. There are three, one includes cancellation. They, of course, do not offer. I can tell you these options are quoted in quite a number of posts on these boards. However, since I am new to the procedure, I can't quite figure out how to find everything. I know if you do a search for my posts it will probably get you to the right.

I am quite sure of this information, such as it is, being accurate as I just spoke with them.

I can tell you these options are quoted in quite a number of posts on these boards. However, since I am new to the procedure, I can't quite figure out how to find everything. I know if you do a search for my posts it will probably get you to the right.

I am quite sure of this information, such as it is, being accurate as I just spoke with them.

The 3 options *used* to be posted on RoyalCaribbean's website on this page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do

BUT, they update it a few times a day now, and those 3 options were removed and replaced with a single phone number ( 1-800-327-6700 ). The 3 options should still be available, but they are no longer explicitly mentioned on their website.

Keep an eye on that page... they may put it back up.

- Ryan

Well said, Lis36! (By the way... I've made a note to never travel in the same plane/train/car with your bad luck! ;) kidding.)

- Ryan

LOL!!! I thought about adding that caveat myself! But if you travel as much as I do for business and play, you are bound to hit a lot of the snafu's. You know, I learned this attitude not just from having to deal with it but I worked with a consultant who used to work in Russia and TWICE had a landing on Aeroflot where the plane broke apart on landing (and survived unscathed) and also got marooned in a hotel room in Miami thanks to a broken computer lock..he had to shimmy out on bedsheet rope! He's the guy I don't want to travel with!!

:D

When we arrived in Cabo (April 26 sailing) we were told it was safe.

I find the comments interesting - but just remember those traveling this week had much better options. We paid approx $3000 for our room only to go to San Francisco in a completely different climate and rough waters. While I understand things happen, I paid for a Mexican Rivera cruise. Pacific coastal cruises are much cheaper. I'm just wondering why people going this week are offered so much more off and future credit when we weren't?

When we arrived in Cabo (April 26 sailing) we were told it was safe.

I find the comments interesting - but just remember those traveling this week had much better options. We paid approx $3000 for our room only to go to San Francisco in a completely different climate and rough waters. While I understand things happen, I paid for a Mexican Rivera cruise. Pacific coastal cruises are much cheaper. I'm just wondering why people going this week are offered so much more off and future credit when we weren't?

They have to fill the ship;)

Archived