Royal Caribbean is doing a great job, BUT

I think that Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines are doing a great job in accomadating the passengers in a situation that is beyond their control, but looks that a lot of people are trying to get the most out of it.

Some are even behaving like a spoiled child that they will never cruise with cruise line X or Y anymore or won't spend a dime on the ship.

In the first place your contract clearly states that they can change a port for whatever reason and that is what they are doing. If they want to give you some OBC for the"inconvenience" that you have to see as a added bonus, but it's not a must!

I think that Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines are doing a great job in accomadating the passengers in a situation that is beyond their control, but looks that a lot of people are trying to get the most out of it.

Some are even behaving like a spoiled child that they will never cruise with cruise line X or Y anymore or won't spend a dime on the ship.

In the first place your contract clearly states that they can change a port for whatever reason and that is what they are doing. If they want to give you some OBC for the"inconvenience" that you have to see as a added bonus, but it's not a must!

I think this has probably been a monumental task for RCL - I applaude the way they handled it - and look forward to my cruise.

Now if I could only get a free upgrade.

Just Suppose.....

- That RCI didn't change Port Calls in Mexico.

- That 10 passengers went ashore in Mexico and got the Swine Flu

- That those 10 passengers spread it to 990 other passengers on the ship which would be easy to do in the enclosed areas and with only a few places to eat on board

- 1,000 passengers debarked the ship at the end of the cruise infected with Swine Flu

The Lawyers would have a field day with this. It would be like a shark feeding frenzy!

Three Cheers For RCI For Thinking of the Safety and Health of the Passengers!

This is one of those things that "make sense on paper". Yes, it's the right decision. Yes, they really had no choice.

But.. the reality is that you were planning on a Mexican cruise with nice warm weather and palm trees, and beautiful sea days at the deck pool. Now, you have a completely different cruise. I know I would be upset, even though I completely understand the reason. Please understand that a lot of people have booked flights and have other travel arrangements that cannot be changed or cancelled without penalties, so they are stuck taking this cruise.

Bottom line is that they did the right thing, but please don't suggest that people have to accept it because it's in the fine print that they agreed to when they bought the cruise. As true as that is, it just doesn't help.

The people that are complaining should stop to consider all the people in Mexico that depend on the cruise industry to survive.

We met a cab driver in Cosumel that told us if the cruise lines stopped operating he wouldn't know how to feed his family.

I understand wanting to go on a cruise to the ports you booked but things could be worse.

I think people use the cruise contract excuse to flame others way too liberally.

Yes, we all know there is a cruise contract that says the cruise line can change itineraries even without notice.

But I do feel bad for the people that have had a cruise booked for over a year now and suddenly, just before their cruise, are told that it will be a completely different cruise. Even the weather will be completely different.

I really don't think any of these people blame RCI. But it is perfectly normal to vent frustrations in this matter, even if it is initially at the wrong recipient.

In the end, these people will simmer down and realize this was for the best. But for now, let them vent. So what.

agreed...I posted elsewhere that I was impressed with the way RC has quickly handled the situation...logistically this whole mess is a lot do deal with in a short period of time. The whole situation is very much out of their control and I really dont see why the cruise line should owe anyone anything for it...but certainly can see how the changes could be disapointing to those who had planned to be going on a Mexican Riviera cruise

Just Suppose.....

- That those 10 passengers spread it to 990 other passengers on the ship which would be easy to do in the enclosed areas and with only a few places to eat on board

- 1,000 passengers debarked the ship at the end of the cruise infected with Swine Flu

The Lawyers would have a field day with this. It would be like a shark feeding frenzy!

Agree! Also, how about the crew that will be with another set of guests the next cruise. We always seem to forget that their are crew members that are human just like us.

everyone is effected , relax, take a deep breathe , be thankful you can afford a cruise and are healthy. The complainers are on every cruise trying to get something for nothing they are never happy , advoid them and enjoy the moments with the ones you love and friends.

Just Suppose.....

Suppose this....

But instead they stay in the US where there are MORE documented cases of the flu than in mexico... and if you consider mexico city even close to the port cities then you should feel the same way about the US. 10 passengers can still get on the ship on embarkation day with the flu and your results are the same...

however so far only 8 people have died out of the 250 or so cases WORLDWIDE. 250 out of approx 3 trillion people = .00000083% of the population. 8 of 250 = .032% chance youll die if you even catch it.

The death rate from normal flu is higher so far and your more likely to die in your car on the way to the ship.

Suppose this....

But instead they stay in the US where there are MORE documented cases of the flu than in mexico... and if you consider mexico city even close to the port cities then you should feel the same way about the US. 10 passengers can still get on the ship on embarkation day with the flu and your results are the same...

however so far only 8 people have died out of the 250 or so cases WORLDWIDE. 250 out of approx 3 trillion people = .00000083% of the population. 8 of 250 = .032% chance youll die if you even catch it.

The death rate from normal flu is higher so far and your more likely to die in your car on the way to the ship.

I agree with everything you posted. But, especially in business, perception is reality. You stand a better chance of getting the flu visiting NY than you do in most of the port towns in Mexico, but if passengers don't believe that, then voila! No more Mexican Riviera cruise.

But.. the reality is that you were planning on a Mexican cruise with nice warm weather and palm trees, and beautiful sea days at the deck pool. Now, you have a completely different cruise. I know I would be upset, even though I completely understand the reason. Please understand that a lot of people have booked flights and have other travel arrangements that cannot be changed or cancelled without penalties, so they are stuck taking this cruise.

Yup, you nailed it. Booking a cruise to the Mexican Riviera and ending up in Victoria instead is, well, beyond disappointing. ( Not that Victoria isn't a nice place, but it IS about 40 degrees cooler).

I wonder why RCI couldn't have just canceled the cruises, and notified everyone if they wish to book the new itinerary then do it.

After all, it IS a totally different cruise anyway.

That way, those people who didn't want to rebook might have been able to claim flights through insurance or something. I'm just thinking out loud, there may be good reasons for not doing that. I dunno.

Quite correct about the cruiseline doing a good job "accomodating the passengers in a situation that is beyond their control".

Not arguing that at all.

My point is that, they won't be paying port charges for me and the 3 others with me, and are just keeping the cash.

(If you hired a painter to paint your house and it rained that day and he stayed home. Do you you still pay for the paint job?)

As far as the legality, I'm sure they can legally take you to any port they want, or none at all. But there is the difference between the legal thing and the right thing. :)

I've sailed with Celebrity and RCL many times ( Diamond). Also other lines.

My prior experience with them is that they do "do the right thing".

And that is why I return repeatedly (14 times), bringing both friends and family along.

So, I'll tell you what, refund me the 4 port charges, and i"ll gladly spend it ALL on the ship. :D

I'm going to drop this now and patiently await their considered response to their loyal customers.

The same people who are complaining about change of itinerary due to CDC recommendation are the same people who if they got sick would be right down to RCI ready to sue.

It's a no win situation either way.

Best solution is for cruisers to make the best of it ... that's it!

Wow, I can't believe you people are being so harsh. Obviously, you can criticize because it is not your vacation that has been turned upside down.

Yes, all of the cruiselines are doing the best they can with a bad situation. Yes, they have to put the health of their passengers first and that means no stops in Mexico. Everyone gets that...everyone understands that.

But to say that those who's Mexican Riviera cruise (88 degrees today) was changed to one that stops in Victoria (57 degrees today) shouldn't be upset is not fair. Most people book their cruises well in advance. And cruises as we all know are not cheap vacations when you consider the cost of the cruise, air fare to get to the port city etc. So these people have spent a lot of money, spent a lot of time planning, dreaming and probably shopping for new clothes, to take a cruise to a warm weather destination. And at last minute, they have found that that isn't happening. They have every right to be upset by the change and I'm betting that almost every one of you would feel the same way. Yes, they understand why it has to be done, but that doesn't make them any happier about it.

To the person who asked about RCL just canceling the cruises, that would be a wonderful way for those who really don't want to do the "new" cruise to get their money back via insurance. However, that's not going to happen cause RCL would lose way too much money by completely canceling and it would also disappoint others who still wanted to take the cruise. It's a tough situation and from what I've read, RCL is doing a good job in trying to satisfy everyone as much as they can.

CG

To the person who asked about RCL just canceling the cruises, that would be a wonderful way for those who really don't want to do the "new" cruise to get their money back via insurance. However, that's not going to happen cause RCL would lose way too much money by completely canceling and it would also disappoint others who still wanted to take the cruise. It's a tough situation and from what I've read, RCL is doing a good job in trying to satisfy everyone as much as they can.

CG

Cancelling it wouldn't disappoint those who still want to take the cruise because it isn't the same cruise anymore. They could simply say the cruise is cancelled and THIS is what will be replacing it, so rebook if you wish. THAT would be the fairest thing to do, so those who don't want the 'new' itinerary wouldn't lose a bunch of money.

It really IS a new cruise nyway.

Cancelling it wouldn't disappoint those who still want to take the cruise because it isn't the same cruise anymore. They could simply say the cruise is cancelled and THIS is what will be replacing it, so rebook if you wish. THAT would be the fairest thing to do, so those who don't want the 'new' itinerary wouldn't lose a bunch of money.

It really IS a new cruise nyway.

The problem with that then becomes that if anyone has purchased travel insurance it wouldn't apply to the new cruise. Then you get into another set of issues.

IMO RCCL handled it the best way.

Wow, I can't believe you people are being so harsh. Obviously, you can criticize because it is not your vacation that has been turned upside down.

Yes, all of the cruiselines are doing the best they can with a bad situation. Yes, they have to put the health of their passengers first and that means no stops in Mexico. Everyone gets that...everyone understands that.

But to say that those who's Mexican Riviera cruise (88 degrees today) was changed to one that stops in Victoria (57 degrees today) shouldn't be upset is not fair. Most people book their cruises well in advance. And cruises as we all know are not cheap vacations when you consider the cost of the cruise, air fare to get to the port city etc. So these people have spent a lot of money, spent a lot of time planning, dreaming and probably shopping for new clothes, to take a cruise to a warm weather destination. And at last minute, they have found that that isn't happening. They have every right to be upset by the change and I'm betting that almost every one of you would feel the same way. Yes, they understand why it has to be done, but that doesn't make them any happier about it.

CG

So, what is your solution, CG? How does all this grumbling help? It would certainly change my plans, but that would have to be! It's just a matter of "not what happens to you, but how you handle it." That's my opinion and I don't think it's harsh at all. It's reality.

The problem with that then becomes that if anyone has purchased travel insurance it wouldn't apply to the new cruise. Then you get into another set of issues.

IMO RCCL handled it the best way.

Yeah, I suppose. No matter what, someone (or probably everyone) would be out some money, and some will be disappointed.

And I guess you just have to keep in mind that its no ones fault.

Yeah, I suppose. No matter what, someone (or probably everyone) would be out some money, and some will be disappointed.

And I guess you just have to keep in mind that its no ones fault.

Yep, an unfortunate situation, no ones fault. I think this is definitely one of those rock and hard place situations for both the cruiselines and travelers. You just hope that everyone can find a solution that will work for them.

So imagine you go to buy a gallon of milk and find out when you open the carton that you have orange juice? Or maybe you fill up with gas and find out that instead of the 10 gallons you thought you were getting, you got 9? Would you accept that? I find it amusing that the cruise lines can do whatever for pretty much any reason that changes the product that you bought and people are "o.k. with it." I am not saying that changing itineraries was the wrong thing to do. And I know that I, like everyone else, can chose not to go on a cruise. But the fact is I booked one thing and am getting another. And RCL doesn't care about people like me that are only on a 4-day cruise like the Enchantment leaving in a few weeks since they (a)won't let me change to another cruise w/out penalty or (b) won't give me any OBC for the different port, which I might add, has lower port charges than Cozumel. That is just wrong. I didn't want to go to the Bahamas, if I did I would have booked the Majesty and gone to 3 ports instead of 2 and for LESS money which is what I did last year!!

So imagine you go to buy a gallon of milk and find out when you open the carton that you have orange juice? Or maybe you fill up with gas and find out that instead of the 10 gallons you thought you were getting, you got 9? Would you accept that? I find it amusing that the cruise lines can do whatever for pretty much any reason that changes the product that you bought and people are "o.k. with it." I am not saying that changing itineraries was the wrong thing to do. And I know that I, like everyone else, can chose not to go on a cruise. But the fact is I booked one thing and am getting another. And RCL doesn't care about people like me that are only on a 4-day cruise like the Enchantment leaving in a few weeks since they (a)won't let me change to another cruise w/out penalty or (b) won't give me any OBC for the different port, which I might add, has lower port charges than Cozumel. That is just wrong. I didn't want to go to the Bahamas, if I did I would have booked the Majesty and gone to 3 ports instead of 2 and for LESS money which is what I did last year!!

Apples and oranges.

The Enchantment and the Majesty are not the same ship at all.

Please show me the official citations for the port charges to all of the ports which you are referencing.

Just Suppose.....

Basically the same thoughts I had.

I'd say the ones making wild claims about no longer cruising on ... line would be the first to retain an attorney to take the cruise line to court if they got sick on the ship because it went to Mexico.

Perhaps they are even the same ones who do things in the Windjammer that get others upset due to lack of good sanitation.

Archived