Should I switch from Carnival to RCL?

d_foster

I have been on carnival cruises for the Eastern and Western Caribbean. I am thinking of trying a Royal Caribbean Ship for our Southern Caribbean Cruise next year? Is there any reasons why I should or should not make the switch? Thanks

I would just do it to try something different. Check prices, itinerary and ship info then make a decision. As I've posted in other posts, I like the different lines for different reasons and I enjoy trying different things and then judge for myself.

On RRCL I liked the promenade area, the parades and the ship Voyager was beautifull. Food and shows were about even with CCL. Why not try something new?

Why not? If Carnival does not offer a ship with an itinerary that you like, it doesn't hurt to broaden your horizons and try something new... it really depends on what exactly you DO like about Carnival and whether or not you will be missing that on RCL. I don't think it ever hurts to try something new, especially if one line does not offer something that another one does... I'm looking into doing a quickie on RCL this summer, just to see how I like it, not sure I'm ready to commit to a full week :D

We have sailed both lines and find there is very little difference. Carnival entertainment and food are better, service a little better on RCI. RCI will be more expensive then Carnival for most cruises. That being said, if you can sail a voyager class ship, by all means, take the ship! The Adventurer of the Seas sails the Southern Caribbean and would probably be more eventful then the Carnival Destiny. Hope you have a great trip!

HI: I have cruised on both (and a few other) I have to say that RCCL is my favorite and Carnival is my second.

It really depends on the itinerary but we seem to feel that the service on RCCL is more refined and Carnival is more of a pleasure ship. We usually look at it from this point are we going on the cruise to relax, then we take RCCL or are we going to have lots of fun and party a bit more, then we take Carnival.

Although I think either one is a great cruise line......ENJOY

I agree with the advice of most posters above. Try as many different ships and cruise lines as you can, at least until you find the one you like the best. I've done both lines and enjoyed them tremendously. I'd give a slight edge to RCCL for better service and classier ships, but I would not hesitate to cruise Carnival again for the right price.

I say give it a shot. I will before I'm done cruising. I've never done a Princess Cruise, So I'm going to try them because Galveston is very close to where I live and I have always wanted to just like RCCL. And I will go on Carnival again as well too.

I have been on carnival cruises for the Eastern and Western Caribbean. I am thinking of trying a Royal Caribbean Ship for our Southern Caribbean Cruise next year? Is there any reasons why I should or should not make the switch? Thanks

I've done several lines and I prefer RCCL. I sail CCL mostly for the price. Book a Voyager class vessel first and then see which line you like.

Steve

Since I am a Diamond Member with RCI and a often Carnival Cruiser (9 so far), let's compare the my last two cruises: Mariner vs. Glory

1) RCL has a conceiges lounge

2) Carnival has a waterslide

3) RCL has mini golf, in-line skating, and a rock wall. (Cool if you use it!)

4) RCL had two speciality restaurants (or is it three with Johnny Rockets?), Carnival had one.

5) Glory had lots of places to eat outside, Marnier None.

6) Carnival had laundrettes, Marnier nothing.

7) Marniner had RANCH Steak, Carnival had Filet.

8) Mariner - Full size basketball, Carnival - Smaller than half court

9) Carnival - More self serve ice cream stations serving Ice Cream and Frozen Yogart. On the Mariner if you wanted Ice Cream you had to pay for it!

10) In my opinion, the food is a toss up. But Carnival has more free speciality stuff (Fish & Chips, Deli, etc.)

11) In my opinion, the activities and entertainment go to Carnival.

12) In price comparisons, CCL is generally less expensive. I guess this makes RCI more upscale.

13) Glory left on a Saturday and the Mariner left on a Sunday - Same embarkation port. Could make a difference to some people.

14) The Room service menu on RCI was much nicer than CCL - More Choices!

15) RCL treats repeat customers much better

16) Carnival has the Ocean Player Club, RCL had nothing like this at all!

Hope this helps.

As others have said you will not know until you give it a try. You will find some things that you like better on RCI and some that you like better on Carnival. Everyone has different opinions on different things. Nothing beats seeing and experiencing something on your very own!

9) Carnival - More self serve ice cream stations serving Ice Cream and Frozen Yogart. On the Mariner if you wanted Ice Cream you had to pay for it!

Did they get rid of the Sprinkles Soft Serve on the Promenade? It was right next to the Ben & Jerry's and it was free. At least it was there in September.

I've been on 3 RCL and 2 Carnival going on my third in March. I perfer RCL when going alone with my boyfriend. More of a couples luxury atomosphere. I go on Carnival when going with a group and want to party. Either way you will have a great time.

The Ice cream on the Adventure of the Seas was free when we were on. You could get it by the pool and also the promenade.

The AOS did the ports we were more interested in! There are not many other lines that sail from San Juan all the way down to Aruba. We loved Aruba and loved Curacao even more. Then, it is really nice to leave the desert climates and go on to lush St. Maarten and St. Thomas. I thought it was a really good mix even if we did pay a little more.

If you read the boards, you will see that most people divide RCI and CCL based on food, entertainment, decor, childrens programs, and overall guest rowdyness. If these things as a whole do not sway your decision, I would go based on the ports of interest.

You should try it! :) We have done both and love both. There are great elements about each line. Check out the Serenade of the Seas itinerary. We did this in February. It was AWESOME! It left from San Juan, went to Antigua, Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Lucia. So you get 6 islands in 7 days.....it was really an adventure!:D

DH and I much prefer Carnival....food especially...however, we did an RCI cruise out of San Juan on the Adventure of the Seas....went to Aruba, Curacao, St. Marteen, St. Thomas/John....it was a FANTASTIC itinerary...I'd do it again in a second....however, if Carnival had the same itinerary I would rather stay on Carnival.

I've sailed on BOTH....they are so similar you really couldn't go wrong with either one. You'll find things you like better on one line and some things you like better on the other! I would give Carnival the edge on food and nightlife/entertainment, but RC is more tastefully decorated!

BOTH ARE GREAT....HAVE A GREAT TIME!

We've also been on both. When we book, we look at the ports and number of sea days, and how the schedule is layed out. We enjoy the different ports, and try to avoid having 2 sea days in a row.

The Carnival ships seem a little "gaudy" in decoration to me, but the food and entertainment were better than the RCCL trilp we took. Both lines had outstanding service, clean ships (important to us).

Carnival seemed to have more families with children on board when we went. As the parent of an "only child", this would have interested us when he was younger. It's easier for kids to have a good time when there are others their age to make friends with.

Terry, you are right! It is also Frozen Yogurt on the AOS. It was free though, but it has been almost a year since we were on. Wohoo! That means it is almost time to cruise again! Ahhh..to cruise more than once a year must be heaven.

I am a long time Carnival cruiser and I am on my first Voyager class ship as I type this and I can tell you that Carnival has nothing close to this style ship. It has a "wow" factor like no other. So far I have found the entertainment to be about the same but I like the food on here better than Carnival and the service is where I notice the MAJOR difference. The people on here actually enjoy their jobs and act like it. More after I get back home on Saturday but I say go for it.

Archived