Prescriptions for cruise

sassy73

Hi Everyone:

I'm going to be seeing my doc on Monday probably for the last time before the cruise. Is there anything I should get specifically for the cruise? I love my doc, but it is hard to get a appointment with her, so want to make sure I take care of everything. Thanks!

I thought you were trying to get your doctor to write you a prescription for the cruise so the insurance company would pay for it. My husband always jokes about the same thing with his doctor.

Some people get a prescription for an anti-seasick patch. I think that almost everyone on one of these big ships doesn't get seasick though. They are very stable.

Read52, my DH just had shoulder surgery and is trying to get a prescription for the cruise, too!

This is a little off point, but anyway...

I would like to remind everyone who does bring prescription meds to get copies of your RXs & keep them in a safe place in case something gets lost.

I use insulin syringes & would not want customs to think I am selling them, so I have a letter from my Doctor.

Steve

Some people will get a prescription for antibiotics IF they are going on a long sailing (like several weeks). My own personal opinion is that you should NOT ask for Tamiflu unless you have the flu (and hence are not sailing).

If you are prone to seasickness you could talk to your doctor about using scopolomine in either the patch or pill form.

If you take prescription medications you should keep them in the origianal pharmacy bottles. This not only shows the medication has been prescribed for you but, in case of emergency, it provides information to those caring for you such as the medication, strength, and dose. Especially if you have preexisting conditions, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc, you may want to make a wallet card with medications, include dose and frequency of taking, allergies and the conditions for which you are being treated.

As you might have niticed by my screen name, I am a paramedic and all the above have been very helpful to me in taking care of folks who are sick or injured.

Seasick patches if you think you will need them. We got them our first cruise but never used them. Make sure you have any regular prescriptions you'll need. Other than that, you shouldn't need anything unless there is an emergency. Take some OTC meds with you like Tylenol, Advil, etc. for minor aches or pains or sinus meds if you are prone to sinus headaches. And we always carry a small first aid kit (bandaids, antibacterial ointment, etc).

The patches are highly effective at relieving motion sickness. However, for many people, they cause a very unpleasant side effect - badly blurred vision. I experienced this problem many years ago while on a sailing vacation. Since then, it seems that on every cruise I sit with someone who has used the patch to prevent seasickness - and has to have the menu read to them 'cause they can't focus on it. Seems such a shame to travel to exotic places and not be able to see them properly!

There are other homeopathic and OTC meds (wrist bands, ginger root, Bonine, and many others) that are highly effective without the side effects. You might want to explore some of those on these boards.

I always pack some "just in case" - but I haven't taken anything in years! And I get car sick if the road has three curves in it!

Happy cruising

Donia

If you take prescription medications you should keep them in the origianal pharmacy bottles. This not only shows the medication has been prescribed for you but, in case of emergency, it provides information to those caring for you such as the medication, strength, and dose. Especially if you have preexisting conditions, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc, you may want to make a wallet card with medications, include dose and frequency of taking, allergies and the conditions for which you are being treated.

As you might have niticed by my screen name, I am a paramedic and all the above have been very helpful to me in taking care of folks who are sick or injured.

Thanks for your comments, MedicKen, as well as for the work you do.

I've wondered, do EMS/Emergency medics actually look in a person's wallet to see if that info is available. I have placed a card in DH's and my wallet with that info but I always imagine no one would ever really look for it.

Seasick patches if you think you will need them. We got them our first cruise but never used them. Make sure you have any regular prescriptions you'll need. Other than that, you shouldn't need anything unless there is an emergency. Take some OTC meds with you like Tylenol, Advil, etc. for minor aches or pains or sinus meds if you are prone to sinus headaches. And we always carry a small first aid kit (bandaids, antibacterial ointment, etc).

Another suggestion re: Rx medications is to always bring a larger supply with you than you expect to need. I always bring about 5-7 days (or more) of our medications with us in case we are delayed returning home for whatever reason. Think of the folks who were stranded 9-11 and if they did not have 'extra' meds with them could have had a problem if they absolutely needed that medication daily.

Another suggestion re: Rx medications is to always bring a larger supply with you than you expect to need. I always bring about 5-7 days (or more) of our medications with us in case we are delayed returning home for whatever reason. Think of the folks who were stranded 9-11 and if they did not have 'extra' meds with them could have had a problem if they absolutely needed that medication daily.

Great advice. We learned many lessons on 9/11, sorry to say.

Hi Everyone:

I'm going to be seeing my doc on Monday probably for the last time before the cruise. Is there anything I should get specifically for the cruise? I love my doc, but it is hard to get a appointment with her, so want to make sure I take care of everything. Thanks!

Being an asthmatic I always take antibiotics and prednisone with me just in case I have a flair up. This last cruise I got a script for Zofran and filled it just in case. It is great for those days at sea when you have to deal with some nausea and don't want to feel tired with the Dramamine. I did not need the Zofran but if I did I understand it is safe and interacts well with other meds.

Not accusing you of being "senior" but my Mother is 78, and her doctor told her to come back in before the cruise. He feels she should take a prescription for an antibiotic, just in case. He says you don't want to try going for a sinus infection in Mexico,Jamaica. Ask your doctor. My sister developed an inner ear infection during one of our cruises..shhhhh...don't tell anyone, but we were extremely grateful my mother had a prescription.

I always take extra, also. You never know if you will be delayed for some reason. Good advice.

Archived