I spent a week on Curacao, ask any questions you'd like!

ckrobyn

I spent a whole week on Curacao, rented a jeep, explored the island from top to bottom. If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

My husband and I are in for the day on March 31 - any great suggestions for things for us to do - we love to snorkel ... Your help would be appreciated.. thanks

We were in Curacao in November, but it rained and rained, so we didn't do much. People from the ship bought some great knock off bags and wallets for very low prices. Don't know if the price changes if the sun shines, but we're going next week and I wondered if anyone knows where to find the Coach bags?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! We will be cruising into Curacao on a Sunday this coming May and wondered if shops will be open? If so, is there a better area another (ie. closer to pier vs. farther away or a certain town.)

Thanks!

Susan

• 2 months later...

I cant wait!! I will be there in August!! I am a little unsure of what to do though. We are snorkeling in Aruba, zip lining somewhere else, shopping in St. Thomas....what is there to do in Curacao? Seeing ostriches isnt really our thing...and we dont want to snorkel again...

Is there a local food that we should try? What about a local beer? Jamaica has wonderful jerk to eat and Belize had an awesome beer--Belkin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Hey! :rolleyes: I was wondering if there were any good ATV or dunebuggy tours in Curacao. My boyfriend really wants to do it, and I want to snorkel. We plan to snorkel in Aruba and maybe do ATV'ing in Curacao. Should it be the other way around? If so, what tour would you recommend for snorkeling? Were only there for a day with our cruise in mid-August.

Thanks for the help!

I spent a week in Curacao last year. I have also been to Aruba three time in the past two years and we are returning to Aruba in July. I would reverse your plans and snorkel in Curacao and do the ATV trip in Aruba.

Curacao is world renowned for diving and snorkeling. There are many areas around the island with beautiful reefs just off the beach. Aruba snorkeling is just OK. I dive and have scuba dived in both and Curacao is far superior. The ATV trips in Aruba are a blast and there are things to see on the ATV (Lighthouse, Natural Pool, collapses natural bridge, etc.)

For those going to Curacao for just one day I would skip the Ostrich Farm, unless you are desperate to see an Ostrich up close. The farm is intersting but these are really ugly, smelly animals and the trip is a distance from the port area. I found the Sea Aquarium to be pretty run down and not very impressive. If you must swim with the dolphins this is the only place to do so.

While there are many beaches close by I would suggest you consider a day pass to Breezes. The beach is very nice there, they have plenty of water toys, and I believe with a day pass you can eat all you want. the downtown area is very nice as it is very European. The museum and the synagogue are very intersting downtown and I would try and visit them is this type of "culture" is what you are looking for.

The Avila Beach Hotel, about 5 minutes from downtown, also has a museum of sorts, a very nice beach, and the Blues restaurant, on a pier over their beach. Very nice as this is the locals and vacationeers hangout for live Blues music.

Many, many good restaurants in the area also.

Hello FlightMedic555. I read your review on doing an ATV excursion in Aruba. Can you recommend a company to book it through? Is it also very dusty? Any other information you can give on it I'd really appreciate it. Also, where is the best place to snorkel in Curacao? Btw, I have contacted via email the Breezes several times an get no response. Do you happen to have a contact name or number?

Thank you!

It is very dusty in Aruba. The island is a true desert island and with the exception of the hotel resorts there is very little foliage. True rocks, gravel, sand, dirt, not much else. You may want to look at www.aruba.com and click on the message board for the best ATV tours.

In Curacao I was spoiled as I was writing a magazine article and had the luxury of a tourism guide for my entire stay. I dove at the Hilton House Reef, not bad and better than Aruba as well as at Habitat Dive Resort where we stayed for a few days. The house reef at Habitat is the best I have ever seen. Habitat is off the beaten path and really is only good for divers.

I don't have a contact at Breezes. How long will you be on each island and where are you staying on each?

Thanks for the great information! We will be on the Explorer of the Seas just for one day in Aruba and one day in Curacao (November 8 & 9th). I just want to make sure the we do the "must see/do" things. What was it that you enjoyed most about your ATV adventure?

We rented a 4x4 for the day rather than the ATV. Both really go to the same places. The advantage of the 4x4 is that you can rent one and have it waiting near the dock and then take off and explore. From your comments you seem to want to see the island and take in some adventure at the same time, rather than lie on the beach. You can rent a 4x4 without a top if you want to get really hot, sunburned, and eat some dust.

Presuming this is true I would probably go with renting the 4x4, head down past the high rise hotels to the lighthouse and begin exploring. At the lighthouse the road ends and you drive along the beach and can come close to circumnavigating the island. Along the way you get to some old mines, the natural bridge (now collapsed) and then you can try to find the natural pool. The natural pool is on the Atlantic (rough) side of the island and is basically a naturally sheltered area, about 50' x 50' that is surrounded by boulders. There are about 70 steps, more or less, from the parking area down to the natural pool and the entry into the pool itself can be a little slick. Some people bring a mask to snorkel. The area is not that large and fins are not needed. It is a nice area to cool off.

I would then go to baby beach, which is a great beach to relax and snorkel. It is called baby beach because the water depth is only a few feet going out a really long way. There is a large amount of white sand to relax on. Great area for mask, fins, snorkel. You can probably drive around the entire island, with a stop of about 30 minutes at the natural pool, in about 2- 3 hours. I was not on a cruise ship to Aruba but I believe that you are in port for an entire day. I would find some lunch along the way, ideally take it with you to baby beach, and spend a few hours there. Once back to the port area you can get rid of the car, wash up, and if time permits check out the town. The town is a typical carribean town with Little Switzerland, and all of the standard jewelry shops with questionable prices. There is a rather small "straw market" (maybe 20 booths). Aruba does not have any true Arubian crafts so other than touristy "crap" and tee shirts there is nothing to buy.

Some great restaurants but you are eating for "free" on the ship. I am not a drinker but the evening "booze bus" is supposed to be great if you are a little younger and like to drink.

Hi all, just wanted to say that we have been to both Aruba and Curacao and we liked both.

I would agree with a previous poster who said better to ATV/4x4 in Aruba and snorkel in Curacao.

I have not snorkeled in Curacao but have in Aruba and did not find it to be the best snorkeling.

Aruba is very rugged and so the ATV and 4x4 is a blast!

In Curacao we took our son 13 to the Aquarium and we actually thought the place was pretty good. If you want to swim with something....try swimming with the sea lions....they are wonderful creatures and its less expensive than swimming with the dolphins. I will say though that the water is murky and seems to be all the time as I have seen posted here that many say it's murky.

We had a great time. If you are used to big fancy shows at an Aquarium this is not this place however, if you think you are in the islands....then it's great. It was clean when we were there (last November). We didn't buy any food there so can't comment on that. Since my son was in very timid older people he actually got special attention and alot of time with the sea lions. It was great!

We did see the floating market...quite interesting and also the Synagogue...definitely worth seeing if that's your cup of tea.

We are returning to both places again this fall, so I think snorkeling in Curacao will happen this year! Can't wait.:)

Hi we are going on Adventure of the Sea in Jan. Do you know anything about Spanish Water Snorkel? And what kind of boat is it? From the pix its hard to tell on the RCCL web page. Or if you know of other that are good would love to know about them Thanks Anne

event.png

Just wanted to say that we went to Curacao in early May on AOS...we headed for the acquarium, but instead ended up going to the right at the entrance of the acquarium (we're more beach people than dolphin people). Our taxi driver told us about the whole stretch of beach there with restaurant-type places lined along it. There is snorkeling out by the rocks that is good. Water is beautiful. Sand is beautiful. If you keep on walking down, you'll eventually hit Kontiki Beach and the Toucan Dive Center. Google them to see photos. It's very nice there. We just picked a spot at the beach, rented 2 chairs for $3/pp and had our pick of whichever restaurant to have lunch it. Beautiful place.

• 2 months later...
Guest rfrenchbaxter
I have lived on the island and could help some of you out with some answers.

1. Body boarding or surfing... the best place and probably the only place is on the north shore at a beach called Playa Canoa.

2. The ostrich farm is way out on the eastern/central side of the island by the Aloe Vera plantation on the western side of the Sint Jorisbaai if you have a map. It is OK but a little pricey for what you actually see.

3. The tug boat is on Caracaasbaai island, on the southeastern shore. Fabulous display of fish there. Bring a bit of bread in a little plastic baggie to attract them.

4. The floating market has some great KODAK moment opportunities. If you go in the morning you can see them cut and sell their fish asell as the fruit from Venezuela. It is right around the corner form the pretty row of coloured shops you see on all the promos. Not far to walk from the swinging bridge at all.

Hello,

We will be visiting Curacco in Jan, 2007and want to snorkel but also want to see the Island. We are only there from 11-6. Will we have enough time to tour the Island with a guide and do some snorkeling at Cas Abou?

And if we decider to just have a taxi drop us off at the beach will we have a problem getting one back? Please advise me on what to do!!..Thank you

Rfrenchbaxter

Hi, just wondering if you know of anyplace in Curacao where we can rent a jet ski? Also can you recommend a place to go on an ATV tour.

I know you said that we should do that in Aruba but I have aleady planned for us to rent a jeep while in Aruba.

• 4 weeks later...

We are going for several days ahead of our cruise that leaves from San Juan. Anyway, I have a 3.5 year old daughter, are there any beaches you would recommend for her age, easy/sheltered? Also, are there any public parks with swings/slides, etc?

Any recommendations for restaurants/food? Not looking for high end/formal, more casual. Like waterfront or downtown also instead of just hotel food.

Jenn

• 4 weeks later...
I apologize if this has already been asked, but, is there shopping, pubs, sites to see, etc close enough to walk to from the port or should we plan an organized tour?

I did not see anything on this either and our group is looking for the same thing. We just want to wander, stop for a drink and snacks, wander some more, stop for a drink and snacks, wander, drink, snack,drink,drink,drink and maybe shop.

Is this possible directly from the ship walking?

Thanks so much.

This is a great thread.

Thanks for starting it!

kathyanddick

You can walk into town or take a taxi. I have never walked but I think it is about 20 minutes.

There are lots of shops. My favorite bar is the Iguana that is on the waterfront. You can sit there watching the bridge swing open to allow ships and boats in.

One tour you might enjoy is the Trolley Train. It goes all through the town. The ship provides transportation to the Trolley Train which is right in town. You get dropped off in town and can walk around and shop.

Thanks so much for all this info on the two island. We will be there in three weeks and looking forward to it.

I asked this in a thread a bit back but did not hear much and for those of you who spent so much time on the two islands, you should be able to answer this easy.

I want to bring back some authentic cheese from either Aruba or Curacao. I have heard a few differing opinions. Which island and where is a reasonable place to get those wheels?

I assume they will be wrapped to bring back to the states with no problem. We live in South Florida so air transport is no issue. Just schlepping it to the car in Port Everglades.

Thanks for the help.

Archived