I spent a week on Curacao, ask any questions you'd like!

ckrobyn

Curacao is a great place for diving and/or snorkeling. The island is surrounded by coral therefore making it extraordinary for divers. There are tons of beaches around the island, some are public with amenities, and others are just stretches of beach to explore without all the frills. You will definitely need water shoes if you plan to go to any of the beaches on Curacao as the sand is comprised of coral glass and is hard on the feet!

I'm not sure about jeep tours, but we rented a jeep on our own to explore the island. Unfortunately, Curacao's roads are not well signed, so you will really need to pay close attention to where you are going! The island is not what I would call "beautiful", the nicest areas are around the resorts, otherwise it is quite impoverished and run down. Being a sister island to Aruba, I expected it to be a bit more "upscale", so far it is not. With the increase in tourism, I suspect that more will be done to improve the overall look of Curacao.

The locals are quite friendly, and the food is very good. Where are you staying while you are there, or are you on a stopover from a cruise?

We will be there on a cruise too & want to go to the Seaquarium for the Snorkle Animal Encounter. Did you do that? Should we try to take a short tour before going to the Seaquarium or is there really not much to see? Thanks! Susan

Hi Susan,

The Sea Aquarium is located within walking distance of Breezes Curacao resort. The Aquarium is a great experience, a little pricey though...especially of you want to swim with the dolphins! The Aquarium will take you about 2 hours to see everything, so I suggest you do it first then spend the remainder of the day shopping or on a beach! Expect to pay about $15.00USD in cab fare from the pier to the Aquarium. There is a snack bar at the Aquarium, but there are no real restaurants in the area.....

Have fun! :)

We will be there for a day on a cruise ship.

Where can I get to eat that stuffed cheese thing they have as a specialty...KESHI YENA?? Anything local downtown Willemstad?

Also, I know there is a Rijstaffel restaurant out in the 'burbs. Is there a place like that in the downtown area that I won't have to take a taxi to?

Anything you can provide would be helpful.

Beau

I was going to walk thru town and experience the locals and the atmosphere. Are there any good bars downtown to sit and relax, have fun and talk?

Glen

To answer your question, YES! The downtown area is surrounded by a lovely harbour, and plenty of outdoor type pubs. There is also a marketplace where the locals are selling handmade items that are native to Curacao.

I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

We will be there for a day on a cruise ship.

Where can I get to eat that stuffed cheese thing they have as a specialty...KESHI YENA?? Anything local downtown Willemstad?

Also' date=' I know there is a Rijstaffel restaurant out in the 'burbs. Is there a place like that in the downtown area that I won't have to take a taxi to?

Anything you can provide would be helpful.

Beau[/quote']

I didn't have dinner in downtown Curacao, and I did not see "keshi Yena", I'll admit that I ate a significant amount of yummy cheese on the trip, but to my recollection, I did not come across the stuffed cheese you refer to.

There are some restaurants in the downtown area, although mostly pubs.

We'll be there on a cruise during the upcoming holiday season and are wondering where exactly is the floating market located?

Wish I could help you :rolleyes: I didn't see or hear of a "floating market" the whole time I was in Curacao. I spent a few afternoons downtown in the shopping district and did not see any deals float by!!!

Did you get to Christoffel Park? We are planning to go and want to horseback ride. I was wondering if we had to make reservations or if we could just get a horse when we arrive?

I did go to Christofel Park. I was another person who stayed on the island. I rented a car and drove there, although I no longer remember just how long the drive was--but I think it seemed to be about an hour or so and I had to watch out for in-town traffic and a sneaky traffic circle outside of town.

I didn't do any horseback riding. I nosed around the edges of the park, then proceeded North.

Curacao is a larger island than most people think. I'd put aside notions of thinking that everthing is an easy fifteen minutes away.

I'd strongly recommend a hat and sunblock and water. It's also dry. Parts of Curacao reminded me of ranch country in west Texas that needed brush-clearing--very badly.

We'll be there on a cruise during the upcoming holiday season and are wondering where exactly is the floating market located?

The Floating Market is on the other (landward) side of Willemstadt facing the inner harbor. The floating market doesn't really float. It's an open-air "farmer's market" with fruit, fish, and produce from Venezuela and elsewhere. There are a lot of small craft in the water that brought the goods from elsewhere.

To be double-sure, I'd get and use a map at the first available opportunity.

Thanks for the info.

I'm really looking forward to Curaco. As of right now I want to do a brewery tour in the morning. Then the Ostrich farm and end up in town with the locals.

Did you hear anything about the brewery or ostrich tours?

I just saw on another post you rented a car. I drive fast so I'll fit right in.

Where did you rent it and how much?

Glen

You can't miss the brewery...it's smack dab right in the middle of the Island! Amstel I think? I can't help you with the ostrich question :confused:

We rented our car from Breezes Curacao, they have a car rental counter in the main lobby. The price was good for a jeep, I think it was $60 USD for a 24 hr rental.

Good thing you drive fast...the locals do too! :eek:

ckrobyn - Great Thread!!

Will be in Curacao in a month or so, and we are not real interested in water sports...unless you consider drinking a sport?? :D :D

Have heard about the Kontiki Beach Club at Mambo Beach. Did you happen to go there, or did you find any other fun beach spots?

Thanks! :)

ckrobyn - Great Thread!!

Will be in Curacao in a month or so, and we are not real interested in water sports...unless you consider drinking a sport?? :D :D

Have heard about the Kontiki Beach Club at Mambo Beach. Did you happen to go there, or did you find any other fun beach spots?

Thanks! :)

Hey there ! Glad people are finding this thread useful!

I have definitely heard of Mambo beach, but not specifically the Beach Club you are referring to.

One warning about the beaches on Curcao.....please remember that a soft, powdery sand beach is not what you will find. We drove to at least 6 beaches searching for just ONE that we could walk on without wearing water shoes, and were unable to find it :( The water itself is sensational....crystal blue/green with incredible visibility. Because the island is a diving mecca, I guess everything is a trade off....poor beach/sand quality for excellent diving!

I have also been to Aruba where the beaches ( especially Palm Beach) are so soft you would think you were walking on baby powder! Interesting that Curacao, Bonaire and Aruba are sister Islands but the beach conditions are so different .

All that being said, we had a wonderful time on Curcao and would consider returning ( after we rid ourselves of the cruise bug....like THAT is going to happen! )

Enjoy your day in Port!

Archived