Entry / Mid level DSLR

I'm considering stepping up to a DSLR. I currently have a P&S (It's a Olympus FE-340) which I take everywhere with me, I love that it's small enough to always leave in my purse so I don't miss out on any pictures and while I love a good portion of the pictures I'm able to take, there are some limitations.

The shutter delay can be a pain, and it normally doesn't take great indoor low light pictures (i.e in musems with no flash allowed.)

What would you recommend as a first DSLR for me?

I wouldn't worry too much about what brand of entry-level DSLR to buy - you really can't go wrong with any of the batch available today. What you should do is compare three primary areas:

1. The feel and ergonomics - it is very important that a camera like these - bigger and heavier - be comfortable for you to hold, shoot with, and access all of the controls. Each person may have their own personal feel, and the cameras are a little different...so really you should try holding them and see which is most comfortable and intuitive for you.

2. Features - which do you want? Stabilization in lens, or in body? Live View? Video? Spot metering? Tilt/Swivel LCD? Bigger optical viewfinder, or bigger LCD? Check out those features on each, and see which strike you...that will help steer you to a particular camera or at least narrow the selection.

3. Price - Maybe there's a great blowout on one brand. Maybe it's a closeout model. Maybe the body's not the cheapest, but the lenses you want are priced great.

That would be my advice. If I could ever caution on one thing, it would be not to buy on brand name alone. Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Canon - all great DSLRs. And there are others too who make DSLRs, which are fine cameras. When I was shopping for a DSLR last year, I shopped all brands, and ended up settling on a Sony Alpha A300. The price was good, the ergonomics were just right for me, the grip was comfortable, the controls were intuitive for me, and I liked the in-body stabilization so I could buy older used lenses for cheap and still reap the benefits of stabilization...and I liked Sony's live view implementation for those rare times I use it. I don't think I made a better choice than someone else who buys a Nikon or Canon or Olympus...I just found a camera that fit me well, had the features I wanted, and the price was right!

Hope that helps.

I'm considering stepping up to a DSLR. I currently have a P&S (It's a Olympus FE-340) which I take everywhere with me, I love that it's small enough to always leave in my purse so I don't miss out on any pictures and while I love a good portion of the pictures I'm able to take, there are some limitations.

The shutter delay can be a pain, and it normally doesn't take great indoor low light pictures (i.e in musems with no flash allowed.)

What would you recommend as a first DSLR for me?

As the OP said that the images from almost all the major players are good and you will likely not be disappointed in their performance in low light or speed of focus compared to the best P&S. If specifically you are after the best low light the D300/D90/D5000 are the class leaders. The other makers are very very close and it is only when you look zoomed in on your screen can you see the difference. As the OP said, make sure that you go play with them in a store and that the buttons/dials and the whole package feels good.

Here are a few links to some summary reviews:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_slr_consumer

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_slr_enth

Camera's are somewhat like cars. If you score features there are better ones but sometimes personal preference for a certain feature/performance drive a different selection then the best overall. There is a reason not everyone buys a Honda/Toyota or Nikon/Canon ;)

I came here looking for basically the same information as the OP. My 17 year old is ready for a digital SLR. He has been taking photography ins chool and will be taking advanced photography next year.

We want to get him a digital SLR for his 18th birthday. I'd like one that he won't outgrow too soon, but can grow with. He is leaving for Israel in 6 weeks and wants to take it with him. We are looking for cheap up up to about $700. Any suggestions on shich camers and wehre to buy them? I was just looking on ebay but it is so confusing.

I came here looking for basically the same information as the OP. My 17 year old is ready for a digital SLR. He has been taking photography ins chool and will be taking advanced photography next year.

We want to get him a digital SLR for his 18th birthday. I'd like one that he won't outgrow too soon, but can grow with. He is leaving for Israel in 6 weeks and wants to take it with him. We are looking for cheap up up to about $700. Any suggestions on shich camers and wehre to buy them? I was just looking on ebay but it is so confusing.

cameta store on ebay for a refurb is a reasonable vendor. I'd avoid private unless you really know what you are looking for.

B&H, Adorama and Amazon are good vendors to also search. Costco is another good place to look

Two very reasonable price cameras that are somewhat "last" years model but still sell used/refurb for very good price are the Nikon D80 or the Canon 40D. Two years ago these were the top mid-range, as with computers every couple years what was a capable camera is quickly replaced by one more superior if only incrementally. Both can be had with single lens in the 700 buck range.

Having just moved up to a DSLR was a great decision for me. I was recently at an event that had horrible lighting, often just a spot with performers constantly moving, this camera performed where I know that even my advanced point and shoot couldn't. I shot at 1600 speed (which I wouldn't recommend for all situations) and got very usable pictures with no flash. I also shot on continuous and took a ton of pictures, getting some good ones.

I am the type of person that doesn't need the latest and greatest, so I purchased a previous model camera at a fantastic price, saved a ton, and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

as others have said, you can't really go wrong with any brand of DSLR, just find one that feels good and gives you the best value.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with most of what everyone is saying- you can't go wrong with the entry-level Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus cameras.

I moved up from my compact to my first DSLR 2 yaers ago and after much research and handling chose the Sony Alpha 100.

I've been very happy with the shots taken with this DSLR and have bought several lenses for this camera since then.

However when I took the Sony on it's first vacation I found it to be too much of a camera for the trip. It was just too heavy to carry (in it's bag with an extra battery, media and a 2nd lens).

I still did not want to go back to my ultra-zoom digital camera (too slow), so I went out looking for the highest rated smallest and lightest dslr that I could find. I chose the Olympus E-420. It was just barely larger than my compact, takes great pictures and has been on several vacations with me. No Question-that even though I brought an extra battery and lens in a bag this camera was a better traveler.

The only thing this entry level dslr lacks is image stabilisation. It's one of the few Olympus dslr that does not have it in the camera. If you really feel you must have the image stabilsation, Olympus just came out with the E-620. Just slightly larger but has built in image stabilisation.

I now have the SONY A100 for home and local events and The Olympus E-420.

for travel.

BTW- Both Sony and Olympus entry level cameras are relatively inexpensive. Both can be had under $500 including kit lens.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to come back to post an update but got caught up with cruise planning and then the cruise itself :)...I ended up picking up a Nikon D5000 and am very very happy with my choice. I bought it a couple of weeks before the cruise and while I didn't really have time to figure out how to use it off of manual, got some great shots. I also frantically read as much as I could from the boards before hand, which helped immensly.

Now that I'm back, I hope to spend more time learning how to use it manually....but even on automatic the shots I got (I think at least ;) ) were wonderful!

Thanks for the help!

1697251491_balticcruise5-09070.jpg.3103dab1389523a0d3a10d807ca07036.jpg

1696388541_CatherinePalace.jpg.7dd219ca76006137c0d8d6d6cb79fd46.jpg

I've been meaning to come back to post an update but got caught up with cruise planning and then the cruise itself :)...I ended up picking up a Nikon D5000 and am very very happy with my choice. I bought it a couple of weeks before the cruise and while I didn't really have time to figure out how to use it off of manual, got some great shots. I also frantically read as much as I could from the boards before hand, which helped immensly.

Now that I'm back, I hope to spend more time learning how to use it manually....but even on automatic the shots I got (I think at least ;) ) were wonderful!

Thanks for the help!

Fantastic,

That camera has some nice features and I have seen a really good review of it as well.

BTW, I did the Baltic and that is one cruise (went to the exact place you have in this picture) that you need a good DSLR that can operate in low light because flashes are not allowed in many areas. I would love to go back with my new camera and lens although I got some outstanding pictures.

Archived