New Menus for 7-Day Cruises

kimchee1212

What do they do for a two week cruise? Do they repeat the 7 day menus? Or is there a completely different 2nd week menu?

For a two week cruise, there will be different menus for each night - no repeats. There are many more theme nights available (i.e. Caribbean, more "Princess" dinners etc.) than just listed on these 7 day menus. I don't think you even see repeat menus in the really long cruises, like 30+ days.

I guess I'll be the first in this thread to say that I am not that thrilled with the menu. I definitelyl think that I won't be gaining a lot of weight on this cruise. Almost all of the appetizers and soups don't sound like anything I want to even try so I'll be saving calories there. If I can stay away from the sweets I really can save some weight.

"Almost all of the appetizers and soups don't sound like anything I want to even try..."

Great. I'll take your share. I saw several things from each day I would want to try. Must be a bummer to be so finicky. ;)

I guess I'll be the first in this thread to say that I am not that thrilled with the menu. I definitelyl think that I won't be gaining a lot of weight on this cruise. Almost all of the appetizers and soups don't sound like anything I want to even try so I'll be saving calories there. If I can stay away from the sweets I really can save some weight.

I am looking forward to the lobster and the prawns but every is right about how small the lobster has gotten.....oh well....I know I can get two if I want. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I hear you loud and clear-on royal caribbean it was so hard to decide because everything was something I liked.

This will only be my second cruise and eating is one of my favorite things. I don't want to sound greedy or piggy, but will they allow you to order two entrees if you can' pick between them? For instance, I could skip soup/salad and get seafood and a veg. entree. Or perhaps I'd skip an appetizer and my husband I have 3 entrees between us? Some things look too good to pass up! Thanks for posting this info.

This will only be my second cruise and eating is one of my favorite things. I don't want to sound greedy or piggy, but will they allow you to order two entrees if you can' pick between them? For instance, I could skip soup/salad and get seafood and a veg. entree. Or perhaps I'd skip an appetizer and my husband I have 3 entrees between us? Some things look too good to pass up! Thanks for posting this info.

Yes, you can order two entrees (or two appetizers, two desserts, etc.). I did this on one of the formal nights to make surf-and-turf (the lobster was small enough to make this easy!) But, please finish what you take, food waste is an unfortunate part of cruises.

• 1 month later...
I hear you loud and clear-on royal caribbean it was so hard to decide because everything was something I liked.

That just shows how objective food is. I did not like the food on Royal Caribbean at all, found much of it to be overcooked and dry and the selections very poor.

I have really enjoyed your review! We'll be going on this cruise in a month and can't wait. From your pictures, my son appears to be the same age as yours. How was the cruise for him? What type of activities were in the teen area?

Also, did you go to the Crown Grill? It's our anniversary, and we are hoping to go there. The hard part is deciding which night with the late night in some ports and the regular dining menu.

My last question is how rough the seas were on the beginning and end of your cruise into Seattle. We are a further to the front than I wanted so I am a little nervous w/ my DH and motion sickness.

I look forward to hearing the rest of your review!

You know maybe it has to do with each ship and different chefs.I am very particular and founfd nothing dry or overcooked-I hate that!

That just shows how objective food is. I did not like the food on Royal Caribbean at all, found much of it to be overcooked and dry and the selections very poor.

Thank you for taking the time to post that. It is the same menu that was offered on the Caribbean Princess. I saved it to a word document for future reference. It will help me to plan which night I want to eat in a specialty restaurant. I try to book Sabitini's on Italian night but I never know which night that is in the dining room.

I have really enjoyed your review! We'll be going on this cruise in a month and can't wait. From your pictures, my son appears to be the same age as yours. How was the cruise for him? What type of activities were in the teen area?

Also, did you go to the Crown Grill? It's our anniversary, and we are hoping to go there. The hard part is deciding which night with the late night in some ports and the regular dining menu.

My last question is how rough the seas were on the beginning and end of your cruise into Seattle. We are a further to the front than I wanted so I am a little nervous w/ my DH and motion sickness.

I look forward to hearing the rest of your review!

I'll put my answer in the review thread, just to keep everything in place :p

Thank you for posting.

But what happened to the pastas?

Princess has always had a pasta dish each night, and they were so delicious. Sigh... I fondly remember the dys when Princess had a 'Pasta Course' and they would make it for you at the table...

Sorry... guess you can see I'm a pasta freak. ;)

I returned from the Diamond Princess (Alaska Southbound) a week ago. They told me they had just made some changes to the menu (a week or two earlier), and there is no longer French Onion Soup or Escargot on the menu.

WHAT? Those are two of our favorites!!!!

Yikes! I guess we'll be looking for new favorites!

Thank you for posting.

But what happened to the pastas?

Princess has always had a pasta dish each night, and they were so delicious. Sigh... I fondly remember the dys when Princess had a 'Pasta Course' and they would make it for you at the table...

Sorry... guess you can see I'm a pasta freak. ;)

Oh, they still have 2 pastas every night on the "Always Available" side. One is Fettuccine Alfredo, and the other changes each night.

Oh, they still have 2 pastas every night on the "Always Available" side. One is Fettuccine Alfredo, and the other changes each night.

Yes, but the other ones they had on the main menu were always much more interesting. I remember one with rabbit in a brown gravy-style sauce that was fantastic. ANd so many others...

Well, I'll just look forward to trying new things. Taking away my favorites just means I will find new ones.

Hmmm, I wonder what happened to the homestyle item that was offered each night? That was new when we were on the Emerald in January and a couple of them were quite good (beef stroganoff for example). I'm actually surprised that the whole fleet has the same menus but I guess I never thought about it before! Thanks for posting these.

Hmmm, I wonder what happened to the homestyle item that was offered each night? That was new when we were on the Emerald in January and a couple of them were quite good (beef stroganoff for example). I'm actually surprised that the whole fleet has the same menus but I guess I never thought about it before! Thanks for posting these.
I was on the Sapphire shortly after they introduced the new menu. It was MUCH better than the old menu. The French Onion Soup was... incredibly good, better than I've had anywhere else that I can remember. I tried the homestyle menu item, meatloaf, and it was disgusting. I know food can be very subjective but I have NEVER had meatloaf that was light pink, mushy and tasted like Spam. And, it had a mushroom sauce. Give me a good, well-cooked meatloaf with a tomato paste crust and I'm in heaven but this was downright awful.

Archived