Rumbaba

WJBonds

Hi gang. Just returned from the 11/27 sailing of the Zuiderdam. Not happy with any of the ship's tours, I did some pre-cruise research and decided a morning sail in St. Thomas would be ideal.

Wanting just a quiet cruise for my wife and myself, we looked at the smaller yachts and found the Rumbaba, a 38 ft. sailboat.

Well, we had the ship for the morning of Tuesday, Nov. 30. What a great time. Bob, the owner and Captain, and Karen, the mate, were two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. We visited all of the islands that we were interested in seeing and had the best possible morning.

All of the arrangments were made from N.Y. by telephone and everything was as promised. No uncomfortable moments and a morning of pure pleasure.

I feel that the least I could do was to say some nice things about my sail on Cruise Critic. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask while the details are still fresh in my mind.

• 4 weeks later...

We visited St. Thomas when we cruised with Royal Caribbean the week of Nov. 15, 2004. We took a chance and booked Rumbaba ($110.00 per person) and it was fabulous!!!!! The entire experience was FIRST CLASS. The food, cooked to order on board,(no prepackaged sandwiches like you usually see), along with amazing appetizers and salads, we felt like we were eating at a fancy restaurant. The snorkeling was amazing, the snorkeling gear was first rate,and the instructions and tips from Bob (the Captain) were great. We can't say enough good things about Bob & Tamara (Bob's 1st mate).

They were great fun, entertaining and well educated about the area. We had a marvelous time and cannot think of one negative thing to say about the experience! This charter far exceeded our expectations and we highly recommend it! Happy Sailing, JT & DEB.

:) What a WONDERFUL time we had with Rumbaba Charters! Our day sailing with Bobby and Karen was the highlight of our Cruise. Everything was arranged (independent of our cruiseline) by phone. We saw more islands, snorkeled away from the crowds, and had a truly delicious gourmet lunch, cooked on board, and beautifully served. Captain Bobby and Karen are such gracious hosts, interesting, relaxed, and congenial. They made our day a truly memorable, thoroughly pleasurable vacation experience. Rumbaba Charters deserves our highest recommendation--as a bargain and a really great time on the water!

I am so excited to read all these great reviews. I just booked with Karen for the afternoon when we are in St. Thomas the first week of Feb.!

To those that have sailed with them, how did you get to the marina? Did you make any prior arrangements or did you just use the regular cab line? How long did it take you to get there?

Thanks! :)

WJ Bonds, we have them booked for a half day sail Jan 22 and there are only two of us so far. Their web site says the cost is $80 per person. I have e-mailed Karen to verify the price, but that is what I was quoted earlier. If they tell me it's more if only 2 of us go then I'm not interested. $320 is way too much for 4 hours.

Susie

Are you prone to any sea sickness on a sailboat? We have been on a catameran and powerboats and have had no problems.
CorB - I think this question was for me......we are all pretty sea worthy. DW used to actually sail on her own.

I'm with WJBonds as far as the price. There are four of us and we have chartered the afternoon as a private sail. Here's the way I see it....I have not been on a cruise yet where by the end of the end we haven't made great new friends. This will be a great chance to invite along a third couple....or have a great afternoon for the four of us.

alylee777 - They do have shade and a bathroom. Here is the link to their website where they have pictures. Looks like they have a cabin inside and can also put up a canopy outside.

http://www.rumbabacharters.com/

I will update this thread when we get back (2/6) to let everyone know how it went!

• 2 years later...

We are booked for Dec 11, 2007. There is 1 other couple booked with us, so far. We weren't told there wouold be another fee if less than 6 sailed. At any rate, the reviews are good, and we cannot wait to go. What islands would be nice to request to stop at??? I am hoping thye know where to sail to. We are looking forward to both the sail and the lunch provided...sounds very good. Also meeting other couples and becoming friends for the day will be nice.

Thanks to all that posted, it is nice to get preview advice.

Archived