Disappointed in rccl

We booked our cruise a few weeks ago, and prior to booking I called and asked if any discounts came out if they could be applied to our booking. I knew something would come out yet, and was considering waiting for a discount. I was assured that anything that was offered, could be applied and was encouraged to book as soon as possible. However, this weekend I saw that there is a sale next week that would allow us a $200 onboard credit. I called to see what I could do to have it applied and was told this was for new bookings only. They will not even allow you to cancel and rebook again during the sale. I really feel that I was lied to by the customer service agent I spoke to, but unfortunately, they are not willing to work with us at all. I have called and sent an email to the complaints department. Thanks for listening to my rant. We have cruised with at least 5 other cruise lines and RCCL has been our favourite. However, I am not sure I will ever book with them again, as I know other cruise lines have always honored these types of discounts.

Are you refering to the WOW! sale coming up? When you read the fine print it states: "Offer applies to new individual bookings" and "Any existing booking that is cancellend between April 28 and May 5, 2009 and is rebooked for the same sailing on May 5 and 6, 2009 will not be eligible to receive the offer." Do you have anything in writing? Are you working with a travel agent? Maybe they can help. $200 onboard credit would be really great. I hope it works out. Maybe if you complain enough you might get a $50 onboard credit. Have a great cruise!

Are you refering to the WOW! sale coming up? When you read the fine print it states: "Offer applies to new individual bookings" and "Any existing booking that is cancellend between April 28 and May 5, 2009 and is rebooked for the same sailing on May 5 and 6, 2009 will not be eligible to receive the offer." Do you have anything in writing? Are you working with a travel agent? Maybe they can help. $200 onboard credit would be really great. I hope it works out. Maybe if you complain enough you might get a $50 onboard credit. Have a great cruise!

Any reserviation will say "new bookings only" in the fine print. RCI mostly ignores that, but for Tuesday specials and "WOW" sales they do not. I wish they would just either honor all price drops and specials or not. That way nobody has to guess whether they will or won't. In any event, I think the customer service reps need to dispense more accurate information (which means they need to know that sometimes you can't get the price drop or OBC).

We booked months ago on the LOS for June 09. I've kept my eye on the RCCL website and they finally offered discounts on our cruise cabin catagory, part of a residency discount. I got $400 off one cabin and $800 off the other, but it was mainly in return of points to my Hilton Grand Vacation Club Account.

Disney Girl, you don't say when your cruise is but discounts can occur at any time, but usually at 60 days before your sail date. The WOW sale does specify in the fine print will not apply to rebooks. Just keep your eyes out for a price drop one the web site.

Jacquelyn :D

We booked our cruise a few weeks ago, and prior to booking I called and asked if any discounts came out if they could be applied to our booking. I knew something would come out yet, and was considering waiting for a discount. I was assured that anything that was offered, could be applied and was encouraged to book as soon as possible. However, this weekend I saw that there is a sale next week that would allow us a $200 onboard credit. I called to see what I could do to have it applied and was told this was for new bookings only. They will not even allow you to cancel and rebook again during the sale. I really feel that I was lied to by the customer service agent I spoke to, but unfortunately, they are not willing to work with us at all. I have called and sent an email to the complaints department. Thanks for listening to my rant. We have cruised with at least 5 other cruise lines and RCCL has been our favourite. However, I am not sure I will ever book with them again, as I know other cruise lines have always honored these types of discounts.

Same thing happened to us - booked a Grand Suite and two balcony cabins on the Adventurer for July 2010, big family celebration, asked if we could cancel and then re-book to receive the onboard credit and was told NO - not too pleased, but I guess they are trying to generate new business.

may be instead of trying to generate new business they should look after loyal cruisers I know for sure we will never book early again as they wont honour the price drops here in Australia:( so next time we book through them we will wait till the last minute dosnt make sense really as they have are deposit for months and then the final payment sixty days before we cruise and yet no price drops for us and believe me I have tried its very very frustrating:confused:

Did you book at a price you were were happy with at that moment? If the price was out of line would you have booked or would you book with merely a hope that a price drop would make it cheaper? I have only been able to get a discount a time or two. We book onboard each year for the next year and as other mention, check now and then for discounts. Basically, I watch CC boards and see if someone on the same cruise as we have booked finds a discount. I then follow up.

We are sailing in September, so I am sure there might be a discount yet and we will definately watch for it. However, if we had waited, we would have been able to have both - the $200 credit and any discounts. I just wish that the representatives would have told me that some discounts or sales only apply to new bookings. In that case, I could have at least made an informed decision about waiting. Thanks for all of your support. I was told that if enough people complained they might change that policy, so if anyone else is having the same problem, be sure to send them an email. Thanks

We are sailing in September, so I am sure there might be a discount yet and we will definately watch for it. However, if we had waited, we would have been able to have both - the $200 credit and any discounts. I just wish that the representatives would have told me that some discounts or sales only apply to new bookings. In that case, I could have at least made an informed decision about waiting. Thanks for all of your support. I was told that if enough people complained they might change that policy, so if anyone else is having the same problem, be sure to send them an email. Thanks
They will never change that policy. If they did, everyone would cancel and rebook.

Check the price of your cruise on the WOW sale days. I've seen reports here on the boards of prices sometimes being escalated for these sales so if the price is higher than what you booked at, it may make you feel better. ;)

I am in the process of trying to book a cruise tonight before the WOW sale. I have noticed many times the prices go up prior to a WOW sale. I have a cruise on hold with the residency rate and if my DD can get off we are booking tonight. I figure the $120 savings with the residency rate is better than taking a chance on the cruise going up and only getting $50 in OBC.

for those who keep mentioning the $200 OBC, keep in mind that is for longer sailings only. It is only $100 for seven nighters and $50 for five nights.

In my opinion, this is no sale.

Yeah, it's not really 'WOW!', it's more like, 'hm.'

Disney Girl -- yes it stinks and I've often had that same discussion w/the people at the RCCL call center. You are basically being penalized for booking early.

An end-around to getting some OBC -- sometimes travel agencies will give you an OBC if you transfer your existing reservation to them. Be sure you understand the ramifications of doing so first but the OBC can be substantial.

Why should we complain when most of us know this is their policy? The WOW is supposed to be a sale but in reality you are not getting much. You always need to check the fine print. Caveat emptor.

I might be a bit dense but once you have booked your cruise/holiday how can you get money back if the cost goes down. Does this apply to UK customers aswell or just the US ones? I'd have thought that once you'd booked it it was a case of tough that's the price you have agreed to pay for it.

Just gone in a re priced our Nov cruise and its nearly £700 more than when we booked it in Feb. So the $200 onboard credit would not have made a dent in that really.

You are sailing the Navigator? I take it this is a seven night? If so, then again, it wouldn't even been $200, more like $100 OBC

I might be a bit dense but once you have booked your cruise/holiday how can you get money back if the cost goes down. Does this apply to UK customers aswell or just the US ones? I'd have thought that once you'd booked it it was a case of tough that's the price you have agreed to pay for it.

If the price drops after you've booked, RCCL will usually allow you to have the lower price as long as it is not for new bookings only. Typically the Tuesday deals and any sales, like the WOW sales, are for new bookings only which unfortunately the OP seems to have encountered.

If you booked through a TA, it is up to them whether or not they will give you price drops. If they don't, I would find a new TA.

The thing is with price drops, they are not automatic. You must watch for them and request them to be applied to your booking if one appears.

You are sailing the Navigator? I take it this is a seven night? If so, then again, it wouldn't even been $200, more like $100 OBC

No the navigator is this sat. Jewel on the seas in Nov from Miami is 11days so would have been $200 OBC.

Thanks for the info on the price drops something to remember for future.

Hi everyone! I just put a cruise on hold (Freedom Nov 8) If I wait until tomorrow would I be eligible for the Wow sale? I like the cabin 9406 (back balcony) and the price is ok, $1270 pp. If the price drops and I am booked with the Wow sale can I request the price discount? How is the price for that time of year? I have always cruised in summer and it is less than summer rates for sure! Thanks for the help!

Hi everyone! I just put a cruise on hold (Freedom Nov 8) If I wait until tomorrow would I be eligible for the Wow sale? I like the cabin 9406 (back balcony) and the price is ok, $1270 pp. If the price drops and I am booked with the Wow sale can I request the price discount? How is the price for that time of year? I have always cruised in summer and it is less than summer rates for sure! Thanks for the help!

I may be wrong but I remember having the same questions a few months back and the answers I received said that the hold is not a reservation and if the wow sale is cheaper than you can book with RCCl directly but I was told not to mention the hold. I never got an answer on whether you can get the same roon you have on hold though.

Archived