A day and a half of free time in Fairbanks

W5KAP

We are sailing on 22 June on the Island out of Vancouver northbound for a 12 day cruise/land tour. On 3 July we have the entire afternooon and all of the 4th (our flights are at 2140). My question is what is there to do beyond the gold panning and riverboat cruise? I am thinking of renting a van (7 of us) and exploring. I am looking specifically at the Streese highway. BQ do you have any favorite things you do in this area that might be fun for a family of 7?? I look forward to any and all sugestions. Wildlife sightings would be really nice but an added bonus. :)

Cheers, Kenn

Kenn, the university fo Fairbanks has a nice museum and there is always the musk ox farm!

The museum sounds great but not too sure about the Musk OX heheheh. Well, we have a lot of time to kill so thanks for the ideas!! Keep

'em coming

Cheers, Kenn

We drove out the Chena highway to the hot springs resort (VERY rustic but fun, and the warm rock pool was so relaxing). Many nice hiking trails along the way, as well as some interesting wildlife/birds.

Thanks for the idea. Sounds interesting. I had in mind trying to ge to the arctic circle but I see the Streese highway stops about 50 miles from it. Nuts. I saw the Chena highway too but didn't investigate it much. Now I will. Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers, Kenn

PS where are you in MN?? We have a lot of family up there

If you are looking for a good place to eat - check out the Cheena River Pump House. Weather permitting, you can eat outside and view the river. Neat place and food is good too!! We ate dinner there and I had the Reindeer Tenderloin, hubby had Halibut - ummmm! The bar area has couches and coffetables set up into sitting areas where you can have your drinks while waiting for your table. :)

If you are looking for a good place to eat - check out the Cheena River Pump House. Weather permitting, you can eat outside and view the river. Neat place and food is good too!! We ate dinner there and I had the Reindeer Tenderloin, hubby had Halibut - ummmm! The bar area has couches and coffetables set up into sitting areas where you can have your drinks while waiting for your table. :)

Thanks, that sounds wonderful. Reindeer eh!! That would be a new one for me!! We always like to find neat places to eat. And if you can sit outside and enjoy the views it is even better!

Thanks again,

Cheers, Kenn

If the Arctic Circle crossing is a priority, I ONLY recommend the fly/van tours which are excellent. You can NOT drive there, unless you have a specific, approved rental, AND the ability to be totally self sufficient. It is also NOT done via the Steese, it's the Dalton Highway.

I don't find Chena Hot Springs as good as it previously was under a different ownship. Also way superior in the winter. It is a high cost for a "swim". IF doing this be certain to have an old crappy suit, as some will change funky colors.

The Musk ox TOUR is excellent at the Fairbanks U, again if of interest. There also is a raindeer farm and nice botanical garden. For birds Creamers Field has nice hiking trails, some exhibits. The Ice Museum and Public Lands building, downtown are worth while with the interest. Pioneer Park is interesting, good show at the Palace Theater and good salmon bake. http://www.explorefairbanks.com

If the Arctic Circle crossing is a priority, I ONLY recommend the fly/van tours which are excellent. You can NOT drive there, unless you have a specific, approved rental, AND the ability to be totally self sufficient. It is also NOT done via the Steese, it's the Dalton Highway.

I don't find Chena Hot Springs as good as it previously was under a different ownship. Also way superior in the winter. It is a high cost for a "swim". IF doing this be certain to have an old crappy suit, as some will change funky colors.

The Musk ox TOUR is excellent at the Fairbanks U, again if of interest. There also is a raindeer farm and nice botanical garden. For birds Creamers Field has nice hiking trails, some exhibits. The Ice Museum and Public Lands building, downtown are worth while with the interest. Pioneer Park is interesting, good show at the Palace Theater and good salmon bake. www.explorefairbanks.com

BQ, thanks so much. I knew you would be your usual self; a fountain of great info. I guess it just comes down to what we decide to do. I did forget it was the Dalton highway. I looked into the van tours to Circle and they are outrageously expensive. Guess I won't make the Arctic Cricle this trip. The musem looks good to me. we may just drive around as well and see (hopefully) some wildlife. After 12 days out of a suitcase I am sure we will be pooped too. I will hit the link you sent. Thanks again for your much appreciated help.

Cheers, Kenn :)

Kenn,

We did a cruisetour last year starting in Fairbanks and also came in a day earlier. We rented a van (8 people) drove to North Pole Alaska, I was a little disapointed but the grandchildren love the pictures of reindeer and the wall of letters to Santa. Then we went to the musuem at Fairbanks, this was excellent, well worth it, we then continued on to Chena Hot Springs great drive did see several moose. 4 people went in the springs themselves while others just hiked around the area and checked out the garden. We all went to the Ice Musuem (a little expensive) but none of us had ever been to this type of structure before took lots of pictures. We then headed to the Salmon Bake at Pioneer park for supper and walked around a bit. It was a long day but everyone was so glad that we got to see a little of the Fairbanks area. Next trip I think we will plan on artic circle, there just was not enough time.

What ever you decide, the scenery and just talking to the locals and finding out about theirs lives was great. Everyone was so helpful and kind. You will have a great time.

Kind regards

Pat

Thanks for the idea. Sounds interesting. I had in mind trying to ge to the arctic circle but I see the Streese highway stops about 50 miles from it. Nuts. I saw the Chena highway too but didn't investigate it much. Now I will. Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers, Kenn

PS where are you in MN?? We have a lot of family up there

We live up in northern MN near duluth.

I agree with BQ about the old bathing suit for Chena...the water has a really high mineral content. I can see how a nice layer of snow would spruce up the place as well (it really has the look of someplace that has seen better days, and that was in '04). The surrounding area was really beautiful for hiking, but there have been some major forest fires since then, so not sure of the immediate vicinity now, but should still find some nice hiking along the way (we especially enjoyed the Angel Rocks trail).

We actually stayed at the chena resort overnight...the room was VERY dated and rustic, but we did get to see a couple of moose that came in to visit the resort late at night:)

We live up in northern MN near duluth.

I agree with BQ about the old bathing suit for Chena...the water has a really high mineral content. I can see how a nice layer of snow would spruce up the place as well (it really has the look of someplace that has seen better days, and that was in '04). The surrounding area was really beautiful for hiking, but there have been some major forest fires since then, so not sure of the immediate vicinity now, but should still find some nice hiking along the way (we especially enjoyed the Angel Rocks trail).

We actually stayed at the chena resort overnight...the room was VERY dated and rustic, but we did get to see a couple of moose that came in to visit the resort late at night:)

Ahh yes, I know the Duluth area. We used to travel from Chicago to near International Falls (Ash River Wilderness) every smmer in the late 50's and through the 60's. On Hiway 53 to be exact In fact we crossed the old wooden bridge from Superior many times. I remember, as a kid, getting excited about seeing the big ore boats. Your exploits in Fairbanks sound wonderful and we hope to do some of them ourseleves. I need to see how pooped folks are on the last day of a long trip and especially with a 20 month old! Sure would love to see Moose again. Used to see them up in what is now Voyagers National Park. Heck, we're easy, any wildlife will do. Thanks again for your comments and thoughts

Cheers, Kenn

Kenn,

We did a cruisetour last year starting in Fairbanks and also came in a day earlier. We rented a van (8 people) drove to North Pole Alaska, I was a little disapointed but the grandchildren love the pictures of reindeer and the wall of letters to Santa. Then we went to the musuem at Fairbanks, this was excellent, well worth it, we then continued on to Chena Hot Springs great drive did see several moose. 4 people went in the springs themselves while others just hiked around the area and checked out the garden. We all went to the Ice Musuem (a little expensive) but none of us had ever been to this type of structure before took lots of pictures. We then headed to the Salmon Bake at Pioneer park for supper and walked around a bit. It was a long day but everyone was so glad that we got to see a little of the Fairbanks area. Next trip I think we will plan on artic circle, there just was not enough time.

What ever you decide, the scenery and just talking to the locals and finding out about theirs lives was great. Everyone was so helpful and kind. You will have a great time.

Kind regards

Pat

Pat, thansk so much for your ideas and thoufghts. if we get half of what you accomplished done I will be happy!! Managing a group of that size is tiring in and of itself. I have plenty of old bathing suits around to take with.

Enjoy and again, thanks

Kenn

Archived