Shopping in Mazatlan

G'day

Can anyone tell me if we can walk to the shops from the cruise terminal at Mazatlan, or do we have to get at taxi. We are not planning on any shore tours here just wants to walk around and check out the local goods, tourist stuff. (if our ship stops there that is.. late June)

Thanks for your time:)

G'day

Can anyone tell me if we can walk to the shops from the cruise terminal at Mazatlan, or do we have to get at taxi. We are not planning on any shore tours here just wants to walk around and check out the local goods, tourist stuff. (if our ship stops there that is.. late June)

Thanks for your time:)

They have some shops at the port but to get to the main town you would need to take a taxi.

I would recommend Golden Zone too. We decided on the shorter taxi into downtown and it was icky. We found a department store and then my dh needed to buy some tshirts so we went into the main market place. We couldn't leave fast enough. Headed back to the terminal shops to finish our shopping.

There are some shops and bars when leaving/entering the port area (after the trolley ride), so technically, you don't need a taxi, however, as others mentioned, better shopping can be found in town, hence a taxi would be required.

You're from Australia. :D We should probably explain too,, that the Golden Zone in Mazatlan is just an area with nicer shops... and (I think) a little better quality merchandise. It depends on what you are shopping for, I guess. Enjoy your cruise, I hope you get to visit Mexico. :D You might want to check out Senior Frogs, after your shopping, too. And then take one of the little speed racer cabs back to the ship. We like Mazatlan.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Just wondering too if you have to barter the prices for goods over there, and do you have to tip the taxi drivers too.

Coming from Aus we dont tip over here and dont barter, we just pay the price they give you.

I am a bit worried about this..:confused:

Always confirm your cab price before you enter the cab. If you don't like the price, walk away and find another driver. It is customary to tip them a couple of dollars.

And bartering is expected in Mexico. Offer a lower price, then walk away...it is easier when you get used to it. Figure out what you think the value of the item should be. You are likely to come across the same sort of items in multiple locations. And most of all, have fun. In most bartering situations...everyone ends up happy. :)

Are there any restaurants/bars in the main terminal?

###

I don't know...they didn't even have a terminal last time we were there. Just a gate. I'm sure they probably do now, but the port was sort of industrial. :)

Just got back in March from another Mex Riv trip. (Soooooo thankful we did the trip in March and not now!!!) Anyway, there is a bar just outside the terminal in Mazatlan, and in Cabo and in PV:D.

As for shopping, what I noticed this trip is that prices were very reasonable and you did not have to barter much, or prices were sky high and no one was budging on the price. For "trinket" souveniers, I'd reccommend holding out for PV. There are a couple of stores in town on the malecon that have super deals. I picked up wooden bracelets, key chains, magnets, etc for USD$1 each. No bartering! The woven blankets were 3 for US$12.00! I don't remember the names of the shops but one of them is where Paseo dias Ordaz (the street right on the ocean) merges into Morelos. The store is on Morelos. THe stuff is cheesy, cheap and touristy, but when you need to bring a boatload of souveniers home for your DD's friends, the price can't be beat! Tequila was also reasonably priced.

As for taxis, as the prior poster said confirm the price! There were six of us downtown and we needed to get back to the ship. When you leave the ship there are large vans that charge you per person. On the way back you can't get a large van, only the tiny taxis that at most can take 4 plus the driver. So, we needed two cabs. The first one quoted us a price to take three of us back. So off they went. The next cab said a price about $2 less. I confirmed the price and we got in. Well, once we hit the terminal and I paid the driver the price he quoted and he said no, the price was per person. I said no, that's not what we discussed, and didn't pay him any more. So make sure you get the total price first! And, make sure you carry small bills as it is amazing that there is no cab driver in Mexico that can break a $20!

Archived