Safe to not pick up checked bags immediately in SeaTac?

ginjer2911

Dh and I are leaving on the 19th for our Alaska cruise. :) After being in the air for about 6 hours I know we are going to be hungry when we get to Seattle and have to wait about 2 hours for our Coach to Vancouver.

I was wondering if it is safe to not get your checked bags right after departing the plane or if it would be okay to get something to eat before. Once we get our bag we will not be able to go back through security to where all of the resteraunts are.

You could stop and grab something to go to eat later but you should not stop, eat, and then head to baggage claim. If you aren't there when the bags appear that increases the likelihood of someone walking off with your bags.

Sorry, no, this is definately NOT something I ever recommend. I suggest you just pick up a "take out" meal on your way to baggage claim.

Bags are stolen all the time. If you continue with not picking it up, be aware of this potential.

Baggage agents often clear the carousels for the next flight. What happens to the bags depends on how busy they are. Sometimes bags are just added to a big pile or row of other left bags and you have to find and pull them out yourself. Other times it will be taken to a back room. In that case you have to go to the baggage service office. If there are 10 people ahead of you taking care of lost luggage or damage claims, you will have to wait...and the agent won't be too thrilled or motivated to run around finding your luggage when they find out you created the problem.

That's on top of theft or mistakes...I once saw a guy walking away with my suitcase on his cart. He had grabbed it by mistake and was totally embarassed and apologetic. Your luggage can get into a lot of mischief when you aren't around to supervise! :)

Sounds like it will be a divide and conquer deal then. One of us will get and stay with the luggage and the other will get us something to eat!!!

Thanks for all of the replies.

You can consider stepping up to the fast food line, as you pass one, and likely still make it timely to baggage claim.

I used to live in WA and traveled thru the airport all the time. Would NOT recommend leaving your bags and claiming them later. What happens if your bags didn't make it (has happened to us a couple of times in the past) then you will be that much more behind schedule looking for bags and filling out claim forms. Like everyone said, best to get them ASAP.

Archived