Need help with Alaska 2010

MCManders99

I am looking at booking Alaska 2010 for our 5 year anniversary. It will be DH, myself and our DD (who will be 2 1/2 yrs old at the time). Dh and I did a NB Princess to Alaska for our honeymoon, which we loved. Price is very important to us, so I've been looking at all Lines. We are looking for RT Seattle, and we know most of the ports are the same. I noticed some go to Tracy Arm and others to Glacier Bay or Sawyer Glacier or Hubbard Glacier. We saw Glacier Bay and would love to go again but price is major to us right now.

Carnival has some great rates! We were thinking of giving them a try. How is Carnival in Alaska? After doing Princess, would we be disappointed? Sightseeing is most important to us while on the cruise and just enjoying that we can cruise to Alaska again for our 5 year. Any help would be appreciated.

I will speculate prices are going to be way up there next season, due to fewer ships. Looks like it could be 10,000 passengers less/week (4-5 cruise ships?? being pulled elsewhere).

So, if the price IS the priority, you might want to also consider going this year, where some sailings are extremely discounted.

For clairfication- The Sawyer Glaciers are at the end of Tracy Arm, so a single location. Glacier Viewing here, however, is slim. Overall less than 25% of the trips in get within view of the glaciers. SO if glacier viewing is a priority, you would have to consider some type of glacier tour to purchase.

Carnival does a great job in Alaska, BUT, their itinerary next year, is new, and in my opinion, not as good.

You also may not realize it, but round trip Seattle sailings are the least scenic of Alaska cruises, can have 2 "sea days" out of sight of land due to the outside Vancouver Island routing. If scenery is important, look at round trip Vancouver. It is simple to get between Seattle/Vancouver to take advantage of sometimes significantly cheaper airfare, but does usually require an overnight hotel, and red eye flight home.

Superior round trip Seattle itineraries are with HAL, in my opinion. But compare, time in ports, ports, glacier, price. Then fit in what fits your preferences best.

Unfortunately can't go this year.... just started a new job and I will just get enough time off for my Dec cruise (which is my cousins wedding cruise).

DH wants to go for our 5 year anniv and that is next year. After that we are looking at a second child, so next year it is. I see Carnivals prices for a balcony for RT Seattle for around $1000 pp and everyone else is around $1500-1700 for August. DH wants to see the salmon run so date are important as well. We can't go early season to see the salmon run.

Archived