I'm so glad I finally read rhis board!

LindaKE

I've always felt like people who see me getting help think I'm just trying to get away with something. I look healthy, but have no stamina and can't walk far without a rest. I have balance problems that cause me to fall easily and pain if I stand very long, but people don't see that either. I never checked out this particular board since I can walk some on my own, so I don't need an HC cabin or special equipment or diet. I came over here because someone had posted a question on another board and I got lots of support to a post I made in response. The posts on this board made me realize that I'm not alone and others understand. Now I'm kicking myself for being too proud to admit that this is info I need too. Thanks for making me see that I'm not alone and that there are a lot of people who understand and can give good advice that will be a big help.

I've always felt like people who see me getting help think I'm just trying to get away with something. I look healthy, but have no stamina and can't walk far without a rest. I have balance problems that cause me to fall easily and pain if I stand very long, but people don't see that either. I never checked out this particular board since I can walk some on my own, so I don't need an HC cabin or special equipment or diet. I came over here because someone had posted a question on another board and I got lots of support to a post I made in response. The posts on this board made me realize that I'm not alone and others understand. Now I'm kicking myself for being too proud to admit that this is info I need too. Thanks for making me see that I'm not alone and that there are a lot of people who understand and can give good advice that will be a big help.

I'm one of the lucky ones with absolutely no health issues whatsoever, but even I find this board helpful in at least trying to understand some of the issues that HC people deal with when it comes to cruising (and in their day to day lives as well). While I have some family members who have limited mobility and various other health concerns, they don't cruise, so I never fully appreciated the challenges HC folks deal with until I started reading this particular board... it makes me a better cruiser and better equiped to offer assistance and consideration to those around me. And, for folks like you whose challenges may not be obvious or "visible", having read this board makes me less likely to pass judgement, and more likely to just be more courteous to everyone I encounter, regardless of ability or disability.:)

Something to remember too is that it really doesn't matter what other people think. My philosophy is to use whatever it takes to do the things you want to do. If it is a cane, or a walker or a WC or a scooter, etc. whatever it takes. I don't care how it looks to others if it allows me to carry on with life.

I have also learned to be very proactive in getting what I need. and in sticking up for the rights of the disabled person. I flew last week, by myself. I got to the gate and told the agent I wanted to cabin check my wheel chair he said the practice was to stow it under the plane, I told him, NO the practice is to do what the passenger wants done according to the Dept of transportation rules, IF I am the first WC passenger to request that my WC be accomodated in the cabin, then they have to accomodate it unless the plane is one that does not have a closet or a row designed for WC storage. At that point he said he would have to check with his supervisor, I told you do that.

He came back and said no problem, and they stored it in the on board closet.

coming back on another carrier, they fastened it in the last row for me. Often airlines and cruiselines and bus services and hotels will try to bluff you out of the services they are required to provide, unless you stand your ground. Again, whatever it takes to do what you need to do.

Yes, on my International flight a few years ago I was afraid I would arrive at my destination without my rollator or have it damaged, so I insisted that it be taken on the plane with me. It did fit in the overhead bin, and on other planes if they were too crowded they put it in the closet.

Often airlines and cruiselines and bus services and hotels will try to bluff you out of the services they are required to provide, unless you stand your ground.

I completely agree with your sentiment that we have to stand up for what we need, I really think a lot of the time it's simple lack of awareness that leads to problems like the one you described.

If the attendant had never been asked to stow a WC on board before, perhaps s/he was unaware of the rule. Should s/he have been trained about this? Of course. But people are human, after all.

In the Hermitage last summer, we were faced with a half-flight of stairs at the entry, and told that my DH would have to walk up them or be carried by the other two men in our party. Yikes. Luckily, I knew from CC that there was a wheelchair lift at one of the entries, so I insisted our guide from Denrus find out about it. In a few minutes, he was back and led us to the entrance with the lift. Since Denrus knew we had a wheelchair user in our group, and the tour had been designed around sites he could access, they should have made sure their guide knew of the lift. But, c'est la vie, it all worked out.

Having spent much of my career working for the phone company, I have adopted the motto: "Never blame evil intentions when the more likely cause is simple incompetence.";)

Here's another example of why this board is so helpful. I had assumed that I had so much trouble getting help sometimes because no one could glance at me and tell that I needed it. Now I see that the reason is probably that people don't know how to help or what help is available or required legally. And now I know to be more insistent.

Has anyone tried posting comments or suggestions on the cruise line's board.? On the NCL board there is a thread going about how NCL pays attention to CC posts, but I'm wondering if they look at only their own board site.

Oh yes we have tried posting things on the boards related to the particular cruise lines we have also, many of us written directly too the cruiselines on various matters on this subject. In fact I just sent a letter off this morning to the CEO of NCL regarding elevator access on the Star and other NCL ships.

Mostly, they are politely ignored, or you are told yes we are looking into that.

Linda;

You are so right. My DH has circulation problems also. To the extent that he had a femural to femural bypass and then another stent put in. He looks fine and healthy but is not. Some people are just plain rude and think it is their business to police what other people do. We try and take the high road but sometimes it is not possible. Waiting in line to board or disembark is very painful for him, but he refuses to use a wheel chair. Sometimes the person in charge of the line will let him sit down close by the front of the line, when I reach the front then he joins me to check in.

Keep your chin up and good luck. Glad you found this portion of CC. It is tremendously helpful. The people are great and geniunly (sp) care.

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

I am fortunate to be one without any physical disabilities, but I do check this board now and then to see if anyone has questions about cruising with Peritoneal Dialysis, which my wife does.

For those of you whose disabilities are not readily apparent, I truly believe that you should make those around you aware of any way in which we may be helpful. Certainly there are unfeeling jerks around, but my personal experience is that most folks are better than we give them credit for.

Archived