Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

katienycgrl - Which place did you guys end up reserving? Also, when you get back, please post a review of it here on this thread. I'm always curious. Since I live around here, I never stay in any of the hotels myself. All I have to go on is what business associates have told me, or on my experience with other properties of the same chains. I know what the places look like, I know the areas, and have attended meetings or had lunch at some of them too.

As for the manicure, you've got me on that one. Sorry. Seeing as I always fight my habit of biting my nails, that's a service I never need.:D I'd suggest speaking with the concierge or the front desk staff and get some direction.

Gym Girl - I agree completely with mdc99. I think those 3 are the best Tampa has to offer, all with great locations. The Grand Hyatt on the edge of the bay is a great place. There's some heavy road construction around there on the E side, but I don't think it would have any effect on you in the hotel, due to the size of the place and the layout. If you go to the Grand Hyatt, try to beg for a room with a view to the west (the water). If you haven't already, check out the Port of Tampa pics on my Yahoo page. The Marriott Waterside is covered there.

Ken

The Chase is $110 a night which seems great including the shuttle. My cruise is 2/26/06-3/02/06 and I'm planning a Sunday-Wed post stay.

I'm a baseball fan and never been to spring training. How far is rocky point from Clearwater(Phillies) or the stadiums in Tampa(yankees) and Dundeen(blue jays)?

Would you recommend something in Clearwater comparable to the chase?

Thanks

Bob

Hi Ken,

First I want to say: Thanks for all of your help concerning hotels in Tampa.

Now, I have one more question. We will be in Tampa 1 day pre-cruise and 1 day post cruise. What would you suggest we do to fill the time? We have a 10 year old son, do you think the aquarium is a good choice? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

kim

BF_Philly - I think you could easily stay in the Chase at Rocky Point and go to all of the spring training sights you mentioned. I'm not very knowledgeable on hotel offerings in Clearwater, but I have a working knowledge of the area. Rocky Point is within 10-15 miles of the Clearwater and Dundee locations. Also, it's quite easy to get to the Yankee's spring training area. From Rocky Point, you just go back E on Courtney Campbell Cswy (SR60) towards the airport and take the Spruce St exit. Follow the main highway to the E, past Dale Mabry Hwy, to Himes Ave and you are there. They are just S of Raymond James (Tampa) Stadium. Their stadium for exhibition games is on the W side of the Raymond James Stadium. Dundee is just a few miles (3 + or -) N of Clearwater.

kimberlys - Kim, I'm not sure where you will be staying or if you will have a car, but here goes - Yes, the Florida Aquarium is nice and a 10 yr old should love it (and should learn some things there as well). Right behind the aquarium is a retired US Navy vessel ( http://www.americanvictory.com/ ) that offers tours. Next door to the Aquarium is the Channelside complex ( http://www.channelside.com/ ). They have an IMAX theater there with interesting films. No shortage of places to eat around there. The street car system runs right by these locations. You can take the street car to the W end by the convention center and go out on the River Walk. The street car system ( http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/ )runs up to Ybor City (the Latin District). Off of 8th Ave near 15th St there's a place called Centro Ybor and there are shops and movie theaters there. You could spend a day with all of the above, easily. On the other day, if you have transportation, you could go to Busch Gardens up in N. Tampa. There's a zoo in Tampa known as Lowry Park, on Sligh Ave W of Florida Ave. Check out this link: http://www.lowryparkzoo.com/ I went there as a child, and it has expanded and improved over the years. It's not as big as those in St Louis, San Diego and the Bronx, but it's nice (and it's all we have, other than Busch Garden).

Other than the above, you could go over to Clearwater Beach (as long as you aren't here during spring break - it gets crowded and crazy over there at that time). Hope this helps you out.

Ken

We stayed at the Tampa Marriott Westshore. I paid I believe $70 for the room (non-smoking, king) on Priceline. It had free 24 hour shuttle from the airport, will shuttle you anywhere I believe within 5 miles, but does not offer a shuttle to the pier. The taxi to the pier cost us about $15. The area wasn't bad, there were shops and the like within walking distance, and several restaurants including the chains (ie., McD's). The hotel was very nice. The room was clean and comfortable. All of the staff was friendly and very helpful. The have a restaurant on-site that offered a fairly decent breakfast buffet for around $13/pp.

Also, check-in was supposed to be 3:00 p.m. with check out at 1:00 p.m. We arrived very earlier (like 11:30 a.m.) because we had an early flight, and we had no problem checking in early. The alos offer free in-room coffee machine, ironing board and iron, and hair dryer.

Just as a side note - I was told that the cab fare from the pier to the airport after the cruise would be $15. The cabbie did not set the meter as he should have, and when we arrived at the airport told us the fair was a flat $20. He was quite upset when we didn't give him a tip, but we figured where he didn't set the meter, the whole $20 probably went in his pocket.

Thanks Ken for all the great advice.

Melissa:)

kimberlys - Additional information on things to do in Tampa - Up on the North end of Tampa on Fowler Ave E of 30th St (across from the University of South Florida) there is the Museum of Science and Industry (called MOSI) which has interesting exhibits. They constantly have things of an educational nature and kids are always going there on field trips. I've been there too. Here's the web site: http://www.mosi.org/ I was in the area today and happened to remember this place.

Ken

WOW Ken! Thanks for all the great info. and your willingness to research and share. Our party of 9 decided to book the SpringHill Suites for Sat. night prior to June 19 sailing on Miracle. We'll be arriving in Tampa by 4:00 pm --although our California body clocks will be at only 1:00. We got 3 rooms for 3 at $76 per room which includes breakfast and airport transfer. I'm figuring I'll rent at least one full size vehicle (Hotwire's got one for only $33 tax included) and that way we'll have wheels for Saturday aft. and evening. Do you know where we might find a Costco or Sam's Club? Also, I'm thinking I might just shuttle my people and luggage over to the pier in the morning...take a couple trips...return the car to the airport and then taxi back to the ship. ($15-$20 bucks, right?) Anyway, that way we're still money ahead from the $90 bucks the shuttle service wanted to get us from the hotel to the pier. Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you, or am I going to drive myself crazy in the process. :o Any Sunday morning traffic issues I should be aware of? Note that I really do want to have the wheels Sat. since I wouldn't mind doing a little sightseeing. From what I've read here though, I might just want to drop my people at Channelside late Sat. afternoon, park, and from there we could take the trolly over to Ybor City, right?

Rick&AJ - It might be a little hectic to go through the process of taking folks to the port 2x, then going back to drop the car and take a taxi. However, on the up side, you will end up saving about $70. I'm sure you can find better and more fun ways of spending $70 (cruise ships will surely help you out with that:) ). This will be on Sunday morning, and it's very easy to get around in Tampa on Sunday. Downtown will be a ghost town (except the terminal area). The interstate won't be a problem either, unless someone has an accident, then it could be nasty. However, on Sunday, it would be quite easy to take surface streets on down to the port. It's about 7 miles down to the terminals. The people in your party will have to be waiting around for you quite a while during the time you are making your 3rd trip to the port. I would anticipate that going back and forth to the port will be easy and quick (don't get lost), like 15-20 minutes each way (tops). It just depends on how much trouble you want to go through.

If you need to look up a map from Springhill Suites to Channelside, go to http://www.mapquest.com and use Cypress St at Westshore Blvd and Kennedy Blvd at Channelside Drive as your target. The Channelside (and Terminal 2 - Carnival) complex is on Channelside Dr S of Kennedy Blvd where it makes it's turn back to the W.

Going down to Channelside, parking there, and using the street car back and forth to Ybor sounds like a good plan. It will give y'all some fun while riding the street cars too. You won't have to look for parking in Ybor either. There is a fee to park at the garage at Channelside (they charge to park in Ybor too).

The nearest Costco is over in Clearwater at State Road 60 and US Hwy 19 (2655 Gulf to Bay). It would be about 10-12 miles away. People at the hotel could point you in the best direction to get on SR60 (it's close) and head to Clearwater.

The Sam's Club at 5153 S Dale Mabry Hwy (at Gandy Blvd) will be closer for you, but it is still a distance down there. To get there, you just go E. on Cypress St (the st. in front of your hotel) all the way to Dale Mabry Hwy, then head South (right turn). Just keep going south. It's just over 5 miles down there from your hotel.

Y'all have fun.

Ken

Thanks for the quick response and the terrific information. I might have to re-think this. But I've still got plenty of time to decide. I'm thinking we'll definitely check out Channelside and Ybor City Saturday night. Sounds like a fun way to start our week. By the way, I'm thrilled we decided to leave from Tampa instead of Miami. Didn't know much about Tampa prior to booking this cruise, but it sounds like a great place to visit and I'm kind of sorry we're not staying longer. I'll probably be posting more questions as the time gets nearer. In the meantime, know that there are many benefiting from all of your helpful hints and appreciating your input.

Rick&AJ - I think Tampa gets a bum rap sometimes. The Ybor and Channelside areas have improved greatly over the years. It hasn't been many years ago that the Channelside area was just a shipping area, kind of dirty, and an area tourists didn't need to see. Tampa's not a glitzy place, but it's better than many people realize. It just depends on what someone is looking for. If they want the big, wide, beaches of the E coast, and the glamour and glitz of Miami Beach, this isn't the place. In addition, just across the bay in the St Petersburg and Clearwater areas are nice beaches, fishing charters, etc. It's safer and cleaner up here than in Miami too, and the traffic (while not great) is certainly better. The cruise sailings and itineraries out of Tampa aren't as diverse as they are in Miami, and I'd like to see them get much better.

Ken

Boards - If y'all don't have a car, taxi is probably the best bet. Tampa isn't big on mass transit. You could probably eventually get there on the city bus (HartLine), but it would take quite a while, and no telling what kind of area you would have to go through to get there. If you just want to go down there to have fun and such, then return to the hotel, taxi will be best. That will cost you about $20 each way. On the day of your cruise, you could consider something like Tampa Bay Shuttle - http://www.tampabayshuttle.com/ A compact rental car for going here and there around Tampa for a couple of days might be as economical as a taxi (could be cheaper), depending on how much running around you want to do.

Ken

Gramsof7 - If you are staying at the LaQuinta on W. Spruce St., it's as close as you can get to the airport (airport property starts across the street). The terminal is a mile (if that) to the NW of the hotel. This LaQuinta Inn is one of the older type with outside entry rooms. It doesn't look like a bad place. I've never been in there. Over the past year or so I've seen where other cruisers have stayed there. I haven't heard or seen anything negative. Check out their web site for info on their shuttle: http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ597&propId=597&iata=99000813

I don't know what a cab ride would cost, but it would be under $10. The cabbies kind of get torqued when they get a fare that goes to a location that close to the airport, but that's tuff stuff for them (it comes with the territory, so to speak). They sit in a long line with other cabs for their turn at the terminal, so they always hope for a good fare when they finally get there. I can see their point, but not everyone wants to be taken to the other side of Tampa.

Ken

Cracker Ken how would we get down to Channelside from the Springhill Suites. We are staying there for two days. We are not planning on renting a car.

Boards, how does one find Springhill Suites on the internet, and what is the address? We need one night, are currently booked with LaQuinta, but this sounds much nicer.

Gramsof7- You are better off at Springhill Suites (by Marriott). That's a much nicer place. It might cost a little more, but you always get what you pay for. I'm not familiar with a LaQuinta down closer to the cruise terminals.

Ken

Cracker Ken, there is no room at the inn. I got the recommendation for the LaQuinta Inn on one of these boards. I checked their site just for kicks, and there is nothing available. In fact, I can't find anything that I think it remotely close to the pier - or airport for less than about $200. I'll keep looking, but will hang on to the lq reservation. Knowing nothing about Tampa, it's hard to know where to look.

It is the one on Spruce St. 4730 Spruce.

I've never shopped through Priceline, but I wonder if they would have a block of rooms somewhere else. Might give it a try.

Thanks