Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Lisa - You could try the LaQuinta Inn that's right there by the airport.

http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ597&propId=597

This is an older LaQuinta, with outside entry. It's not a bad area, and is next to the Westshore business district I've mentioned before. I don't know if they have a van to take you to the docks, so you might have to use a taxi or something like Tampa Bay Shuttle. If you are getting on the ship on Saturday or Sunday, traffic won't be much of a problem and you should be able to get from the airport/Westshore area to the port in about 15 mnts.

There's a Days Inn on Rocky Point just W of the airport on SR60 (Courtney Campbell Causeway), and it looks pretty good, at least from the outside.

http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=06976&brandInfo=DI

There's an Extended Stay America (one of those mini-suite hotels) in the Westshore area too:

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/minisite/default.asp?hotelID=902

We have discussed several others in the thread above.

If you use one of the hotel search engines on the Internet, use the intersection of Westshore Blvd. and W. Spruce St. as a target.

Ken

That could be the Holiday Inn Express on Dale Mabry Highway. It's quite near the Tampa stadium. You will probably have to call them and check on the shuttle to the docks. The area of this place isn't too bad, and there's a large steakhouse right next door called Sam Seltzer's. The area has lots of auto sales lots and the back of a huge city park is across the highway.

Ken

Does anyone know what motel is closest to the Tampa port, Terminal 2? Is it a park and cruise motel?

When we sailed out of Canaveral last June,:p there were several motels that offered park and cruise with free shuttle to port. Are there any of these other than Best Western in Tampa? The ones I've seen seem to charge for transportation to the port and in general I don't like Best Western.:(

MSSQRL - Please see post #74 above for info. There are no mid-range decent motels close to the terminals in Tampa. There are some nice hotels downtown that aren't too far away, but they are relatively expensive unless you luck out with a Priceline deal. I've heard that the Marriott Waterside Hotel may have a park and cruise deal, so it might be worth checking with them (they are kind of pricey though). Those two hotels I mentioned in Ybor City are the closest of that type, but not sure about the park and ride situation. The LaQuinta Inn on W. Spruce St (about 8 -9 miles from the terminal) reportedly has park and cruise deals as well. Maybe someone else with info will see this and report on a location.

It would be great if someone would build a couple of mid-range hotels in the area of the Tampa terminals. Property in that area is at a premium and is high priced these days, with all sorts of developement planned and underway. All I've heard of, so far, is upscale housing, a supermarket, and condo's.

Ken

Yes, I've seen this hotel before. I looked it up to make sure we were talking about the same one, and it is. These are those mini-suite extended stay type places that are getting popular. This is up in the area to the NW of the airport property, and a considerable driving distance further from the port (few miles). It's in a totally different area than the places down off of Westshore near I-275. It's on the edge of an office park area, and not too far from residential areas. It's not too bad up there. The place looks OK from the road, and I don't think it's very old. I stayed at one of these hotels while in S FL on business. It isn't fancy, but it's very adequate. This is on a busy road named Hillsborough Avenue, next to the Veteran's Expressway (toll rd). Within 1-3 miles to the W of the hotel you will find all sorts of places to eat. Some are chain outfits, some locals, and most are inexpensive or moderately priced. There are pizza joints, Golden Corral, you name it And, to the E. of there a mile or so, you will find others. Me and the guys from work go out there for lunch on Friday sometimes.

That Priceline deal is indeed a bummer. I seem to recall someone getting into the Wyndham on Westshore for less than you are paying for the Homestead Suites. We probably miss some nice opportunities sometimes, but we just don't like the way that Priceline thing works.

Ken

Thanks For The Info. Your Information Supports The Research I've Done.

It Seems That You Are Certainly The Tampa Authority. I Agree With One Of The Other Posts, You Should Give Consideration To Writing A Tampa Travel Guide. ;)

Ken,

We'll be staying at the Springhill Suites for our Pre cruise night. Is there some place on the way to the pier that you could suggest to stop at (by taxi of course) for bottled water and sodas?

when is your cruise? we are staying there also, but in Nov. will be on the Veendam.

My nephew and new wife will be flying into Tampa for a Carnival Cruise. I need to find him a safe, clean room with hopefully a shuttle from the airport and a shuttle or cab to the port. They can't afford a lot. $50 or 60 would probably be about their budget. Can anyone help me with this. I saw a lot of hotels listed but they looked a little pricier. They are getting in late so they won't get to do any sightseeing after they get in...just a nice safe place.

Thank you so much.:)

I haven't read this entire post so forgive me if I'm repeating info. The Westsore area are basically airport hotels. No frills for the most part, very close to the airport(less than a mile) and relatively inexpensive. There is not much to see and do in this area, so if you're just looking for a place to lay your head without spending a fortune, this is the place you want to look at. I would imagine many of the larger, chain hotels would have free shuttles from the airport. Cabs to the port would be $20 or less from the Westshore area. If you have time/desire/money to explore the Tampa area, I would suggest getting a downtown hotel. I like the Marriott chain and they have at least three in the downtown area that I know of (Courtyard, Residence Inn, and Marriott Waterside) All are moderately priced $80-$180 if booked direct, maybe less thru Priceline. I would have to agree with those who advised against staying in the Busch Gardens/USF area. Many of these hotels are in very bad shape and in very bad neighborhoods. It's too bad because Busch Gardens is an awesome place to visit. If you have time and money, I would highly recommend a stop there, just wouldn't get a hotel near there.

Ken can you give me your opinion on the days inn on melbourne blvd off of exit 3 of I-4. This used to be a LaQuinta I believe before they switched names. Can you tell me if the area is safe and have you ever seen this hotel? It looks fairly decent from the photos but they can be decieving. Thanks

Kevin Pollock

MSSQRL - Thank you very much. Actually, I've already got a decent start on my travel guide, right here in this thread.:) We have discussed almost any place worth staying, some places not to stay, places to eat, you name it, somewhere along the way here. I've also got a lot of pictures of places of interest on my Yahoo photo album page (link below). I was thinking of setting up a simple web page using the space my ISP gives me, but I just haven't had the time to learn how to set it up.

cprincess - There's a Wal-Mart at Dale Mabry Hwy and I-275. It's right on the way to the port from the area you are staying.

BF_Philly - The Chase Suites out on Rocky Point is in a decent and clean area, and should be quiet too. During the day, there's a place that rents Jet Ski's for use in the water there by the Chase. We discussed that earlier on the thread. There's not much out there but office buildings, hotels, and restaurants. There is a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express and the Chase Suites out there on Rocky Point. There may be some additional info on shuttle and such that was posted by someone earlier, I haven't looked yet. The Chase Suites hotel is a few miles W. of the airport, and a little further from the docks. Right next door is the Bahama Breeze restaurant (nice place, good food, right on the water). Up on the main road, SR60/Courtney Campbell Causeway just E. of Rocky Point is Landry's Seafood (I like to eat there). Castaway's Seafood Restaurant is just W. of Rockey Point. There's another place called the Green Iguana, kind of a bar/grill/restaurant type place (great, large, burgers) next to the Day's Inn up by the main road too.

conniesuesue - I don't know if you are going to find a clean and safe hotel with the shuttle service for that price. Check out the post I made on 2/14 at about 3:30PM. Those are about as inexpensive as I'm familiar with in the area. I don't know about there shuttle service. There's also a Best Western on Westshore Blvd that might not be too high priced. $50 is getting rather cheap for rooms I'd consider safe and clean. One suggestion, would be to use Priceline.com and put out a bid for $50 or $60, using Westshore Blvd. and W. Cypress Street as a target location. You never know, you might find something out there that's nice, it happens. Probably a 3 star would be as high as I'd bid at $50.

Westshore area - We have discussed this area a lot. There's a variety of hotels in the area. I agree reference the prices that kujobie mentioned, and that the areas hotels tend to service the airport. The hotels in the area also service a large business clientel as well, and some organizations hold trade conferences in them. There are very nice hotels in the area from all of the nicer chains - Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Wyndham, Quorum Hotel and Sheraton. The Hampton Inn, AmeriSuites, Springhills Suites, Residence Inn, Extended Stay America, and others provide moderate alternatives. There's a LaQuinta and a Best Western in the area too. Prices are relative though. For my pocketbook, a $180 a night hotel is very expensive. I usually look for Hampton Inn's and Holiday Inn Express, which fits my budget (their prices vary according to the location). Correct, there's not a lot to see and do in the area, but that's kind of subjective. It depends on whether or not you have a rental car available, the time you have available, and what you are looking for. There are two very nice malls on Westshore Blvd, close to each other. Westshore Plaza Mall has theaters. There's no shortage of decent places to eat in the area. Most people who post and ask questions here on this thread are just looking for somewhere to stay the night before and/or after their cruise, so we have that covered extensively.

Downtown Tampa - For folks who can afford it, I always recommend staying downtown pre-cruise. The Marriott Waterside Hotel is a great place, close to the cruise terminals, and is a beautiful hotel, inside and out. It's in a nice area, with great views as well. It's right by the street car line, which provides inexpensive transportation to the Channelside District and on up to the Ybor City Latin District where there's plenty to see, do, eat, and drink. The Courtyard and Residence Inn are OK too, but they aren't real close to anything but business/office areas, unless you have a car. There is a nice hotel along the Hillsborough River just S. of Kennedy Blvd called the Tampa Riverwalk Hotel. The Marriott Waterside area, Channelside, cruise terminals,the street cars, Wyndham Harbour Island Hotel, and the Tampa Convention Center area covered extensively in my Tampa photos on the Yahoo photo page.

When I get a chance, I'm going to take some more photos of the hotels and neighboring areas in Ybor City, those on Rocky Point, and others on Westshore Blvd. I don't know about others, but I like to visualize where I'm going to be.

Suggestion - If you happen to use http://www.mapquest.com when checking distances in Tampa, and you want to use the cruise terminals or the Tampa Intl Airport as a target for you search, here's some useful info: For the Tampa International Airport - Use Westshore Blvd and W. Spruce St (intersection next to the airport). For the Cruise Terminal area (Terminal's 2, 3, and 6) - Use E. Kennedy Blvd and Channelside Drive. By the way, MapQuest says it's 6.49 miles between those two points, and 11 minutes travel time.

I am through these areas quite often, so I don't mind taking a quick detour to look at something when I'm through the area if I can help someone. My employer's regional office is on Rocky Point, and it used to be on Westshore Blvd, so I've spent a great deal of time in these areas. I also used to work out of offices in Ybor City and downtown Tampa. I have spent a lot of time in downtown Tampa going to office buildings and government buildings too, so I know my way around there very well. We have cruised out of Tampa too.

Last, but not least - I sure hope nobody thinks I'm trying to be a know-it-all here. That's not what I'm about. Quite simply, I enjoy helping people. It also helps that I know how to type very fast.:) I've seen cases where people who don't know an area very well will offer bad or misleading info. I'm a native of the general area, and I know the subject matter fairly well. I try to put my knowledge and background to use helping people when they have a question about my area. At times, I've even looked up info in the phone book, checked maps, performed a little Internet research, and even drove by locations before I answer someone, if I have any doubts. Also, I'm totally unbiased, I don't work in the Chamber of Commerce, travel, restaurant, or hospitality industry, so I'll tell it like it is, good or bad.

I subscribe to this thread and check it regularly, so it's easy for me to see if someone posts here. If you have a question, just ask. If I know the answer, I'll give it to you. If I don't know the answer, perhaps someone else will, or else I'll try to find the answer for you.

I hope some of my answers above are helpful.

Y'all take care.:)

Ken

Ken:

Thanks for all your info- it's very much appreciated!!

We are trying to decide from the 3 hotels for pre and post cruise:

Renaissance Hotel Tampa Int'l Plaza

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay

Which would you choose???

thanks! Betsy

Ken:

Thanks for all your info- it's very much appreciated!!

We are trying to decide from the 3 hotels for pre and post cruise:

Renaissance Hotel Tampa Int'l Plaza

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay

Which would you choose???

thanks! Betsy

I'm not Ken but know the area well. That being said I would do The Marriott Waterside pre-cruise and then the Grand Hyatt post cruise, unless you have a desire to be right at a mall either pre or post then I would do the Rennaissance.

Ken can you give me your opinion on the days inn on melbourne blvd off of exit 3 of I-4. This used to be a LaQuinta I believe before they switched names. Can you tell me if the area is safe and have you ever seen this hotel? It looks fairly decent from the photos but they can be decieving. Thanks

Kevin Pollock

Kevin - I don't like that area at all. That's not a good area, and I wouldn't stay there. If I booked it blind, and came into town not knowing, I'd cancel it on site. The hotel itself might not be in bad shape, but the surrounding area isn't appealing, to say the least. You are right, that used to be a LaQuinta, and it's been there for many years. It's just off of 50th St. just N. of I-4, on Melbourne. Among other things, there's lots of construction around there too. Even if I had a couple of guns with me, I wouldn't stay there because I'd be worried about my car all night. I'm sure you get the picture.

Ken

Ken I just will like to say thanks a millon times over. I have asked many questions to you about hotels and am finally getting ready to come down in a week here. If you ever need help on finding a NYC hotel I could be of service!

One more thing... We're staying a few miles from Ybor City in downtown Tampa. Do you know any places in the area that we could get a manicure at? It doesn't have to be a spa, it could be a smaller/local place. I don't think we'll have time before we leave to get one.

Thanks, MDC!

Great idea!

Betsy

Gym Girl;your welcome. I think that I've seen Ken agree that if money is not an object, that there is no question that the Marriott Waterside would be the #1 hotel pre-cruise. The reasons for that is that it is located where you could possibly wake up in the morning and see your ship or if you're an early riser and have the correct side of the hotel you could actually watch it come down the channel. In addition the fact that the streetcar is located right outside the hotel that can take you to Channelside or Ybor is an added plus. The 3 hotels you have listed are considered among the best Tampa has to offer. The Grand Hyatt offers a tranquill almost nature park like setting overlooking Tampa Bay. The hotel itself is very nice although my favorite are their casitas(little villa like hotel rooms) these are located at the back of their property right on the edge of Tampa Bay. Also located at the Hyatt are a couple of Tampa's best restaurants: Armani's at the top of the hotel, offers outstanding views and top-notch Italian dining or out by the casitas is Oystercatchers which offers good seafood and a view of the bay. I personally have tried all of the above with the exception of Oystercatchers. The Ren. is one of the hotels I have not stayed at in Tampa, but is located in a nice area close to the airport and at The Internantional Plaza (Tampa's Upscale mall). There are several restaurants in thier Bay Street area that are open after the mall is closed, including The Cheesecake Factory where unfortunately I'm a regular . Please provide specifics about your interests and details like whether your planning on renting a car for more help.