Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

WELUV2CRZ - Thanks for the heads-up on that Publix. I don't think I've been down that stretch of road since they built that place. This is good to know, since peope ask about that from time to time. It's at the base of Bayshore just off of Platt. Swiss - It will be across the Hillsborough River on Platt St, which isn't but a few blocks N. of the Wyndham Harbour Island. Just over the bridge you hang a left on Bayshore. You could walk it if it's good weather. If not, it would be a cheap taxi ride. Here's the address I dug up on the store:

Publix Supermarket

243 Bayshore Blvd. (Bayshore/Platt)

phone: (813) 251-1173

Publix is about the nicest grocery store chain we have in FL or the SE USA.

Also in the general area are:

Eckerd Drugs

220 E. Madison St.

phone: (813) 228-0084

Walgreens

315 W. Platt St.

phone: (813) 251-6068

Nanatravel - Good info. This is in a good area in the Westshore Business District I've mentioned before. There's also a Hampton Inn a block away with similar services. No shortage of hotels in that general area. Good restaurants close by too.

jessemon - Not a bad idea. I'll give that some thought and get back with you. I've got to get to bed. I have to get up extra early in the morning for a road trip.

Y'all have fun!

Ken

I just stayed at Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point Nice place $89 per night $10 per person shuttle to port. Rooms clean,staff very polite, free continental breakfast. Good Ribs at reteraunt next door Bahamma Breeze.

Cracker Ken, Your welcome on the Publix, that is exactly how you get there. You reallly should consider getting in the travel business. Your attention to detail is amazing. I was born and raised in Tampa and have lived in the county north of Tampa for approx. 20 years (Pasco County) and you know more about Tampa than I do. I know your hard work will help alot of people with making the right choices. Keep up the good work.

WELUV2CRZ - Thanks much. I enjoy it doing this a lot. I just like helping folks. I was born and raised in Plant City, and have been here in this area all of my life (52 hrs and counting). I have worked from offices in Tampa since 1971, with 20 yrs of that being in law enforcement. I guess over the years I've picked up a lot of info. I'm in Lakeland now, but I'm still through the area almost weekly. Things are changing a lot around here these days and it's hard to keep up. I didn't even know about the Publix store. Sometimes there are things people ask about that I can't recall because I've never paid much attention since it's one of those things I see all the time. From time to time I've even made detours off my beaten path just to refresh myself on things people ask about. By the way, I saw something on the news a while back that there was a large grocery store planned for the Channelside District, like between the Ice Palace and Channelside. It will be intended to service the new apartment areas and Harbour Island. Cruisers will really like that.

cruisinone - I certainly agree. Besides, the cinnamon buns they serve for breakfast at those Holiday Inn Express hotels are to die for. Overall, the Rocky Point area is a nice place to stay. It's relatively quiet out there, and clean, and close to good food.

Y'all enjoy the weekend! :)

Any information on the Renaissance Hotel (International Plaza), 4200 Jim Walter Blvd.? We have reservations there for $139/nt. I think we can get into the Grand Hyatt or Marriot Westshore for half that on Priceline though.

Any preference on any of the three? I need to return a rental car to Avis, so an airport shuttle would be nice (I'll do that solo). Then taxi/shuttle from hotel to the port?

Thanks in advance, Steve

DVC Calif - The Renaissance is the newest of the hotels in that area of town. It's connected to the International Mall, an upscale mall next to the Tampa Intl. Airport. There are several places to eat (including the Cheesecake Factory) in the restaurant area of the mall. There are three restaurants right across the street too - Leroy Selmon's BBQ, Roy's, and Flemings Prime Steakhouse. This is a super nice place and the newest around, but the other two hotels you mention aren't shabby either. The Grand Hyatt would be my pick of the other two. It's right on the water and they have some nice restaurants on-site.

All of these have shuttles to/from the airport. Avis rental car return at Tampa Intl. Airport is right in the terminal, on-site, so it would be easy to drop the car and go back out to the curb to catch the next shuttle to the hotel. I don't know if those three hotels have shuttles to the port. Taxi from that area to the port is going to be about $20 (maybe slightly more). Tampa Bay Shuttle is another alternative. http://www.tampabayshuttle.com/

Ken

Any information on the Renaissance Hotel (International Plaza), 4200 Jim Walter Blvd.? We have reservations there for $139/nt. I think we can get into the Grand Hyatt or Marriot Westshore for half that on Priceline though.

Any preference on any of the three? I need to return a rental car to Avis, so an airport shuttle would be nice (I'll do that solo). Then taxi/shuttle from hotel to the port?

Thanks in advance, Steve

DVC Calif,

Again, all are good choices. My wife and I though like The Hyatt. Right on the bay with two very good restaurants. Oyster Catchers at sea level ( seafood menu) and Armani's at the top of the hotel overlooking the bay (nothern Italian).

Beautiful sunsets!!!!

Has anyone stayed at Springhill Suites near the airport? This hotel was mentioned way back in January and I haven't heard anything about it since. We were able to get a suite for 5 people for $105.00. We're flying into Tampa on 8-28-05 and leaving on the Inspiration the next day. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I Have Read This Entire Post, Whooooooooooo! Ok I Have A Hotel Question That Hasnt Been Addressed Yet.my Family Will Be Driving From Disneyworld On 12/31/05 To Tampa For A Cruise Leaving On 1/1/06.

I Have Those Hyatt Member Points To Use On A Free Stay. The Hyatts Were Booked Up, Not Surprising On New Years Eve! So Our Other Choice Was Amerisuites Which Is Affliated With Hyatt. They Had Three In The Area But Only One Had Good Reviews And So I Booked That One. It Is Some Where Near A Corporate Park Or Citibank Center On Princess Palm Ave. Ok Am I In A Safe Area? Any Where Good To Eat Close By? And Maybe A Safe Place To Celebrate New Years Eve? Thanks So Much Ahead Of Time!

I Have Read This Entire Post, Whooooooooooo! Ok I Have A Hotel Question That Hasnt Been Addressed Yet.my Family Will Be Driving From Disneyworld On 12/31/05 To Tampa For A Cruise Leaving On 1/1/06.

I Have Those Hyatt Member Points To Use On A Free Stay. The Hyatts Were Booked Up, Not Surprising On New Years Eve! So Our Other Choice Was Amerisuites Which Is Affliated With Hyatt. They Had Three In The Area But Only One Had Good Reviews And So I Booked That One. It Is Some Where Near A Corporate Park Or Citibank Center On Princess Palm Ave. Ok Am I In A Safe Area? Any Where Good To Eat Close By? And Maybe A Safe Place To Celebrate New Years Eve? Thanks So Much Ahead Of Time!

That area the Amerisuite is in is just south of the junction of I-4 and I-75 just south of the MLK exit. This if memory serves correct is an industial park area. In the area south of there on RT60 is a mall with all the usual restaurants. I also checked the Hyatt web site and the Hyatt in downtown Tampa is indeed booked, but the Grand Hyatt in the Westshore area on the top of Tampa Bay seems to still be taking reservations. Price for 12/31/05 seems to be $239.00.

Comment...you might be getting a stall from Hyatt because you are using points on a big night.

I have been a cruise critic reader for a few years now. I have enjoyed the reviews and helpful information that I have read on the boards. We just got back from cruising on the Miracle (5/29/05). We had a terrific time! We loved the ship and staff. We did have one problem that really upset me. Based on information I read on the boards we decided to

spend our pre-cruise night in Tampa at the Woodfin-Chase Suites. The free shuttle from the airport and to the pier was the deciding factor in making the reservation. I called the Woodfin-Chase Suites to confirm the free shuttle from the airport and to the pier. Another member of our group also called to confirm the shuttle. Both of us were told that “Yes” the shuttle from the airport and to the pier was included in the price of the room. After a little difficultly communicating with the person at the hotel desk the shuttle picked us up at the airport.

(We were a group of ten). When we got to the hotel we wanted to make arrangements for the next day’s shuttle to the pier. At that time we were told that the shuttle to the pier was not included with the price of our rooms. There was some attitude and rudeness from the front desk person. Later when the manager arrived we spoke to her, she was pleasant to us except she also said that the shuttle was not included in the price of our rooms. She said the best she could do was to give us some package deal which added $20.00 to each room. That made my room $179.00 for one night. Some deal! On top of this the bathroom wasn’t clean; urine was sprayed all over the toilet, floor and wall. When I brought this their attention, they did send someone right away. (But he didn’t clean the wall) Later, exhausted from a long day, I crawled between the sheets to find what felt like sand, it possibly could have been soap powder. I didn’t want to know, I couldn’t wait to leave. Hopefully our experience will help someone else make a better decision then I did in where to spend the pre or post cruise nights. I felt terrible when I had to tell the other people in our group they would have to pay more for their rooms.

Hi,

I just read your experience and my stomach dropped. I just cancelled my Hilton Westshore reservations for the Woodfin / Chase suites because there are 11 people in my group.

I'm holding two 2 bedroom suites and was told that the "ship to shore" price included transportation to and from the port.

Were you also told this at the time of booking and then they changed their story? or did you book you room as a regular reservation?

I really don't want to have to find another hotel but I don't want my group to think that I booked them a "dump" for the night. Looking forward to any advice you can give.

Thanks,

Michelle

Hi,

When I put in the ship to shore package code which is SSP, the rates quoted for the rooms include the port transportaion. Here's the statement from their website:

Package includes transportation to and from Port of Tampa, parking at no charge at hotel Two Bedroom Suite featuring full kitchen, living room with fireplace and two separate bedrooms. Bedroom on main floor features king size bed and full bath. Bedroom on second floor features loft overlooking the living room and a king size bed with full bath. Couch in living room pulls out to full size sleeper sofa. Rate includes daily breakfast buffet and social hour (M -Thur).

I'm going to cross my finger and keep my existing reservation. I also plan on calling and speaking to the Manager prior to my arrival date. I will also be bringing the page from their website showing the info about the port being included in the price.

If they try to swindle me into paying extra for the port, I will hold up the entire payment for the rooms.

I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks,

Michelle

I called the hotel before I booked. Nothing was said about a special "ship to shore package" at that time. I understood that was a service for all guests.

I am not sure how the other person in our group asked when he called, but he understood it the same way. If there weren't so many people in our group

I would have left, we were all very tired. How much is your room that you booked? We had the two bedroom suite also. Note; the 2 bedroom suites are on the second and third floors.( Alot of steps, you have to carry your own luggage)

Hi,

I was told you have to book under the ship to shore special to get the port price included into the room. I'm paying $169 for the two bedroom suite.

I figured the price is really good b/c there's 11 of us and when I checked for the same room without the "special" code, it was $159 for the two bedroom so were paying an extra $10 per room for 11 people to be shuttled to and from the port.

I was told that the rooms were on the 2nd floor so I know I have to drag the suit case up the stairs. Are there no elevators to use?

Did you get the free breakfast deal also? If so was it any good?. Did you dine at any resturants in the area?

Thanks,

Michelle

Hi !

No elevators. We did stop in for breakfast, it was alright. Muffins, fruit, cereal,

bagels " make your own pancake" and other items in a buffet that I didn't notice what they were. Right next door is Bahama Breeze, you can walk through a hedge to their parking lot. We ate dinner there. it was very good. Watch out for the coconut onion rings-huge plate and delicous. They have a nice patio. In the evening we went there for a couple of drinks, they had live music. A one man band, that I think was trying to pretend he was Jamacian.The music wasn't that great but we still enjoyed ourselves.

It sounds like you got a better price than we did, I hope everything goes OK for you. Everyone was recommending Woodfin Chase Suites on the boards back when I was checking. I just feel we were taken advantage of. And it didn't help when the front desk lady was so rude to us. And that was before we had the "shuttle discussion" with her.

Have a great vacation!

Ellen, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. It is one of the reasons I hate to make recommendations. I was one of the folks who enjoyed by stay at the Chase.

I travel for business frequently and have stayed at much nicer hotels on per diem. However, when I factored in the cost of transportation from the airport and to the port I thought I had a real bargain. Also one person in my party drove so they go to park for 5 nights free. If you had 10 people in your group I can't see how the room wasn't a bargain.

We had tenatively booked two 2 bedroom suites. One suite was to have 6 people. The room for six under the Cruise package was $10 more for the two additional people - for the transportation cost and the breakfast. The price was reduced when it ended up being only 4 in the room.

We must have been lucky because we received great service from the front desk both at check-in and check out. Our pick-up from the airport took about 20 -25 minutes and our pick up at the port was about 45 minutes but our driver on all occassions was helpful and pleasant.

I hope you at least had a great cruise.

Hello!

Yes, we had a terrific cruise! We are usually very lucky in getting great service and meeting very friendly people. This was an exception for us.

Our group booked four rooms, we didn't all share the one suite. We put a lot of time into planning and budgeting, we didn't count on the extra cost especially since we called to verify if the shuttle was included. I am glad that the other person in our group also called to verify so I didn't look quite as foolish. Then the mess in the bathroom just added to the bad experience.

Where did you cruise to when you stayed there for pre- cruise?

We sailed on Carnival's Inspiration to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It was a wonderful cruise.

I'm the planner in our little group and I always hate when no matter how hard I plan and research someone is unhappy with my choices.

Probably the reason I like Chase was the others in my party thought I had done a good job.

I didn't book online because I was too nervous about the transportation to the port since I had read mixed reviews. I called the hotel and asked for the special. But I was still nervous that it wouldn't work out. I wasn't as worried about the ride to the port as I was about the pick-up after the cruise. Did they pick you up after?

The Inspiration is the first cruise ship we ever went on. We loved having breakfast at the back of the ship and watching the water swirl behind the ship.

No ride from the pier to the airport(that wasn't included for our group either)

I think we were just jinxed with that hotel and their services. Our experience seems to have been very different than other peoples.

Okay......I tried to read this whole thread, but my eyes are starting to cross!!! So, can anyone recommend hotels that are close to the cruise ship terminal? I'd love to be able to see the ship from the hotel room! Thanks for the help!!

KenMo - By far the best place you can stay near the cruise terminals is the Marriott Waterside Hotel. It's very close, and if you get a room on the N. or E. side of the building, you can see all the cruise terminals and the ships. The Carnival ship will be just a few blocks away. It doesn't get any better in downtown Tampa. If you go to my photo page at the Yahoo address listed in my signature block, then click on the Tampa album, there are lots of pics of this hotel, the port area, street cars, and the Channelside District. In addition, there is the Wyndham Harbour Island Hotel just across Garrison Channel from the Marriott Waterside, but your view of the cruise terminals may be obstructed to some extent (the hotel doesn't seem to get at good of reviews as the Marriott). There is a high rise Hyatt, the Hyatt Regency, that's right in the middle of downtown Tampa. The other hotels in downtown Tampa aren't going to give you a view of the ships in port.

AUTUMN SUN - Ditto's what jessemon said. That area of Princess Palm is an office park complex. Not a bad area. I would consider it relatively safe. To find places to eat, and/or party, you would have to go further S. to State Rd 60 (also known as Adamo Drive). Every type of restaurant you can think of is in the area to the E. and W. of I-75 (Hooters, Tia's TexMex, Smokey Bones BBQ, Sonny's BBQ, Macaroni's Grill, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and more). About the only "party" place would be Hooters late at night. There's a large hotel on the SW corner of I-75 and Martin Luther King Blvd, I think it's the Crowne Plaza, and they probably have a lounge with some party atmosphere for New Years Eve.

Regarding the Chase Suites - Needless to say, I've never stayed there. I live around here, so I don't need to stay in hotels around here. All I know about Chase Suites, is what I've been told by some very reliable people that don't even write on these boards, plus some people who do write on the boards and on this thread. Nobody has ever said a thing bad about this place, until the experience reported by ellen grunau. Be assured, I am not doubting what Ellen reports at all. My only point, is that one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole barrel. For example, the Director of the big local office of the company I work for is staying at the Chase Suites while relocating to Tampa. He said the place is fine with him, no problems. Other co-workers have stayed there too, with no problems, and they actually liked it, not just neutral. Two other nice alternatives on Rocky Point are the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express. It's good to know about being cautious regarding the Ship to Shore Package at the Chase Suites. Actually, I recall someone reporting on paying extra for a shuttle to the port before. Considering the fact that a taxi from that area to the port would exceed $20, even the extra charge isn't that bad. It's true, the Chase Suites isn't the Ritz-Carlton, or a high end Sheraton Hotel (actually, it used to be a Residence Inn at one time), but it isn't bad. With that said, there's no excuse for filth. I would have stood over the guy cleaning the bathroom until he cleaned all the pee up off of everything, including the wall. If anyone else has a sour experience at Chase, I hope they write here about it so everyone will know.

Restaurants on Rocky Point - Rest assured, all of the restaurants out there are very good. If they don't please you, you either weren't hungry to start with, or are just too darned picky.:) Landry's Seafood (a chain restaurant), Bahama Breeze (another chain place), the Rusty Pelican, and Castaway's are all very good places to eat. There are no fast food places at Rocky Point, and no convenience stores.

I've been very, very busy at work, with traveling this week. Sorry for taking a while to get back to you folks.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Thank you for making me feel better about my choice of the "Chase Suites". I'm going to go in there remembering that this is not the Ritz Carlton. It's just a place for us to hang out for the day before our cruise. Hopefully our experience will be a good one. Either way, I'll post my review on the board after my stay there

Thank you for all your help and guidance on this thread. Your opinion really helps those not familiar with the Tampa area.

Take Care,

Michelle