Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Hi Ken

Many thanks for your prompt reply and I enjoyed reading about the history of Florida. For some reason or another I thought it had only be "colonised" in the early 1900's when they built that long causeway with all the bridge spans - shows you what I know! Also, I thought all the cowboys were in the Western part of the states. We did a fly drive of Florida in 1999 but I do not recall seeing cows - maybe the farming belt is north of Sandford. Anyway, we enjoyed our holiday although being used to hills the countryside was quite flat and reminded us of Holland without the canals.

Will check out Best Western. Do you know if I would be better using a US site or should I stick to the UK or even are you better to book direct with the hotel. So many questions eh!

Thanks again

Regards,

Jan

I need help. I am traveling to the Tampa airport and get in at midnight. I need to find a hotel very close to the airport as I am traveling with 2 children. We will be leaving the next day and wanted to find an airport that may shuttle to the port. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Also how far is it from the airport to the port? Thanks again.:p

I need help. I am traveling to the Tampa airport and get in at midnight. I need to find a hotel very close to the airport as I am traveling with 2 children. We will be leaving the next day and wanted to find an airport that may shuttle to the port. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Try Chase Suites. They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then to the port the next morning (after a complimentary breakfast). They have one and two bedroom suites too.

Kim

I would not stay at the Comfort suites.....we had to take our luggage to an upstairs' room...no help. we stayed there because of the shuttle to the pier...it was full and we had to pay for a taxi and the driver did not give us the correct fee.

Judy

Try Chase Suites. They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then to the port the next morning (after a complimentary breakfast). They have one and two bedroom suites too.

Kim

Do you happen to know if there are any discount or promo codes for this property? I have checked everywhere and the cheapest we can come up with is $189/night for the 2-bedroom. When we enter the # of travelers it always defaults to the 2-bedroom instead of the 1-bedroom. Unfortunately we are arriving during Spring Break which is driving up the cost considering the average rate is around $139 according to previous posts. We like the property because of the free breakfast & shuttle to airport & pier.

Help!

Just wanted to report that we stayed at the Downtown Residence Inn on Feb 17 and 18. Taxi fare was a flat rate of $22 from the airport to downtown, also the same from pier to airport. Got to the hotel about 7:00 pm. No bellmen, but did have luggage carts. We were met with very friendly and helpful people at the desk. Had clean one bed studio suites on floor five. We paid $65/night through Priceline. (There was also a single pullout.) The desk directed us to a bar(The Hub), with takeout spirits and beer, about two blocks away. Went there and had a couple, and brought some back. Ordered from Domino's across the the street, and they were at the door in less than 30 minutes. There was a breakfast bar in the morning with hot and cold servings. That evening the hotel shuttled us to the Columbia in Ybor City, and then picked us up when we were done with a great dinner. They also shuttled us to the pier on the 19th. Be sure to sign up at check-in.

I believe this area was once not too desiralbe, but looks like it is on the comeback trail. It has a lot of construction of high rise apartments going on. It is also across from the performing arts center.

Thank you all who have contributed to making this the best hotel/city information center on Cruise Critic.:D

KK

Do you happen to know if there are any discount or promo codes for this property? I have checked everywhere and the cheapest we can come up with is $189/night for the 2-bedroom. When we enter the # of travelers it always defaults to the 2-bedroom instead of the 1-bedroom. Unfortunately we are arriving during Spring Break which is driving up the cost considering the average rate is around $139 according to previous posts. We like the property because of the free breakfast & shuttle to airport & pier.

Help!

How many people in your party? We're four people and when I talked to them they said we're fine with 4 in a one bedroom (2 in the king bed and 2 in the pull out). Works for me! If you're more than 4 people, then you have to do a 2 bedroom.

And those prices you're quoting are about right. That's why we were happy to get the one bedroom for the night.

Kim

We were in Tampa last month. I booked a room on Priceline for $60 per night (we were there 3 days pre-cruise). We rented a car so it really didn't matter where the hotel was located. We stayed at the Fairfield INN in Brandon in ip Code 33619) and it was wonderful. The staff was the most friendly and helpful of any hotel we have EVER stayed at. They gave us directions to all the spots we wanted to go and we never got lost. They had all the directions pre typed on index cards and we were set and ready to go. It is located within minutes shoppig plazas, large malls, restaurants, Interstates, etc.

We dropped the rental car back at the airport and took a cab to the airport - it was $22.00 without tip. When we arrived back into port we took a shuttle to the airport that we did not reserve - they were available at the pier. Think we paid $9.00 each for the transport to the air port - well worth it. It was quick and no bother at all.

I highly recommend the Fairfield Inn. They had a wonderful continental breakfast with waffles, breakfast sandwiches and all the usual donuts, cereal, etc.

Marion

We are looking at a post-cruise for Tampa but am concerned about how early we can get a shuttle from a hotel since our flight is at 6:35 a.m. I know some shuttles do not run 24/7. Any suggestions on those hotels that would have a 24 hour shuttle without costing a fortune? Is it just better to take a cab?

Thanks!

We are arriving late 11 pm and will be taking the shuttle or taxi to the hotel. Than go to the port the next morning. Can anyone tell me how close a grocery/liquor store may be? We want to p/u some wine, rum & diet cokes. Your help is apprecited! We leave in 27 days!!!

Happy Cruising~

Donna

:) Hello.I have read this whole Thread and I really apreciate the time and effort of the people who tried to help.We will be arrining in Tampa 3 days before our Carnival Inspiration cruise in Jul 21. I know all about the hotels in the safe side of town and the shuttles to and from the airport and port.I have 3 teenage kids who want to spend the 3 days in Bush garden and the water park next to it.So my question is ,Has anyone stayed in one of the good safe hotels and used their shuttle to get to Bush Garden?? Is it free? We are trying to see if we can get away without renting a car and have to pay parking everywhere we go. I really apreciate and info I can get about this.:)

Has anyone ever stayed at the Hampton Inn located by the airport?

(About 1 mile from the airport)

I have seen mixed reviews on Travel Advisor.....

How about you cruise critics??

We will be in Tampa on May 11 (2 days prior to Cruise).

When we return our rental car to the airport, we will need transportation to the port. What is the best way to get there?

All suggestions will be appreciated!

Thank you!

The Bailey's:p :)

We just took a van taxi to the airport. there were 4 of us. It was $27. $22 for the first person and $.50 for each additonal person and $.50 for each suitcase.....so $27 plus a nice tip...our luggage was heavy. there was a man there who wanted to get the taxi for you but we by passed him and got our own. He wanted a tip to put your luggage in the taxi.

judy

Hi Ken,

The info you posted is very informative. Would like your advice please.

My wife and I flying from Detroit 03/25/07 and arrive 11am (our ship the Miracle leaves at 4pm) and have no transportation to the pier w/Carnival. We have to figure out how to get our luggage to the port after we land so we can maybe do some shopping. The main question I have is below.

We have never been to the area before and want to take a Taxi from the airport, do some safe shopping (clothes, drug store stuff) and then take a Taxi to the pier from there. We are in our 50's and from the Detroit area so you can imagine why we want safe shopping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nicholas

How many people in your party? We're four people and when I talked to them they said we're fine with 4 in a one bedroom (2 in the king bed and 2 in the pull out). Works for me! If you're more than 4 people, then you have to do a 2 bedroom.

And those prices you're quoting are about right. That's why we were happy to get the one bedroom for the night.

Kim

There's only 3 of us. My mother, daughter and myself. Maybe it was the website I used at the time (woodfinhotels.com) - for some reason it would automatically bump us into the 2-bedroom for anything more than 2 guests . I will try to go to another website to reserve it. Thanks.

Hi folks,

Sorry for delays. I've been so busy with work that I don't feel like typing at night. I must type ten million characters a day, or so it seems.

Staro - You might want to reconsider the rental car idea. By the time you pay taxis to take you around for 3 days, you may have spent more than for a rental (depending on the size of the rental, of course). Consider that it's $22-25 from the airport to the cruise terminals downtown. It's at least that far up to Busch Gardens area from the port area. Consider that every time you want something to eat, to go to the store, etc, it's another cab ride (not to mention waiting for cabs). I don't know if the decent hotels to the N. of the Busch Gardens areas do shuttles to that location, but they certainly might. It's not far for them. As I've mentioned before, if you want to stay near Busch Gardens, DO NOT book anything with an address on Busch Blvd. The only locations I'd consider on that end of town would be in the area of 30th to 40th St on E. Fowler Avenue, with addresses running from 3000 to 4000. Tampa is a big town, spread out widely. It's about 20 miles from the S tip of the interbay peninsula to the N. City limits, and just about as wide. The Busch Gardens area isn't anywhere close to the airport, or the cruise terminals. It's about 7 miles from the airport to the docks. Hauling 5 people around in taxi's could get even more expensive too. I don't have large amounts of money to throw around myself, so I understand, but we have to be realistic.

crcmb@msn.com - I'm familiar with the area of the Hampton Inn near the airport, which is on N. Westshore Blvd. It's a quiet, primarily business district. Hampton Inn has got to be one of the best of most consistent hotels of it's type in the USA. I've stayed at their locations for business and pleasure all across the country, with no disappointments. Besides, they have a guarantee in place (it's on the website). I give those Trip Advisor things little credibility. Some folks who think they are "blue bloods" or part of the "aristocracy" find something to moan and groan about everywhere. I've seen people trash places I've stayed, and was totally amazed. I never even look at Trip Advisor. I live here, so I haven't stayed in that hotel, but it looks like a decent Hampton Inn to me. There's a nice little Cuban restaurant within a block that's open for lunch, weekdays. Great food, good portions, and really nice prices. It's relatively close to other places to eat too. The easiest way back to the port is by taxi for about $22 for 2, one way. You can also get Super Shuttle at the airport. They have a web site. I like taxi's. They take you directly to the port with no stopping.

T2188na - If you are arriving at 11AM on the day of the cruise, you won't have loads of time to mess around. If you are due at the gate at 11AM, you will be lucky if you leave the airport by 11:45 or so. You will need to be at the ship well before 4PM, like 2:30 at the latest. By then, you should be able to leave the taxi and walk right through embarkation with no waits. What are you going to do with your luggage while you are shopping? There's no grocery stores near the cruise terminal. Near the airport, on Westshore Blvd, is the Westshore Plaza Mall. Nice place, lots of stores, a food court, etc. Right across the street at the corner of Kennedy Blvd and Westshore is a Walgreens Drug Store. They have lots of stuff you might want. This is close to the airport, and safe. Walgreens has the drug store stuff, and you can get clothes over at the mall stores. If you get the cab to take you to the cruise terminal to drop your luggage, then want to get a cab to go somewhere else, I suppose you could pull that off OK. There's a Publix Supermarket somewhere in the area of Bayshore Blvd and Cass St (the cabby would know where it is - very nice grocery store). That on the same end of town as the cruise terminals, but too far to walk. There are some little shops of some sort there at Channelside, but probably not what you have in mind.

Regarding questions about Chase Suites - Those of you having questions about Chase Suites, wondering about shuttle to the port, two bedroom suite, etc - here's an approach that will most likely work nicely - try the telephone. I know that's old fashion, but it tends to work quite well in a pinch. That way, you can ask for and reserve what you want, asks lots of questions, etc.

Hope this helps.

Ken

:) Thank you Ken for answering my Questions.Actually we already have reservation for an suv for the two weeks we will be staying in Florida.We will be heading to Orlando after the cuise for 5 days and we knew we need a car then but we were trying to see if we can do without before the cruise for the 3 days we will be in Tampa then we will have to pay parking for the 5 days we will be on the cruise. We do not have a hotel yet ,I am still looking for a good price,i do not want to pay for 2 rooms it is expensive and few hotels do not take 5 in one room.I have heard of the good deals people are getting on Priceline but I am afraid to try because what if i get a hotel that do not take 5 in one room?:)

fyi, our Doubletree/Westshore Dream Deal pkg for Dec. (breakfast, shuttle to airport/port/airport) dropped in price to $133.28 inclusive when I checked yesterday:D AAA rate.

the best rate i've found that includes breakfast & all transportation.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for a hotel that has shuttle from airport, shuttle to port and here's the next twist: post cruise--what's the best way to get a car rental?

Or should I just rent a car at the airport and leave it (we will only need the car for about 4days post cruise)?

Any suggestions for this?

Thanks