Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

bellybutton, I have tried to get in touch with the new manager, Robert Penney but have so far only talked to desk clerks and voice mail.

The hotel was sold in October. I was there in November for an overnight stay and left the car. When I returned on December 11th there was no problem getting a shuttle. At no charge. But until I can speak to the new manager I won't say it hasn't changed.

As I previously wrote on here, if you buy through buyreservations.com, you are purchasing a pkg which includes the hotel pre or post cruise, parking and transport. Unless you talk to Mr Penney, I would go that route to be sure. And the price is pretty good with them, just no Hilton points.

Hope this manager comes through and doesn't ignore me. This has been a hotel I have stayed at for the last 5 years and I will hate to stop recommending it! Won't say much good for either his tenure or the new companies if there is no response.

Thanks for giving it a try! We are still going to stay there because we had a great experience last time. I hope for the same this time!

I just spoke with the Doubletree - Westshore. They offer free shuttle to/from the airport. There is a $10 fee per person for the shuttle to the cruise terminal.

We're not renting a car, so this will be a good deal for us!

Thanks for the recommendation!

Well I guess we will be taking a cab then since I will not pay $40 from the Weshshore to the port. I am bummed because that wasn't the way it use to be:rolleyes:

Crud!

I have just written an email (I hate to do that but time you know) to the President and CEO of Hostmark Ltd the new owners telling him I am upset over having to chase the hotel manager and asking for clarification. I also copied the Preident of Hilton and some other honcho at Hilton whose name I've forgotten.

Maybe I'll get something back. I've already gotten delivery receipts now I'll wait for the read receipts.

You can't say I don't try!!!:D

Crud!

I have just written an email (I hate to do that but time you know) to the President and CEO of Hostmark Ltd the new owners telling him I am upset over having to chase the hotel manager and asking for clarification. I also copied the Preident of Hilton and some other honcho at Hilton whose name I've forgotten.

Maybe I'll get something back. I've already gotten delivery receipts now I'll wait for the read receipts.

You can't say I don't try!!!:D

You Go Girl! I can't wait to see what they write you!

It seems that NICE hotels in Tampa that actaully offer shuttle service are few. We ended up booking at Embassy Suites as I have always had good luck there. They have a rest. on site and they will shuttle from the airport to hotel and provide arrangements to the port as well.

Have fun!

We booked at the Howard Johnson Downtown Plaza in Tampa for our Oct. Cruise. Got a good rate of 109 per night with transportation from the airport to hotel...from hotel to the pier and free transportation within a two mile area...which channelside, ybor city and other major attactions are within....no transportation from port to airport, but thats okay. I know its a long time off but will let you know how it was...also it has just been completely renovated.

Has anyone stayed here.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

bellybutton, it took some doing and a letter to the president of the company that now owns Doubletree Westshore, but here is the important part of the letter I rec'd today:

Please note that the Package rate floats off our Best Available Rate on the date at the time of booking. This means that the rate will differ depending upon time of year, occupancy or historical demand for that day/date. The package includes accommodations and up to 14 days parking. The package does not include Port of Tampa transportation fees which are purchased by the guest upon check-in. Currently, the rate for roundtrip transportation from the hotel to the port is $15 per person, adult/child. There is no charge for luggage but we do request a limit of two bags and a carry-on per passenger.

Not great especially if there are more than two people in your party but at least it's something.

In their favor, it's a very safe hotel with all inside corridor rooms, security patrolled parking lots, GREAT beds, warm chocolate chip cookies, friendliness of shuttle drivers who go WAY above and beyond and a convenient location.

Down side is the charge for port shuttle, no free breakfast, food isn't great if you want to eat there for breakfast or dinner.

However, if you want to rent a car (I know, you just bought a park and cruise) the day before and drive it to the port, the cost is minimal and you can drop the car at the hotel across the street. I found one for $25.95 per day which is almost cheaper than a cab or the shuttle for more than two people. You could pick up a car at the same place when you return.

I had really hoped they would be a little more accommodating, but with the downturn in the economy maybe they'll actually be ADDING services in a few months just to woo us back!!

On my next trip in April, because it's a repo, I'm going to rent a car and drive to Tampa, drop off luggage the next day and then take the car across the street to the hotel rental car area and walk back to the port (about a block, short block).

CrackerKen -- thanks again for your input on the Hyatt Regency Tampa. I did have my TA book it for 2 nights prior to my Dec Grandeur cruise. In the meantime, have been checking out things to do, etc., and came across the Victorian Christmas thing at the Plant Museum (hotel?). This looks like it might be interesting to check out -- is it far from the Hyatt to get there? Walkable / taxi / or trolley?

Has anyone checked this out? Any feedback on it?

Cheers,

CrackerKen -- thanks again for your input on the Hyatt Regency Tampa. I did have my TA book it for 2 nights prior to my Dec Grandeur cruise. In the meantime, have been checking out things to do, etc., and came across the Victorian Christmas thing at the Plant Museum (hotel?). This looks like it might be interesting to check out -- is it far from the Hyatt to get there? Walkable / taxi / or trolley?

Has anyone checked this out? Any feedback on it?

Cheers,

No, taxi from Rocky Point to the port is not a problem. It's $20-$25 to the port from the airport. Rocky Point is a few miles further away from the port. Maybe $30? Not bad. You also have an option like Bay Shuttle if you have a bigger crew needing transport to the port.

Again - please note - The shuttle for the Hampton Inn and the Holiday Inn Express is the SAME van. Both hotels signs are on the SAME shuttle van. The same van/driver services both hotels. I saw it as recently as last week. These property join each other, and I think the same organization is behind the ownership.

BTW - The Holiday Inn Express is a nice place. I've stayed there overnight. They just recently refurbed the outside. Hampton looks like it's fine too. The skyline is changing out there at Rocky Point. On the property between the Hampton/HIE and Courtney Campbell Causeway, they are putting up a high rise condo/hotel building. The cranes are there now, and the building is on the way up. Also in the planning stages is a new Ritz Carlton Resort that's going to take up the ground where the Radission is presently located. There are no stores or fast food joints on Rocky Point. Just hotels, office buildings, and a few more expensive places. When I'm at the office on Friday and some of us want to go somewhere away from the building for lunch, we have to leave the island and go elsewhere (or else blow more money than we want to).

Ken

Hi Ken,

Have you stay at the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel or know anythng about it? Are there things near by?

bellybutton - The only car rental place I've heard of in the area of the Port of Tampa is a Hertz desk at the Marriott Waterside Hotel. That's about 1/2 mile or so to the W of the cruise teminals, on Channelside Drive. Also, I don't know if that's just for hotel guests or not. I know of no other rental place in that area.

Pho777 - Yes, do a search on this thread - try "Riverwalk" as your search term, and/or maybe Sheraton. I have stayed there in the past, like maybe 9 years ago. Nice place. The port and the Channelside complex is on the other side of the downtown core from the Sheraton Riverwalk. The hotel is in the middle of the business district with big tall meetings all around. It's a ways to get to anything else of interest.

Folks - Everyone - You would be surprised as to what's on this thread. It's mighty long, for sure. There's hardly anything I've written on this thread that's out-dated. If folks would take the time to look at the thread and make notes, or at least scan over it, you can find a lot of good stuff. If people would spend 10% of the time reading this thread that I've spent typing and answering, it would be a lot easier for me. Actually, if it wasn't for redundancies, and answering the same questions over and over, the thread would probably be about 1/2 the size it is, or less.

Ken

Folks - Everyone - You would be surprised as to what's on this thread. It's mighty long, for sure. There's hardly anything I've written on this thread that's out-dated. If folks would take the time to look at the thread and make notes, or at least scan over it, you can find a lot of good stuff. If people would spend 10% of the time reading this thread that I've spent typing and answering, it would be a lot easier for me. Actually, if it wasn't for redundancies, and answering the same questions over and over, the thread would probably be about 1/2 the size it is, or less.

Ken

Yeah Ken breezing through the thread I see a lot of repitition but your advice is great and absolutly appreciated. Thank you so much for the info!

BigGreg - Thanks much. I was once thinking about reviewing the entire thread and making an index of where certain topics are located, based on the posting number. That would be awful time consuming and I've never got around to it. Still, as sure as I did that, someone would ask a redundant question in the next post. :rolleyes: I've seen people ask questions within 4 posts of the same question and answer. Go figure.

By the way - The pictures on my photo pages of the Port of Tampa area are getting kind of dated. When I can catch a nice clear weekend, I'm heading over there to get some updated pics. Everything in my pics is still there, but there are a lot of changes and additions.

The Channelside area has build up tremendously with condos of various sizes, including two high rise condos. The building is improving the area considerably. Still, there are no economy hotels immediatly near the port or cruise terminal area (like within a block or two). Real estate in that area is sky high, which is probably why you don't find any rent-a-car lots down there, as well as cheaper hotels.

Ken

Ken

Look back through the many pages on this thread? That would prevent boarders from getting instant gratification by getting an answer without research or work. besides it would prevent having a "conversation". At the risk of asking a question previously answered , may I get your opinion about the Marriot Waterside. Is it worth the extra money, ? Do you get a first class experience which is what I want to give my wife for her first cruise, or are less expensive hotels just as good in providing that pre cruise stay and experience.?