RevNeal - LIVE from the Ryndam & Amsterdam

RevNeal

Greetings from Vancouver, British Columbia!

It is great to be back in Canada and on yet another pre-cruise stay in one of the loveliest cities in the world: Vancouver! Even though the skies are overcast and it's been raining, it is still a lovely city and it's obvious that they've been working hard to get ready for the upcoming Winter Olympics. The major roads are being worked on, new hotels are going up near the airport and elsewhere, Olympic symbols can be seen everywhere, and it is clear that the people are excited about what's coming!

I have invariably found that the first day of vacation, with the insanity of pre-cruise travel, is always the second roughest part of any cruise -- the roughest part being the day they have to pry your grasping fingers out of the woodwork and carry you, kicking and screaming, off the ship ;) This was true of today. Mom and I departed her house at 8 am, the Towncar driver having arrived 15 minutes early; it's a good thing, too, because Dallas traffic lived up to my worst expectations and it took nearly an hour to get to DFW airport (when it should have taken about half an hour). Nevertheless, we got checked in with American Airlines and were pleasantly surprised with our first good news of the cruise: we cleared the Business Class upgrade! Yippie! And, sure enough, the flight to Vancouver -- although it was nearly 4 hours long -- was actually quite pleasant. The plane was only about 2/3 full in the Coach, and there were even two empty seats up in "Business."

We landed at YVR and I was immediately reminded of the one thing I do NOT like about Vancouver: their airport. One lands at one side and has to walk literally all the way over to the other side and then wait in an hour-long line to pass through Passport Control ... all without access to any "rooms of requirement." I thought my eyeballs were going to start floating by the time we finally managed to get to where I could pay my respects to the Canadian plumbing.

The drive through Vancouver was wild and long ("wild" in that the driver didn't like to stay in any single lane for any length of time, was constantly cussing in Arabic, and thrice "lost his way" due to traffic accidents and road work); however, both mother and I had a wonderful time sight-seeing and laughing at our driver's supposedly unintentional imitation of Steve McQueen. The downtown area of Vancouver is always a lovely sight to behold when one bursts out onto the bridge and crosses to the downtown area from the suburban residential area. With its many tall Town House towers, I was reminded of one of the reasons why I wouldn't mind living here.

We made our way down to Canada Place and the Pan Pacific Hotel, where we have an excellent harbor view room looking straight out on the bay: the Lion's Gate bridge is off to the left, and the approach routes are in clear view. We're high up (on the 21st floor), so photographing of the ships as they approach and depart tonight, tomorrow, and Friday morning is going to be excellent!

Tomorrow my mother and I will be taking a tour up to Grouse Mountain ... hopefully the weather will cooperate. :)

And so, yet another glorious HAL cruise is about to begin ... and with it the beginning of the 2009 Alaska Season!

Thanx for posting Rev Neil - I'm so jealous! Sounds like you're having a great time! Are you on the Amsterdam first or second? We're book on her for the new 14-day Alaskan itinerary on May 31, 2010. Have only sailed on my beloved Oosterdam before, so I'm really anxious and excited to hear about the Amsterdam and live vicariously through you, so please don't disappoint! LOL!

Sounds like you had an eventful day of travel, but sure does sound like fun! Enjoy your day tomorrow and keep us posted when you can! Happy sailing to you and Mom!

I know what you mean about the YVR airport. You get off the plane all excited and then end up in a labryinth rope line for a good hour.

Well,you survived the rope line and the taxi driver. It's now time for some fun

Have a great cruise.

We will be sailing on the Veendam to Vancouver on the 14th.....I can't wait! It is a beautful city and when the "subway" is completed, one will be able to get from the airport to Canada Place in about 30 minutes.

David

We landed at YVR and I was immediately reminded of the one thing I do NOT like about Vancouver: their airport. One lands at one side and has to walk literally all the way over to the other side and then wait in an hour-long line to pass through Passport Control ... all without access to any "rooms of requirement." I thought my eyeballs were going to start floating by the time we finally managed to get to where I could pay my respects to the Canadian plumbing.

Thanks for the warning!!:p

Have a wonderful cruise, Greg! Same to your mom.

I'll be anxiously awaiting your photos...

Speaking of photos, did you ever post those from the Good Nuts Cruise? I couldn't find them...but maybe I was doing something wrong.

Bon Voyage Greg (and Greg's Mom, also of course). Hope you have a stupendous time aboard ship and in all those wonderful ports of call. You are going to be on my two favorite HAL ships.

I haven't been on the Ryndam for a couple of years now but almost have a dedicated cabin on the Amsterdam and will be on her this coming September for another 63 days - I can't wait.

I am so looking forward to enjoying reading about all your adventures.

Fair winds and following seas - oh, and have a really, really wonderful time enjoying each other and all your adventures together.

Valerie:)

Welcome to Vancouver, Greg!

If you have time, you should check out the area around the new convention centre next to the Pan Pacific - the work they did on the seawall around Canada Place is remarkable.

We'll be on the NCL Pearl for a quickie weekend cruise the same day you leave on the Ryndam, so I'll try to get some shots of the Ryndam leaving for you, if all ships leave at the same time (it'll be a busy day at Canada Place with Ryndam, Rhapsody of the Seas, and NCL Pearl all there).

Have an excellent cruise and enjoy your time at Grouse Mountain tomorrow - hopefully this rain we're having will clear up! Should be nice by Friday...

Gotta love our Dallas traffic, huh Rev? Congrats on the "business class" upgrade....I've already got mine confirmed for my DFW-YVR-DFW trip and I know what a huge difference that makes on a lengthy flight. I really appreciate the heads up about the non-existent heads :D between the arrival gate and clearing immigration. When I feel my ears popping for the final decent, I'll be sure to make one last trip to the onboard blue water in the air.

Here's wishing you and your mom a fabulous time visiting our glorious 49th state!

Diane

RevNeal....welcome to Vancouver! Glad to have you visiting!

For next time....there is a convenience between the aircraft landing place and the Customs/Immigration rope line but they have worked hard to keep it a secret. (We only found it a coulpe of weeks ago when getting home from San Diego.)

Just as you enter the 'great hall' where the Customs/Immigration line-ups are ...if you look towards the set of escalators at the end of the room...you will see some tiny signs....the convenience rooms are to the right of the escalators. A good place to stop before getting into the rope-line.

Hope you and your mother have a great vacation...the weather is supposed to be good for the next couple of days.... but you might want to kick Grouse Mountain to Friday which will be the day this week with the most sun!

Welcome to Vancouver! I hope you have a great time here...sorry the weather is not the best. The last 3 times I've come through customs at YVR I've only had to wait 1 to 2 minutes at the most. I hate to hear of people having to wait an hour. I'm so proud of how beautiful our airport is, but if you're in long line-ups and feeling uncomfortable, then you probably won't even notice all the great artwork, etc.

Have a great cruise!

Are you going on the Amsterdam or Ryndam? I presume it is the Ryndam as the Amsterdam goes out of Seattle. Have a great Cruise.

I believe that RevNeal indicated that they were doing a 7-Day Northbound cruise on one ship then returning on a 7-Day Southbound cruise on the other ship.

Archived