Quickie Question--Mt. Robert Tramway

bragstarr

Going to Alaska on Star Princess July 19. Trying to figure out an itinerary. I figure in Juneau I will take shuttle bus to Mendenhall Glacier/Tongass National Park (any advice on this would be appreciated--are the shuttle buses right at the pier?) and then later take the Mt. Ropberts Tramway to the top. Does one have to make reservations in advance for the tramway, or can you just buy the tickets when you get off the ship at the pier? How far from the ships is the tramway?

Thank you!

We are cruising the week of May 23, and sounds like you have plans similar to ours (we are also doing a helicopter tour w/ Coastal).

From what I've been told, the tramway is walking distance from the ships and it's not necessary to buy tickets in advance. There are some pictures posted somewhere on cc that people have taken from the tram looking down at the ships, and it is right there.

There are threads talking about Medenhall and the shuttle buses ... I recall they run frequently and it's $7pp (can't remember if that's one-way or rt).

I'll be able to report back more details and fresh info when we return home on May 31.

Wait until you get there before buying your tickets for the Tram. The price is the same. And by waiting, you'll know if the weather is actually clear enough for you to see anything.

here's one of the photos showing where the tram office is. photo was taken from the offices of our whale watching tour, orca enterprises. the shuttles ,to mendenhall, are found around the parking lot. public restrooms are, also, there.

1597528173_20Tramstation.jpg.8659de7b77827d9a18e35c7dd3b2c4d7.jpg

We were in Juneau in 7/2006 and 8/2007. Both times it was too cloudy to go up the tram. For a few seconds it would clear, then go back to cloudy, so YES, definately wait to buy tickets. As for the busses to Mendenhall, they are very close to the ship. Depending upon where you dock, they may be within feet of the exit.

here's one of the photos showing where the tram office is. photo was taken from the offices of our whale watching tour, orca enterprises. the shuttles ,to mendenhall, are found around the parking lot. public restrooms are, also, there.

Thanks everyone. Information much appreciated. Too much to plan at once--2 nights in Seattle, Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau and Victoria (although, with docking 6PM-midnite, I don't think we are going far...)

If the weather is clear, definitely go up. There are some beautiful trails at the top. The tickets are good all day, too.

after reading about bears in Alaska, and checking out the websites for guided bear tours with all the guides carrying large rifles.....is it safe to hike on your own? I have read what to do if you come upon a bear, keep one other person (preferably some one you don't love) between you and the bear LOL.....seriously though, is it wise to hike without a guide?

Does anyone know if you can hike up MT Roberts or do you have to take the tramway ?

We're planning to hike up when we're there May 18th, weather permitting.

The trailhead is located at the east end of Sixth Street. The trail is about 2 miles long with an elevation gain of 1800 feet and should take 1 to 2 hours. Note, this is only to the top of the Mt. Roberts tram. There are additional trails to the 3800 feet summit.

The tram ride down technically is $5 or you can spend $5 on food or souvenirs and show the receipt, but supposedly they never check.;)

How long does it take the tram to go up and how long back down? Trying to decide if we will have time to go up and look around if we only have 1-2 hrs after our excursion.

kslmp- The tram takes maybe 5 minutes each way. One hour is great for a full round trip and reasonable visit at the top as long as you don't plan to go hiking. Two hours is more than enough. Did you know the rather pricey tickets are good for unlimited trips all day? Also, Toursaver had coupons last year (not sure this year) that were 2:1 and made the cost reasonable.

after reading about bears in Alaska, and checking out the websites for guided bear tours with all the guides carrying large rifles

Support your right to Arm Bears :D

How much time should be allowed to take the tramway up and down and to look around at what is there-( not really hiking though)

I am trying to decide where I could squeeze this in...

I'd allow an hour, but if you don't shop, you could probably make it in half an hour at the top.

We went on the tram in Sept. 2006, and it was not necessary to buy tickets in advance. There are hiking trails up to the top of the mountain. There are also bears there! On the way back down, someone in the tram saw a bear on one of the trails. Here is a picture of the Sun Princess and the Coral Princess - taken from the top of the tram ride.

P9060022.jpg.7de7674e319e65faac3ef62c2825e77f.jpg

Archived