Water Proof Camera Case???

holdon216

Is there such a thing??? I have a Fuji Digi camera. I am pretty sure i have read mention of water proof camera cases. In the past i have just used the disposable underwater cameras. They work great BTW.

BUT, if i can get a case to put my Fuji in and take it under water that would be great. Is there such a thing,and has anyone ever ruined their camera by using it??? Thanks!!!

I've used a Dicapac for my Canon Powershot. It works fine snorkeling or in the pool. I use it at the beach also to protect from sand. I got it on Ebay. The screen cracked on my camera and I replaced it with one with a 10x zoom. The Dicapac won't accomodate it now:mad:, and I haven't been able to find one that does. It's a vinyl pouch that has a ziplock closure and then folds over 3 times and velcros. It has a neckstrap to keep you from dropping it. Just make sure the lens is centered or you will have a black frame around your pictures.

sewut

Is there such a thing??? I have a Fuji Digi camera. I am pretty sure i have read mention of water proof camera cases. In the past i have just used the disposable underwater cameras. They work great BTW.

BUT, if i can get a case to put my Fuji in and take it under water that would be great. Is there such a thing,and has anyone ever ruined their camera by using it??? Thanks!!!

I asked that question of a local dive shop. They are designed only for particular cameras and if you could get one for your camera it would be 2 or 3 times the price of the camera. Typically these things are used by professional photographic divers - what a great job that must be!

Sure, you can probably get an underwater housing for just about any camera, but as a previous post stated, the housing would most likely exceed the cost of the camera many times over. If you're only planning to snorkel, those water resistant camera bags work well enough, just make sure you close them up properly & don't take them down more than the rated depth. And if you see anything liquid sloshing around in the bag, surface immediately! :D

The single-use underwater film cameras do a decent enough job, if you're willing to wait to get your pix developed.

I've used a Dicapac for my Canon Powershot. It works fine snorkeling or in the pool. I use it at the beach also to protect from sand. I got it on Ebay. The screen cracked on my camera and I replaced it with one with a 10x zoom. The Dicapac won't accomodate it now:mad:, and I haven't been able to find one that does. It's a vinyl pouch that has a ziplock closure and then folds over 3 times and velcros. It has a neckstrap to keep you from dropping it. Just make sure the lens is centered or you will have a black frame around your pictures.

sewut

I also just ordered a Dicapac case for my camera and i was rather impressed. For 30 bucks its a good deal i think and will work out fine for shallow water.

we saw the camera bags in a local camera shop and looked up reviews on amazon and they were VERY mixed, enough to scare me. :(

They have custom housing for cameras but were very expensive (hundreds of dollars).

we were planning to just use disposable underwater cameras again but I hate those because you can't tell if your pictures came out ok, you have to pay to develop them, and you dont have digital images...

I stumbled across a cheap underwater digital camera online for $59 (12mp camera, underwater case, memory card, batteries, strap, etc) and while I knew the quality wouldnt be the best, as long as it was on par with the disposables it would be worth it to me and essentially pay for itself w/ developing costs. i'd rather be able to see our pictures instantly, upload them to my laptop w/out developing, and use a zoom.

it came in the mail, and yes -- its nowhere near my point and shoot (or DH's DSLR) but it looks like it will do the job. we're too afraid to ruin DH's nice camera, or even my point and shoot although we'd consider a water bag for mine ... I heard they fog up and that its hard to get a good picture so I wasn't convinced.

I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to cameras, I still have the hard-cased 35mm underwater camera with flash I bought years ago (and I can still change film one-handed and dripping wet). I'm thinking of popping for a digital that can go underwater as well as above, especially because I'm not big on touristy type pictures.

I bought a waterproof camera bag (aquapac, I think). When I tried it out with my camera (Canon Powershot) 9 times out of 10 the camera would not start because the lens hit the bag and thought it was an error. It was hard enough dealing with that NOT in the water!

So instead I bought a waterproof digital camera (Olympus Stylus 1050). I haven't used it underwater yet, but it takes great pictures.

Take a look at the Olympus SW cameras i bought one for the DW and she has taken some pretty good underwater pictures and video with it. It is not a DSLR, but for a point and shot digital, it does a great job.

Summer08bride, Great cake BTW!!! Have you used the 59.00 camera yet??? If so how did the pics come out??? What is the brand??? Thanks

http://www.ecamerafilms.com/Waterproof_Digital_Camera_p/dc1131.htm

that's the camera I got. I tried it out once in my apartment and it doesn't have nearly the same features of my old point and shoot (macro zoom, different lighting features, etc) and you can tell by looking at it that it's not the same quality, but it seems to take decent pictures if I hold it still. I didn't try uploading them to my computer yet (only viewed them on the 2" screen) and didn't test it underwater yet, but my friend who discovered the camera and bought it before I did said she tested it in the sink and it didn't leak.

We're sailing a week from Sunday so I will report back :) We bought a disposable from Target a few weeks earlier, and I might bring it along on the cruise just in case we're not happy with the way the digital pictures come out on our ports. If they are ok, we'll return the disposable when we get back. Keep in mind I wouldn't recommend this as your only camera... I have an old Canon point and shoot and hubby has a Nikon D80 so this would just be for excursions and other potentially wet situations.

I got a camera from Target.com.It takes film,but it has been great.I have 2 and have used them about 10 times.It has flash, flip up view and up to 75 ft for divers.It was only about $30.and has been worth every penny.I will be looking for a digital .I will never take a chance with my land cameras and a water case.I have a friend that has a camera shop and he told me that he gets about 10 camers a year that can't be repaired due to underwater cases.He told me that even the digital cards are trashed ,something about the salt water and the contacts.One man had used the same card under water and lost all the picks from his trip.He keeps trying to sell me one of his water cameras but I can't afford it and my house payment at the same time.

Keith, approx. what did you pay for that camera??

Summer08bride, Your mission if you choice to accept it is to use that camera underwater and get back to us and let us know how the pics turned out.

Thanks

we saw the camera bags in a local camera shop and looked up reviews on amazon and they were VERY mixed, enough to scare me. :(

They have custom housing for cameras but were very expensive (hundreds of dollars).

we were planning to just use disposable underwater cameras again but I hate those because you can't tell if your pictures came out ok, you have to pay to develop them, and you dont have digital images...

I stumbled across a cheap underwater digital camera online for $59 (12mp camera, underwater case, memory card, batteries, strap, etc) and while I knew the quality wouldnt be the best, as long as it was on par with the disposables it would be worth it to me and essentially pay for itself w/ developing costs. i'd rather be able to see our pictures instantly, upload them to my laptop w/out developing, and use a zoom.

it came in the mail, and yes -- its nowhere near my point and shoot (or DH's DSLR) but it looks like it will do the job. we're too afraid to ruin DH's nice camera, or even my point and shoot although we'd consider a water bag for mine ... I heard they fog up and that its hard to get a good picture so I wasn't convinced.

Do you know what kind of camera it is and/or the name of the website?

Awesome thread, gives me a chance to post some of my pics.

Anyway, before my trip last year I went searching for an underwater setup so I wouldn't have to risk my camera I use on land. I went with a Canon A570 and a Canon underwater housing. Got both new and shipped for $300 on amazon. Awesome setup. Very small and very easy to use. You might be able to still find setups of these online. If not I'd recommend the next in the series as it's proven to do a great job. It uses double A's which I find is the only con to it. Take video as well.

I have one of those bags and it still sits news in it's packaging. I just don't trust it. My case is rated to 130 feet. I've taken it down to 100 so far. I don't only use it for diving. I use it for snorkeling, backyard pool fun, water sports, anywhere I want a camera to record something in a possibly wet environment.

Here's some shots...

bass%202.jpg

blue%20sponge.jpg

honeycomb%20cowfish.jpg

spotted%20eel%203.jpg

spotted%20trunkfish.jpg

stoplight%20parrot%20rock%20beauty%20angel.jpg

BTW, I've used those disposable underwater cameras before and I don't like them because 1) they are film so I have no idea if I got the shot, 2) no screen to line the shot up with. Kinda cumbersome to try and peer through the tiny viewfinder, and 3) their rating. THey can go deep without compromising the case, however, the shallow rating is because of the shutter button. After about 13 feet the water pressure is enough to keep the button pressed so you can't take any shots. I dive down more than 13 feet normally when snorkeling so that was no good for me.

We purchased one of the waterproof camera bags last year, after using the disposables. I am not a fan of the disposables, have tried 3 different kinds and I don't think the pictures come out that well.

Took a chance w/the camera bag last year. Decided not to risk using the newer camera, so we used our old 6 megapixel Kodak. Trying to use the zoom on the lens was a pain. The lens would hit the bag and try to retract. I suppose moving up a size could help that. The other big issue was trying to use the buttons and the toggle to zoom. It was hard to do through a bag. We took it with us on a waverunner in Grand Caymen, and wound up ripping the bag. Just a small hole, the camera was OK but it didn't seem too durable to me.

A couple of ppl from our CC group had the Olympus waterproof cameras and they took great pictures. Will be picking up one before our cruise this year. We snorkel so depth isn't an issue for us.

Archived