Water Proof Camera Case???

holdon216

Great thread... I might buy one of those bags for my old digital camera on Amazon...they sell for $20 bucks...but they obviously aren't for diving. Still...if you are just using it for a single snorkeling trip...I think it would be worth it. I would probably use it as a disposable item though...

I also noticed that Cannon is coming out very shortly with an underwater camera (all weather camera) rated for 30ft. It is not bulky with the housing etc, at seems perfect for the adventurous type. It is also "freeze "resistant" For $300 it seems cheap enough to pretty much take anywhere...and not be burdened with the underwater housing. It would still only be good for rather shallow dives. I wouldn't depend on it if I actually went diving...although..it could probably handle deeper water.

I really like that Amazon deal for the underwater housing and camera though...because for divers...that seems like the cheapest option. The underwater housing for my current Camera sells for about $350...so I might as well get a new camera with the housing...

I just looked it up, and it is still there...price varies depending on what camera you want...

One thing I forgot to mention...is that the Cannon underwater camera will also offer an automatic "underwater" mode that will adjust the camera for much better underwater pictures.

On other Cameras...you will probably want to set those settings manually.

I bought a Fugi Z33 watrer proof camera last week in St. Thomas . I was considering the OLympus, but the Fugi was a better camera at a far better price.It was $199 for the camera , case ,and 2 -2GB SD cards. It is a 10MP camera and is loaded with features. Even movies with sound. It is the best point and shoot that I have ever had , and I can take it in the bathtub!

I use the Canon underwater case that's designed for my camera. I love it because I still have use of all the functions, the zoom, etc. The case itself is about the size of my first digital P&S, so it's not too bulky. I purchased mine on Amazon for quite a bit less than it would have been at a camera store or from Canon.

One thing I forgot to mention...is that the Cannon underwater camera will also offer an automatic "underwater" mode that will adjust the camera for much better underwater pictures.

On other Cameras...you will probably want to set those settings manually.

Many of the Canon cameras already have this underwater function however it's only useful for a shallow depth. After maybe 20 feet or so you really need to set the white balance manually to adjust for the blue light. Good for snorkeling, not really anything deeper than that.

We have the Olympus 850 SW that I bought last year. Used it underwater for the first time this past April on our cruise and thought did great. It's nice to have a P&S that you can use in any kind of weather.

2250199830105084289S600x600Q85.jpg

I found mine on eBay (brand new) much cheaper than what you could buy them at Wally World.

BTW, I've used those disposable underwater cameras before and I don't like them because 1) they are film so I have no idea if I got the shot, 2) no screen to line the shot up with. Kinda cumbersome to try and peer through the tiny viewfinder, and 3) their rating. THey can go deep without compromising the case, however, the shallow rating is because of the shutter button. After about 13 feet the water pressure is enough to keep the button pressed so you can't take any shots. I dive down more than 13 feet normally when snorkeling so that was no good for me.

Thanks for sharing your pictures!!!!!!

StinkyFeesh,

Thanks for posting those photos. We have a DSLR and an old under water film camera. I wanted to get a housing for the DSLR, but as others have said, way too expensive.

I bought the Cannon 770 and housing for ~$300 on Amazon a few months ago. I have been very happy so far with the land photos from this little point and shoot, but now I see that the Canon also takes great underwater photos! That was my main complaint about our old underwater film camera - the photos always seemed washed out to me.

Is there such a thing??? I have a Fuji Digi camera. I am pretty sure i have read mention of water proof camera cases. In the past i have just used the disposable underwater cameras. They work great BTW.

BUT, if i can get a case to put my Fuji in and take it under water that would be great. Is there such a thing,and has anyone ever ruined their camera by using it??? Thanks!!!

I use a Dry Pak brand waterproof bag to carry my items in the ocean. This company makes many types of bags such as those for gear, cell phones, multi-purpose, etc. I believe mine is waterproof (not water resistant) to 12 feet underwater. I put my wallet, passport, camera, and other valuables in it. It has performed well for me. No leaks. Here is a picture of the one I have. If you Google "Dry Pak" you can easily find lots of different ones. I didn't buy mine from them, but it is a good picture and they have many others. I searched online until I found the one I wanted, and then comparison shopped it to get the best price. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebags.com/dry_pak/multi_purpose_waterproof_nylon_case_12x16x4/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=124474&productid=1322695

My camera/case is the Canon 880 IS. The nice thing about having the case is that you don't have to worry about the camera being damaged by using it in the rain, on the beach, etc. I ruined my last camera by taking it outside without protection when we had a rare snow"storm" here in Houston in December.

Here are a couple underwater shots from our cruise in March:

2892374100064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2993741140064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

StinkyFeesh,

Thanks for posting those photos. We have a DSLR and an old under water film camera. I wanted to get a housing for the DSLR, but as others have said, way too expensive.

I bought the Cannon 770 and housing for ~$300 on Amazon a few months ago. I have been very happy so far with the land photos from this little point and shoot, but now I see that the Canon also takes great underwater photos! That was my main complaint about our old underwater film camera - the photos always seemed washed out to me.

Yes they are excellent little cameras. Very surprising for the size as the camera would fit in my pocket easily. You do have to manually adjust the white balance at depth for the pictures to come out nice and clear without any blue hue. What I do is simply find a small sandy spot on the bottom when diving and use that as the white. I also add a small dessicant pack to the housing when I am going deep to keep condensation from forming on the inside of the housing.

• 3 weeks later...

We bought the $59 digital camera with waterproof housing and 1 gb memory card. We paid $18 for 3 day shipping and it arrived the day before our cruise (last minute decision!). The photos came out great. We swam with the dolphins so it was money well spent. We didn't use the movie feature because we were too excited by the dolphins to mess with the camera. it is ecamerafilms website. It is mentioned in an earlier post.

Is there such a thing??? I have a Fuji Digi camera. I am pretty sure i have read mention of water proof camera cases. In the past i have just used the disposable underwater cameras. They work great BTW.

BUT, if i can get a case to put my Fuji in and take it under water that would be great. Is there such a thing,and has anyone ever ruined their camera by using it??? Thanks!!!

Absolutely, more or less. Which model? Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-Fujifilm-WP-FXF200-Underwater-Housing/dp/B001TK3BAQ

There is minor maintenance required.

My experience is with Canons, but I assume similar.

Check the gasket for nicks, dirt, sand, etc. Replace the gasket periodically - depends on use but once a year or so.

LIGHTLY apply silicon grease to the gasket before each use. Check it for leaks before you use it. Put the camera in the case and close it while in an air conditioned environment before going out if a humid environment. During use, if the inside of the case is fogging up, there is a good chance there is a leak.

Buy a program such as Adobe Photoshop Elements (not the full blown photoshop) to fix the colors for you.

enjoy.

Keith, approx. what did you pay for that camera??

Olympus has 2 different types of under water cameras. Buying from a store will range from 170-400.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp

Pentax makes one that goes for 299 optio w60

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/

I was gonna buy the Pentax because it got a bit better reviews than Olympus, but that camera doesn't have a lens cover which made me nervous.

There are a few other brands out there, and some manufactures are now even selling small water proof camcorders.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-E1-Waterproof-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000QSNQ9S saw this one for 299 in Walmart.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/camcorders/review/2008/07/19/Panasonic-SDR-SW20-Waterproof-Camcorder/p1 This one was a bit cheaper but only found it a Meijers. Looked kinda cheaply made

I actually didn't end up buying either water proof camera. When with a Sony ultra zoom.

Bags are fine for shallow water. Do not take them more than about 10 ft. deep or the pressure will start to squeeze the camera. You'll likely break the zoom and/or focus motors. A little deeper and the LCD screen will go. Bags should only be used at the surface or just below. If you want to go deeper, use a housing.

Keith, approx. what did you pay for that camera??

Summer08bride, Your mission if you choice to accept it is to use that camera underwater and get back to us and let us know how the pics turned out.

Thanks

we used it!

waterproof ability ---- A+ (no leaks, floats easily, comfy waterproof strap)

camera quality ---- C (functional but not the same quality pictures and special features as my real digital camera. pictures blur easily if you move the camera too much, although we didn't use the flash at all and that might have helped)

convenience ---- A- (camera case adds a lot of bulk, but it was nice being able to view the pictures, take as many as we wanted - it came with a 1gb memory card, view them on our laptop, not have to get them developed, pictures werent bad but not amazing -- I wouldn't use this for non-underwater activities)

we havent uploaded them yet but i can post some later if i remember

hope this helps

overall, i am happy with my purchase

We bought the $59 digital camera with waterproof housing and 1 gb memory card. We paid $18 for 3 day shipping and it arrived the day before our cruise (last minute decision!). The photos came out great. We swam with the dolphins so it was money well spent. We didn't use the movie feature because we were too excited by the dolphins to mess with the camera. it is ecamerafilms website. It is mentioned in an earlier post.

glad you liked it!!

Archived