New Orleans Tours

KandMGIn

I would also like to know this information, especially from locals. We will only have one full day in NO, and want to make the most of it. Any information about any tours or other activities would be great.

Thanks! :o

http://neworleansonline.com/tours-attractions/tours/

Being a native New Orleanian, I often suggest tours to my friends visiting the city. The link above will take you to the various tours that are offered. It will depend on what you're most interested in. The ghost tours in the Quarter are always fun and can be a teeny bit spine-chilling at night. The antebellum home tours in the Garden District show the most beautiful home of that era, and you can see a lot by taking the streetcar tours.

I can't recommend the swamp tours. I did at one time, but a coupla months ago, there was a fatal accident with one of the swamp tour boats, and I wouldn't recommend that any longer.

Having cruised, you may or may not want to do a riverboat cruise...but they are great (my daughter and I will do a lunch cruise on the 'Natchez' during Christmas week). They're 2-hours duration, and something I enjoy.

Going across the river to Mardi Gras World is a great way to spend a coupla hours. You can drive over, OR take the ferry from Canal St. (no charge for ferry). A 2-hour cooking class at New Orleans School of Cooking is another fun thing to do....and you get to sample cajun yummies!

IF you want to take a lunch break, go to Gumbo Shop - my personal favorite in the Quarter. It's on St. Peter's St. just to the left of St. Louis Cathedral on Jackson Square. Ask for a table in the courtyard.

Oh, and another fun way to spend about a half-day: The Aquarium of the Americas has a great deal - the aquarium (which is fantastic), a boat trip to the Audubon Zoo (love our zoo!), and back.

So much to do in such a short time. Wish y'all were staying longer. Enjoy our city!:) Any specific questions, I'll try to answer.

Great suggestions by Cotton!

I too am a native New Orleanian. I still live here. Here are some things I suggested to one of my soon-to-be fellow cruise mates:

If you haven't, of course take a stroll down Bourbon. It can be rowdy at night; more calm during the day.

Take a free ferry ride over to my historic neighborhood. We are really proud of our little community. www.algierspoint.org

While over here, you can take a tour through Mardi Gras World, where they build a lot of the Mardi Gras floats. www.mardigrasworld.com

If it's not too late, book a cooking class with my friend, Chef Richard Bond.

www.gumbos.net He's a lot of fun and a darn good chef.

My favorite seafood restaurant is Deanie's Seafood on Iberville.

Have fun. Eat a lot! Our food is delicious!

I would not book a "tour". Instead see the area on your own according to YOUR interests. Taking a walking tour of the French Quarter is very worthwhile and free with the National Park service. Plan carefully your evening entertainment- just plenty of excellent options- research fully for the right choices. I have gotten to really like the Frenchman st. location for excellent music, but Preservation Hall is a must do if you haven't. :) I recently saw Ellis Marcellus and Charmane Neville with her father Charles at Snug Harbor. Cover charges but no costly drink min.s. This is where the locals go. :)

I would not book a "tour". Instead see the area on your own according to YOUR interests. Taking a walking tour of the French Quarter is very worthwhile and free with the National Park service. Plan carefully your evening entertainment- just plenty of excellent options- research fully for the right choices. I have gotten to really like the Frenchman st. location for excellent music, but Preservation Hall is a must do if you haven't. :) I recently saw Ellis Marcellus and Charmane Neville with her father Charles at Snug Harbor. Cover charges but no costly drink min.s. This is where the locals go. :)

Where do you find the National Park service rangers........do you have to sign up in advance for their tours?

Where do you find the National Park service rangers........do you have to sign up in advance for their tours?

French Quarter Visitor Center: The history and cultural diversity of Louisiana's Mississippi Delta region are presented in an overview of the region. Located at 419 Decatur Street in the French Quarter. Call (504) 589-2636 for further information. The center is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Closed December 25th and Mardi Gras.

Ranger-guided Interpretive Program :

9:30 a.m. History of New Orleans walking tour : This tour through the French Quarter involves one mile of walking and provides an overview of the historical events and the ethnic and cultural diversity that have combined to create present-day New Orleans, unique among American cities. Relive the history of New Orleans from its humble beginnings as a small outpost of French rule in the North American wilderness. 25-person limit, first-come, first-served. Passes limited to one per person, must be picked up in person on the day of the tour.

11:30 a.m. History of New Orleans Stroll: This 45-minute ranger led lesson in local history visits the Mississippi River and Jackson Square. Beginning at 9:00 a.m., 25 free tickets available on a first-come, first served basis; each person wanting a ticket must be present.

Archived