Running track on Sapphire...

Before I get flamed for working out on a cruise (HA!), let me start by saying I am *not* a runner...yet somehow I am running a marathon in a few short months and can't avoid training for the week of my cruise...especially with the amazing cruise food I've been dreaming about! :-(

Does anyone know the distance around the running track on Sapphire? As in - how many times around is a mile...? And is it generally private, or does it wind around cabin windows? Is the area generally pretty busy? And last - I'm assuming it's an outdoor track (from what I can tell but I could be wrong!), so should I assume for this Alaska cruise that I'm going to be a popsicle when I'm done each morning?! :-)

Thank you thank you!

Does anyone know the distance around the running track on Sapphire? As in - how many times around is a mile...? And is it generally private, or does it wind around cabin windows? Is the area generally pretty busy? And last - I'm assuming it's an outdoor track (from what I can tell but I could be wrong!), so should I assume for this Alaska cruise that I'm going to be a popsicle when I'm done each morning?! :-)

Thank you thank you!

i don't remember how many times around is a mile, but i do remember thinking its a lot more than i would have guessed!

it does not go past cabin windows.

i have never seen it busy. there are people around but its never crowded.

and yes, its an outdoor track. have a nice warm shower after, and good luck in your marathon.

Before I get flamed for working out on a cruise (HA!), let me start by saying I am *not* a runner...yet somehow I am running a marathon in a few short months and can't avoid training for the week of my cruise...especially with the amazing cruise food I've been dreaming about! :-(

Thank you thank you!

I am pretty sure it was 4. I was able to do 4 laps in the time it would take me to do my regular mile walk. By the end of the cruise it was 3:p

Good luck!

I am on the Sapphire right now. I walk on the jogging track daily. It is 10 laps around the jogging track (Sun Deck 15 not the promenade) for each mile. The jogging deck is actuallly above the Lotus Spa and it circles the tennis court. One thing you should note: there are signs all around the track stating that the "jogging track is not to be used for jogging from 8am to 8pm daily." Yup. I guess it's really a walking track.

I have encountered joggers ignoring those signs daily. And no one seems to mind. We slow pokes just move to the right and sigh...

The jogging/walking track is 10 times around per mile. The Promenade deck is 3 timers around per mile. On windy or cooler days, we found the jogging track more protected & warmer.

Thanks for the replies!! I'm confused though. I thought the jogging track was on the sports deck (16) - not the sun deck?

There's really a sign for no jogging on the actual jogging track?! Wow - looks like I'm in for some early mornings! Grrrrrr... :-)

Thanks again!

The jogging/walking track is 10 times around per mile. The Promenade deck is 3 timers around per mile. On windy or cooler days, we found the jogging track more protected & warmer.

The promenade deck - basically just jogging around the outside ring of the ship, is that right? That's allowed...no getting in trouble for jogging? :-)

Thank you thank you!

Hello....

The promenade deck is 3 times around for a mile and deck 15 or 16 (I forgot exactly which deck) 10 times around for a mile. Just got off last week. Trust me :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you thank you!

For all intents and purpose, the so-called running track on the Sapphire Princess is not useable between the hours of 8.00 am to 8.oo pm. You can walk but not run. There are 2 permanent signs afixed to the wall and 2 stantions stating this restriction. It is in fact 10 laps to 1 mile. I don't understand how the sister ships like the Golden Princess have no restriction and the Sapphire does. Apparently the SPA complained about the noise. Funny thing is that the Tennis court is permitted to operate and it doesn't have any floor covering at all. The alternative they advertise is to use the Lido deck but this was also closed to running due to maintenance issues and it is a hard deck as opposed to the soft cushioned deck of the running track.

Looks like I'm in for some late-night runs! :-) So bizarre about the hours - I mean, I understand it, but just like someone's peaceful mani-pedi is important to them, a morning run is important to me. Oh well - to each their own. Thanks for the information everyone!

It is odd that they would not allow jogging but use of the tennis courts was okay? We have been in the thermal area of the spa when it felt like ceiling was going to come crashing down. I am not sure if that area is right below the tennis courts or what but at time the noise and shaking was so bad it drove us out of there. It was really poor planning to put the spa directly below the sports area.

Looks like I'm in for some late-night runs! :-) So bizarre about the hours - I mean, I understand it, but just like someone's peaceful mani-pedi is important to them, a morning run is important to me. Oh well - to each their own. Thanks for the information everyone!

I understand your frustration on training for a Marathon while going on a cruise.

I got up early and used the outside track and Promenade deck in training. Then I moved into the fitness room and finish on the treadmill (adhering to the 30 min. rule)and then did some cross training. It all depends where you are in your schedule.

Enjoy your cruise you will be able to fit it all in and have a great time.

Why don't you just use the promenade deck? I used to be a 10k road runner

also competed in my younger days.I still do 3 miles every sea day after breakfast walking on promenade deck there is no objection to jogging there...as long as you follow the rules anticlockwise:D.You also get hill exercise because you have steps to upper deck and back down at fore of ship.

Gee it would just drive me nuts circling a small track 10 times to reach one mile.

The promenade will prepare you better than the smaller padded track..:)

I like Wine's suggestion. I will be cruising the week after I finish my first Tri and I was hoping to keep the momentum of running and swimming.

I like the idea of the Promenade deck - I forgot you can jog as long as it counter clockwise...perfect solution as my mom will be walking at the same time :rolleyes: Maybe then she won't nag about the cocktail before dinner:D

I like Wine's suggestion. I will be cruising the week after I finish my first Tri and I was hoping to keep the momentum of running and swimming.

I like the idea of the Promenade deck - I forgot you can jog as long as it counter clockwise...perfect solution as my mom will be walking at the same time :rolleyes: Maybe then she won't nag about the cocktail before dinner:D

I always know the newbies to cruising they are walking 'Clockwise':D

The only problem with this is if a serious jogger comes round the blind corner'Aft' there may be a collision.:eek: Its much better for health and safely if joggers and we walkers like myself are going in the same direction.

I did observe The Diamond' doesnot have the notice up with an arrow pointing to the counter anti clockwise direction that some ships have.

If it were me doing the last few weeks of mara training, I'd be very tempted to use the treadmill rather than the track. I can't imagine doing a long run (if you have one scheduled while you're away) on a ship's jogging track :p

If it were me doing the last few weeks of mara training, I'd be very tempted to use the treadmill rather than the track. I can't imagine doing a long run (if you have one scheduled while you're away) on a ship's jogging track :p

I would agree on the long run not a good idea. I was more into long workout time keeping the heart rate going.

If you want a long run you can do it in port if you know they lay of the land.

The Promenade can get very busy with people unless you run very early. If it gets to crowded then I just walk fast alway counter clock direction unless posted other wise.

Good topic from the OP and great discussion all.

I would agree on the long run not a good idea. I was more into long workout time keeping the heart rate going.

If you want a long run you can do it in port if you know they lay of the land.

The Promenade can get very busy with people unless you run very early. If it gets to crowded then I just walk fast alway counter clock direction unless posted other wise.

Good topic from the OP and great discussion all.

I have never found it gets too overcrowded.Its the clockwise ones that one has to watch for. After all it is jogging so one can puts on the breaks:DCould not imagine a sprinter they belong on the track upstairs.;)

Archived