The Fashion Show

I had NO idea what a "b girl" was. My DD (13YO) knew what it was but indicated that in her middle school and on her bus (where there are also high schoolers) NO ONE is a "b girl". Living in the upper midwest, we've got skater-chics, jocks, nerds, band geeks, goths, etc. We listen to popular music, including hip-hop, but don't follow the hip-hop life style.

I don't blame the designer who got kicked off for being uncomfortable with this style and was offended by the coastie-centric mentality that it should have been easy and that everyone knows that style.

Since these are designers and should be in know as to fashion trends, she should have been a bit better prepared, but the attitude of the judges on the topic really turned me off.

I don't blame the designer who got kicked off for being uncomfortable with this style and was offended by the coastie-centric mentality that it should have been easy and that everyone knows that style.

Since these are designers and should be in know as to fashion trends, she should have been a bit better prepared, but the attitude of the judges on the topic really turned me off.

I totally agree! And the thing is that...

I'm a "coastie-centric" person - BiCoastal in fact...

And there are plenty of girls who would have loved and worn that outfit (totally in fashion forward B Girl style for them) in

Fox Hills, Baldwin Hills, Brooklyn, Chicago Southside, etc.

Stupid judges on this one, totally got it all wrong!

And Kelly Rowland should be ashamed of herself! She should know better!

But she (and the rest of Destiny's Child) were never knowledgeable about street fashion at all anyway...

PS There are tons of Southern California Snowboarder girls, who would have bought that vest in two seconds for SoCal warm weather skiing/boarding as well!

How on earth could they choose that look to lose when they had a choice of that ridiculous Jock look?

I guess my Oregon Girl is coming through this week .. because I totally WANT the Tree-hugger design. I am not a fan of Danielle the designer but I have to say I have liked more of her designs than anyone elses.

Oh .. and if one needs to dress like that I could never be a Mean Girl.

I totally agree! And the thing is that...

I'm a "coastie-centric" person - BiCoastal in fact...

And there are plenty of girls who would have loved and worn that outfit (totally in fashion forward B Girl style for them) in

Fox Hills, Baldwin Hills, Brooklyn, Chicago Southside, etc.

Stupid judges on this one, totally got it all wrong!

And Kelly Rowland should be ashamed of herself! She should know better!

But she (and the rest of Destiny's Child) were never knowledgeable about street fashion at all anyway...

PS There are tons of Southern California Snowboarder girls, who would have bought that vest in two seconds for SoCal warm weather skiing/boarding as well!

This challange this week really ticked me off, because I think that the judges were so inappropriate, and Kelly made racist remarks to Angel for not knowing what a B-girl was.

Frankly, I don't know who Kelly is or what her claim to fame is, but I do know that she's been a loser for this show since day one and should be gotten rid of. She adds nothing and brings the whole show down a notch.

It's also a HUGE mistake not to have a Tim Gunn type to help the designers out. When Isaac and Kelly made the rounds in the studio they totally upset Merlin, and instead of giving helpful suggestions, they totally shook his confidence. Then they walk away and in private say all the things they should have said to him. What good is that? How stupid!

Personally, I don't like Merlin, but I'm really happy that he won, because what Isaac and Kelly did do him in the design room was totally inappropriate.

I think the judges picked the wrong loser and it should have been Johnny to go. His outfit was the least successful for the challenge and his attitude is horrible. Angel has a good sense of design, and she cares. You can't fault someone who doesn't have a concept of the social group they're designing for, nor the time alloted to do any research. Angel was totally in the dark and the judges beat her up because she wasn't exposed to these kinds of girls in school. Maybe she grew up without a TV? Studied classical music and ballet? That she doesn't know what constitutes as a hip-hop style for a "B-girl" and didn't have the time to find out shouldn't be her downfall. The outfit was kind of cute, the vest was adorable, and even the judges admitted they liked it. The big criticism was that she should have known that a "BGirl" wouldn't wear pants made of that fabric. Sheesh!

She got short-changed big time!

Reco's dress was way too short, I was suprised at him. He usually thinks things through better. Also, white was a poor choice of color for this since it does make it look either bridal or like lingerie. Had it been a color such as red or purple and a few inches longer, it would have been a winner. The tartan vest over the diaphonous dress was tres adorable!

I loved Danielle's tree-hugger outfit, and liked Anna's Goths (I'd so wear that).

I think that overall, all the designers did a good job this week.

:confused: Well, I had TWO "Huh??" moments with this episode. First of all, we had a pretty big storm during the time my DVR was recording the show and the DirectTv went out for a few minutes, so when I started watching the show later that night (after the storm was gone), the recording started with two hours left on Day One. So I didn't get to see the "set-up". Second, I also did not know what a B-Girl was and even after listening to the judges talk about them, I STILL don't know. I also thought they were really harsh on Angel and, while I didn't personally like her outfit, I didn't think it was that bad. Daniella's scarf thing on the treehugger outfit was very cool and the Goth and Mean Girl outfits were perfect. I have thought Reco was very funny up to this episode but in this one, I thought he went way overboard with all his dissing the other designers. That's part of the deal, dude -- some weeks you're on the stage and some weeks you aren't.

Oooooh......

There's gonna be a catfight tonight!!!:eek:

Daniella and Rico paired up again.....:p:D:p

At this point in the competition, I don't know that there is ANYONE who could be paired with Reco without major issues. The producers will keep him on no matter what he does simply for entertainment value if for nothing else (his ideas are "good enough" but it has been his flawless execution of them that has gotten him this far pretty much unscathed). He's at a critical point however, if he doesn't check his attitude, it will get him into trouble now that the "low hanging" fruit has all been picked.

I think Merlin and Johnny woulda/shoulda won it..... maybe Johnny's "felt" coat was the deciding factor?

Although I do admit Haven's culottes were very cute. I wish they had shown a clearer shot of Anna's coat -- they went on and on about the back of it but I could never really see what they were talking about.

Also, maybe Haven's/Anna's outfit was easier to reproduce and sell...

I think they sent the right person home last night. Although in the bigger picture, it kind of kills me that Johnny, who can barely sew, is still there while Lidia, who had some pretty great skills, is not.

I though the mess that James-Paul and Lidia came up with could have justified a double elimination. I can't see myself in the Merlin-Johnny outfit although I did think it was really interesting. I would wear either of the other.

Rico is annoying and getting worse each week. Who else could they pair him up with .. at least Daniella can hold her own with him and let the insults roll off. I do think though, that at this point they should let each designer stand on their own and not have to rely on the other member of the team. Johnny for instance would not have the crutch of Lidia's sewing skills to lean on.

KLLund,

Thanks for posting the winning outfit and the imposter posing to be that outfit!

I've never bothered to look at the intrepretation, and while I understand that there has to be some changes made, this is barely recognizable as inspiration. It's awful looking.

How much are they trying to get for this frock?

I agree with judges this week. Lidia has sewing skills, but she's no designer - other than a very basic one. She's has a very moderate outlook, and could get a job in a moderate priced clothing company. She has very little fashion talent that's out of the ordinary.

KLLund,

Thanks for posting the winning outfit and the imposter posing to be that outfit!

I've never bothered to look at the intrepretation, and while I understand that there has to be some changes made, this is barely recognizable as inspiration. It's awful looking.

How much are they trying to get for this frock?

This is the first one that is that far off the mark. The jacket is $225 and the top and culottes are $95 each. But an interesting thing I found is that when you go to the online shopping page where all of the winning outfits are shown.. 6 out o 7 are basically black and the 7th is the tan raincoat. Don't these judges appreciate color ??

This is the first one that is that far off the mark. The jacket is $225 and the top and culottes are $95 each. But an interesting thing I found is that when you go to the online shopping page where all of the winning outfits are shown.. 6 out o 7 are basically black and the 7th is the tan raincoat. Don't these judges appreciate color ??

Only goes to show you that Isaac can scream "color, color color" all he wants. When you get down to it, black sells! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Anna

dda9da8f236f7e294a00b12f0bede21d.jpg

I would be pleased if she wins. I like her personality, her work ethic, and her designs seem to be original, but also could fit lots of women in lots of sizes.

I think that she has had several of her designs here that were in the Top Two or Three that should have been the winners...

Daniella

0b6243b7341f0e17780b6a10cbd7326d.jpg

While I think she is a talented designer...

Her negative personality is so off-putting to me I can't fully support her for the win.

I think she won challenges that she didn't deserve to win, and the editing is either for her to be the full total winner here - or she'll be the surprise upset 2nd or 3rd place.

I also can't see most of her designs working on different sizes, except models.

JamesPaul

84b71c8f4dc591c4776d083d0df492a6.jpg

I would also like to see him win.

His designs are original, interesting, and could work on women of several sizes and ages.

There is a unique vision, and signature that I could see working really well over time. It's almost a new modern version of folding and draping.

His personality and work ethic also add points for me.

Anna

dda9da8f236f7e294a00b12f0bede21d.jpg

I would be pleased if she wins. I like her personality, her work ethic, and her designs seem to be original, but also could fit lots of women in lots of sizes.

I think that she has had several of her designs here that were in the Top Two or Three that should have been the winners...

Wow, looking back over Anna's "season" shown here, I really agree that the collection she showed last night just seems to rework many of her pieces from the show. That said, I did like many of her individual looks better than anyone else's. (Loved the blue/green "rainbow" gown!)

I can see that Daniella would appeal to a younger group. I liked some of her designs, but I also think some were poorly made and/or ill-fitting. I notice Isaac called her out on the very thin models she chose...

I did not like Reco's collection. The tight, tight pencil skirts, cinched waists -- I don't think that's for real women. His bridal gown was so impractical that the model couldn't even walk in it! I think the judges made the right decision.

James Paul -- well, I have mixed feelings. I really loved the look of his collection (and it definitely was a "collection"). Even though I couldn't see myself wearing a lot of his pieces as shown, I do think he has the sort of look that, if simplified, could be very wearable. I remember one of the judges (Fern maybe?) saying that if he had shown a few of his tops with jeans, for example, it would have shown how wearable they could be. He has vision and talent. I think he might have been a better contestant for "Project Runway" than for this show, where the emphasis is more on wearable, popular fashion and less on high fashion.

Archived