What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

I would also never sail on the Ventura, reason, Cliff Richard singing summer holiday when it left St Petersburg with the cruise director shouting that the passengers on Queen Victoria are not enjoying this, to which we all replied "thank god":D quote]

Well that does not seem to be a very valid reason for not sailing on Ventura, we did not see Cliff Richard or the chef guy with the made up name when we were aboard. The reason we would not go anywhere near Ventura again is that we just did not like the experience at all for many different reasons. And it is good to have had the experience so we can comment from from that.

David.

It is not a valid reason if you like noise and Butlin holiday camp theatrics by the cruise director I would agree, but we don't. You gain experiences by what you see and hear, I have now seen Ventura and heard it and it was not to my liking. I have also spoken to friends who have sailed on Venture and what happened in St Petersburg appears to be the norm. Now based on that information we have made our decision. In a similar way, when contemplating the cruise on Artemis next January, I enquired on hear for other cruisers experiences and have received nothing but good comments on the ship, so we have booked. Cruising is not cheap so why not do a little reserach before parting with your money, when in port eye up the other ships with you etc.

I am amazed how many times this question of Dress Codes comes up on the various Cruise Forums.I understand people saying that they prefer Casual Dress.Then why on earth choose a Cruise which clearly states that there will a number of Formal Nights ? There is plenty of choice for Informal Cruising.Why hide yourself away in the Buffet when there is a Gala Dinner with all the trimmings available.This business of saying that the Buffet is open for the informal diner who chooses to ignore the Reccomended Code does not hold water if you read the P&O Brochure it clearly states That all Bars and Restuarants shall comply with the Recommended Code for that Evening.Its just that P&O do not bother to enforce it.PITY.For someone that forks out £2000/£3000 for a Cruise and cannot bother to pay £35 for a dinner suit or dress from Matalan is beyond me.

Is it a lack of manners or protocol ? I like nothing more than to see my wife dressed in her Finery and I cut a bit of a dash in my Tux.We are not wealthy people in fact just a couple of old pensioners who try like some of the best things in life a couple of times a year.Come on you Informal lot join in the spirit of Cruising .You never know you might just enjoy it.:o

Most of the enquiries have been to establish the extent of the dress code. Personally I would always follow the dress code of any ship and wouldn't dream of doing otherwise - it isn't my intention to undermine the overall ambience of any ship.

Some of us who prefer informal cruises don't need to fork out £35 for a Matalan dress (a change from the usual Asda recommendation but why does this keep coming up?) - we already have evening and cocktail dresses in the wardrobe. Also many of us have already tried formal cruises. However we choose informal cruises as we like a different product. I personally find comments such as this to be patronising. Just because we choose informal doesn't mean that we have never tried formal.

Whilst P and O remain formal I probably won't use them unless one of the itineraries was something special. In this instance I would join in and dine formally in all my finery (you would never be able to tell I was an informal cruiser in the dining room!).

Perhaps instead of being condescending to people who choose to cruise informally, people could understand that there is now many different types of cruise products to suit different tastes. I think many people would find Ocean Village a pleasant surprise if they were to just try it, however I wouldn't try to twist anyone's arm to do so as I know it wouldn't suit everyone. People ask questions so they can understand not to undermine anyone or to rebel against the system.

Please just give some credit to informal cruisers that they might actually understand what dressing for dinner is all about - many of us do it regularly, just not on holiday!

No doubt I'll once again get accused of having a chip on my shoulder but it seems the point isn't get across that the products are different and we should probably all stay off ships with different dress codes unless we are prepared to join in. I'm sure no one would disagree with that?:)

There must be more comments on Cruise Forums about Dress Code than any other subject.I understand that some people do not want to 'Dress Up'.Why on earth then book a Cruise which clearly states that there will be a number of Formal Nights.There are plenty of Informal Cruises available with Ocean Village and Island Cruises.Why hide away in the Buffet Restaurant when a Gala Dinner with all the trimmings is available.As for the idea that the Buffet is informal really does not hold water. If you read the P&O brochure it clearly states that ALL Bars and Restuarants shall comply with the Dress code of the Evening.It is just a pity that P&O do not enforce it.After spending £2000/£3000 on a Cruise why not spend another £35 for a dinner suit from Matalan and I'm sure a dress from M&S for the Mrs would not break the bank.I hope I do not sound a snob I am just a pensioner that a couple of times a year like to try the best . I love to see my wife dressed in her Sunday Best and I hope that I cut a bit of a dash.Come on you Informal Rebels join in the spirit of Cruising give 'Dressing Up' a go. You never know you might enjoy it.;)

It is just a pity that P&O do not enforce it.After spending £2000/£3000 on a Cruise why not spend another £35 for a dinner suit from Matalan and I'm sure a dress from M&S for the Mrs would not break the bank.I hope I do not sound a snob I am just a pensioner that a couple of times a year like to try the best . I love to see my wife dressed in her Sunday Best and I hope that I cut a bit of a dash.

Not in a suit from Matalan, you won't :D

Most of the enquiries have been to establish the extent of the dress code. Personally I would always follow the dress code of any ship and wouldn't dream of doing otherwise - it isn't my intention to undermine the overall ambience of any ship.

Some of us who prefer informal cruises don't need to fork out £35 for a Matalan dress (a change from the usual Asda recommendation but why does this keep coming up?) - we already have evening and cocktail dresses in the wardrobe. Also many of us have already tried formal cruises. However we choose informal cruises as we like a different product. I personally find comments such as this to be patronising. Just because we choose informal doesn't mean that we have never tried formal.

Whilst P and O remain formal I probably won't use them unless one of the itineraries was something special. In this instance I would join in and dine formally in all my finery (you would never be able to tell I was an informal cruiser in the dining room!).

Perhaps instead of being condescending to people who choose to cruise informally, people could understand that there is now many different types of cruise products to suit different tastes. I think many people would find Ocean Village a pleasant surprise if they were to just try it, however I wouldn't try to twist anyone's arm to do so as I know it wouldn't suit everyone. People ask questions so they can understand not to undermine anyone or to rebel against the system.

Please just give some credit to informal cruisers that they might actually understand what dressing for dinner is all about - many of us do it regularly, just not on holiday!

No doubt I'll once again get accused of having a chip on my shoulder but it seems the point isn't get across that the products are different and we should probably all stay off ships with different dress codes unless we are prepared to join in. I'm sure no one would disagree with that?:)

I think you have stated the case well. I personally like the formal side of things but would never say that it is either the correct or incorrect way to cruise, horses for courses and all that. My problem lies in cruiselines or maybe individual ships similar to that which I have already mentioned. Any ways, enjoy your cruising, I certainly do.

Apparently not, too busy making condesending comments and buying shares in Asda or Matalan before we all rush to buy our cheapo formal cruise clothing:D

Its You and the OV cruisers who make condesending comments... go through this thread again, there are more nasty comments by OV cruisers on here than p&o cruisers....

You have come across onto this P&O part of the site with the main aim of causing trouble , I am sorry your cruise line -Ocean Village is closing down, if you don't want to come to P&O fair enough, but its your choice and if the formal nights are not for you, go elsewhere... !

What you have failed to realise is that PO/Celebrety want to attract OV cruisers and our likely to make changes in order to do so, you squeeling go away we dont want you will not change that,

brillo

What you have failed to realise is that PO/Celebrety want to attract OV cruisers and our likely to make changes in order to do so, you squeeling go away we dont want you will not change that,

brillo

It is obvious P & O and Celebrity will want to attract more passengers, but I think what you may not realise is that the OV style has failed so changes will not be made to the way these to cruise lines work to attract OV pax's Why would they change to a failed system?

I'm amazed this thread hasn't been bumped and shut down.

To put my penny's worth, although I haven't been on OV, I can see why people enjoy it. Some people don't like the hassle of shirt, ties, suits, or for ladies to be dressed up to the nines. For all we know they may be in professions where they have to dress up all the time and would like a break. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a chav liner.

I think there is still an element of class through all the cruise liners, and some people like P&O/Cunard for the throwback romance of being able to dress up for dinner. I did feel on our cruise on Ventura that the dress sense was two extremes, formal or smart casual. Would have been nice to have a few informals as well.

I don't think you have to spend a huge amount to dress up, I bought a tux from M&S which is fine, a few shirts and sets of cufflinks for the formal evenings. For the wife, as she likes cruising, she's got a small wardrobe of full length dresses she bought from a local shop. There is only one that we spent in excess of £100 for, but that was when she went on QM2 with her mother east-trans last year.

In the dress guide, the Formal guidelines for men were tux, bow-tie, etc, or suit, shirt tie, and for women, it was either full length dresses, or cocktail/party dresses. Either way, nearly all who went in for it scrubbed up alright.

It's difficult, because on the one side, you have people who may be insulted if they've made the effort to dress up, only to find people in the restaurant in t-shirt and jeans (not acceptable on smart casual nights in my view), but on the other side, people shouldn't feel pressured to have to be dressed up to the nines.

I feel that on said nights, instead of forcing people to go to a buffet restaurant meal, they could allocate one of the restaurants to those who don't want to dress up on the formal nights, so people don't receive a lower service..

At the end of the day, it's your cruise, and you should be entitled to enjoy it as much as you can.

Scrozuk

To put my penny's worth, although I haven't been on OV, I can see why people enjoy it. Some people don't like the hassle of shirt, ties, suits, or for ladies to be dressed up to the nines. For all we know they may be in professions where they have to dress up all the time and would like a break. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a chav liner.

scrozuk

Thank you for your very reasoned post. You have summed up exactly what OV is about. I am a professional in the financial sector who dresses up and dines out all the time for work. My full length evening dresses (have several for work functions) and cocktail dresses will always stay at home on holidays unless I decide to take a formal cruise due to a special itinerary. I would say that a good proportion of OV cruisers are people like myself who just prefer a different product. I suspect we are exactly the same as P and O people just with different cruise preferences. It is most definately not a chav ship - such a ship would never get my custom, especially as OV prices these days are generally higher than P ad O!

Ifound a lovely outfit today at a shop called roman in cheshire oaks near chester but they also have their own site .They have a really good sale on i paid less than half .I like to look nice when ever i go out and this skirt and top will do for either formal or semi formal/smart .Ialso have my eye on a long gown for b/w night .So you can look good without feeling over dressed .hope this helps ,val:D

Ifound a lovely outfit today at a shop called roman in cheshire oaks near chester but they also have their own site .They have a really good sale on i paid less than half .I like to look nice when ever i go out and this skirt and top will do for either formal or semi formal/smart .Ialso have my eye on a long gown for b/w night .So you can look good without feeling over dressed .hope this helps ,val:D

LibraLass

I hate to disagree but many on here have equated OV wth being a chav ship with all the usual disparaging stereotypes of tattoos, drunkenness, shaven heads, hairy armpits, lack of manners, Butlins, no etiquette, etc. Also many implications that we have never been introduced to the finer points in life with some kind offers to show us the way. Need I expand?

I also don't recall many casual cruisers saying they were coming over to P and O and would just ignore the dress code. The queries have all been around what comprises formal wear and where on the ship the dress code applies. I, and many of my ilk, would not dream of going against a dress code and spoiling the ambience of the ship - I'm being serious and not ironic here. No point in being uncomfortable whilst on holiday.

I honestly believe that most people did not previously realise that a dress code applied anywhere other than the restaurant and that if there was a buffet option then that might be another option for casual cruisers. A genuine misunderstanding, but nothing further to be read into it.

Novicecruisers

Would that be Roman Originals? I have one near me and agree that you can get some very good quality formal wear (including ball gowns and evening dresses if you have such an occasion on the horizon!) at very good prices.

An excellent place to shop for a formal cruise. I'll own up to having one or two items from there myself in the wardrobe.

It is obvious P & O and Celebrity will want to attract more passengers, but I think what you may not realise is that the OV style has failed so changes will not be made to the way these to cruise lines work to attract OV pax's Why would they change to a failed system?

Have to take you to task there - OV is profitable and has attracted a lot of people who are new to cruising, I am certain that Carnival PLC want these people to fill the cabins on P&O's big new build ships. Not convinced it will go as planned unless at least one ship is designated informal, we await the 2011 brochure with interest.

Have to take you to task there - OV is profitable and has attracted a lot of people who are new to cruising, I am certain that Carnival PLC want these people to fill the cabins on P&O's big new build ships. Not convinced it will go as planned unless at least one ship is designated informal, we await the 2011 brochure with interest.

So why are the ships being transfered to P & O Australia, all the news was that OV was not profitable.

But, I think you may be right about P & O ships becomming less formal at least one or two. My preferences, I will steer clear of them.

Just abit to end, anyone who feels uncomfrtable dressing up in suites or tuxes, try a larger size shirt. If clothes feel uncomfortable it is usually because they are the wrong size;)

Just abit to end, anyone who feels uncomfrtable dressing up in suites or tuxes, try a larger size shirt. If clothes feel uncomfortable it is usually because they are the wrong size

Totally off topic, but you have a point. On longer cruises I've always hung my clothes in order of fit. The snuggest go on the left and the loosest on the right ..... and I work my way along. By the end of the cruise, I've usually only got one or two things left I can wear with comfort :D

OK, so I said I wasn't going to post again but as the same questions are being iterated on a continuous loop here is a summary.

OV launched by P&O/Carnival UK to capture the emerging casual market within the British cruisers. OV was and is successful, if it wasn't making money then they (Carnival) would not have spent money rebranding a 2nd ship - OV2 to the fleet just 24months ago!

The problem was both ships are 20 years old and not only have inefficient engine plants but also lack some of the onboard ents which are standard across other ships/fleets that would attract families whether that be 10-pin bowling, movies under the stars, a rock climbing wall or whatever.. At the same time we had a boom in price of oil which reduced profits on inefficient ships/increased supplements.

They then looked at the alternatives, the buzz was to get another, newer, more efficient ship (maybe Grand Princess) or even a new build. However the budget was spent - Ventura and Azura were ordered for P&O for UK market. Extra Aida ships were ordered for the German market etc..

A decision was made to "offload" the "2" OV ships at the same time as "2" P&O ships announced mid brochure they were dropping semi-formal nights.

Zoom forward to the present and a letter gets sent out to OV passengers which, whilst it also included Cunard, Carnival (3 cruises from UK this year!) etc. led with P&O and that the closest match was the informal friendly P&O Ventura and Oceana, albeit they also had formal nights.

So some inquisitive OV folk decided to post on here, seeing a slightly related (non-OV) thread what if you don't like Formal wear? They are then pounced on as people who either "can't afford" or "are not willing to make an effort" or some other negative stereotype. Because they asked what options on an "adevrtised to be after 2010" an informal ship which still had formal nights.

As others have said I also believed that the dress code applied only to the Dining areas and not the whole ship but the mixed messages from friendly P&O- yes you can dine in the Buffet/hide in the cinema through to "you'd be glared at/not served/sent to jail - well back to your cabin" and that you'd spoil the night for others.

No mention of wearing non-formal in a formal dining room just elsewhere on the ship. Yes 99% or whatever figure was plucked out the air might adhere to the dress code but these are no doubt regular P&O passengers.

In the UK cruise market in the next 15months OV loses two ships, Island Cruises loses one ship and Thomson cruises also loses one ship.

Yes there are other ships however the current cruisers have become accustomed so:

• Mainly British fellow passengers and thus English language onboard
  • Paying onboard accounts in £ Sterling
  • Having a restaurant which serves traditional British meals
  • British -orientated entertainment programme
  • Having a UK style plug socket in the cabin
  • etc..

So the closest match is the P&O brand (they can also benefit from the loyality scheme after there first cruise by being credited points from OV cruises).

My experience is that OV passengers tend to be working professionals from all backgrounds but ultimately friendly and not "chavs/lager louts/etc.." outside the school holidays the average age onboard goes up to the 50s!

When Azura comes along the core P&O cruisers will become more diluted across the increased fleet size. P&O have to find extra passengers, there is a whole host of British cruisers from OV/Thomson/Island. Unless they tempt these onto the ships then they'll have no other choice but to reduce prices/standards and even start to do late deals on teletext/tabloid papers to fill empty berths then who knows who you might get onboard, some chavs/lager louts onboard, get a P&O cruise by collecting tokens in the Sun!:rolleyes:

As has been pointed out the average OV passenger probably pays more for his/her cruise than a P&O cruiser.

So if P&O customers are passionate about their brand then they can stomp and shout and fire insults on these boards but they would be better focused towards Carnival UK/P&O to clarify the brands future or campaign to have these two ships re-branded. Either way something has to change unless you all start doubling up the number of cruises you take each year to fill the extra berths.

Personally I go on holiday to relax and not to dress up and pretend I'm at work or out entertaining customers (when I dress up) so I'll avoid Ventura until it's clarified what happens on formal nights.

Craig, is it possible that the dropping of the semi-formal evenings on Oceana and Ventura IS the compromise on offer. It appears that a proportion of P&O passengers were very against this but will probably stick to the other ships in the fleet. All that is left now is 4 formal evenings (which are very well supported).

If that is the case then P&O have already stretched out the olive branch and maybe a bit of compromise is required in the other direction. I really don't think 4 out of 14 nights is excessive espeically since there are already alternative dining areas if you do not wish to partake.

Can I also reject your idea of 'british food', on a cruise I want much more variety and the opportunity to try things I would not normally try. That to me was one of the downsides with OV, lower quality and unadventuous food on offer.

I really don't think 4 out of 14 nights is excessive espeically since there are already alternative dining areas if you do not wish to partake.

Perhaps not excessive, but I don't think that "partaking" is optional. Whichever dining areas one chooses, the dress of the day is expected. It seems that many posters have thought that formal dress applies only to the formal dining rooms, but this is not the case - the dress code applies to the whole ship ........ no sneaking off quietly for a quick pizza when under-dressed ;)

Archived