What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

Perhaps not excessive, but I don't think that "partaking" is optional. Whichever dining areas one chooses, the dress of the day is expected. It seems that many posters have thought that formal dress applies only to the formal dining rooms, but this is not the case - the dress code applies to the whole ship ........ no sneaking off quietly for a quick pizza when under-dressed ;)
cottonbuddas, I am not convinced you are right there (although I accept I could be the one that is wrong). My understanding is that the buffet restaurant does not have a dress code and that (some of) the bars do not require adherence to the dress code either. On Oceana I have also seen a very small number of people (probably 5 or 6) in the main show lounges dressed 'smart casual' (looking at how their partners were dressed I think they may have changed after the meal into something 'more comfortable' .. which I thought was a bit disrespectful to their partners, but if they didn't mind why should I).

I think however the rules on Oceana/Ventura are more relaxed than those on the other P&O ships (i.e. maybe they are more strict).

On Oceana I have also seen a very small number of people (probably 5 or 6) in the main show lounges dressed 'smart casual' (looking at how their partners were dressed I think they may have changed after the meal into something 'more comfortable' .. which I thought was a bit disrespectful to their partners, but if they didn't mind why should I).

I think however the rules on Oceana/Ventura are more relaxed than those on the other P&O ships (i.e. maybe they are more strict).

:D And you naturally want to feel comfortable to relax on holiday especially after a big dinner.

I agree that they might have given the "olive branch" in dropping semi-formal nights but then these are not included in any Fly-Caribbean cruises?

How well does a Tux survive in a suitcase on a flight anyway? Last time I hired mine in the states when I was best man over there (you get much better fits and no you can't see the photo as I look awful!)

It still doesn't alter the fact that P&O still do formal dinners & if people don't want that then don't book them. NOW....I was watching a cruise TV programme today & Oceana was advertised as ''informal & fun,'' this is misleading & I can see how people would be confused over the dress expectations.

We have been on OV & loved it, in fact the "upstairs'' restaurant (plantation?) served a good variety of food ..Indian/Asian/ Indonesian/Chinese & there was a choice of Bistro & La Luna as well.

On all the P&O ships I have been on the "rule" is dress code after 6pm & applies to all bars & restaurants.....BUT in reality it seems they don't uphold this & it has become accepted to dress casually, certainly in the self serve & people have been advised this by P&O & published the e-mail on P&O forum. My personal view is if it is a formal night join in with the theme, it is after all only 4 nights out of 14 on the less formal ships.

cottonbuddas, I am not convinced you are right there (although I accept I could be the one that is wrong). My understanding is that the buffet restaurant does not have a dress code and that (some of) the bars do not require adherence to the dress code either. On Oceana I have also seen a very small number of people (probably 5 or 6) in the main show lounges dressed 'smart casual' (looking at how their partners were dressed I think they may have changed after the meal into something 'more comfortable' .. which I thought was a bit disrespectful to their partners, but if they didn't mind why should I).

When we started cruising, it stated quite clearly that the dress code of the day was for all the ship and for the whole evening. This was in the Aurora Today or equivalent. Now in the last few years this wording has not been there. However it was not replaced by anything else.

Within the last few months I have seen reference to this wording again, quoted on these and other boards. I suspect because of pressure from cruisers.

A previous poster quieried the 99% figure for complience, well I posted that and it comes from the fact that when you are waiting to go for dinner the first sitting walk past and you can see the second sitting going in and it is very unusual to see any one not dressed in DJ's or darksuits. Later in the evening it is the same, however jackets come off and bow ties are lost but I have never seen 20 people dressed casually, nor indeed 10 which would form the 1%.

I only make this as an observation and not as a way of telling people what they should wear.

The thread started by someone asking if it would be OK not to wear formal and still go about the ship. Well the answer of course is yes you can, you cab wear what you like but the rest of the ship will be formally dressed and would you be comfortable with that.

If so fine.

Anyway there may be light at the end of the tunnel if the other thread is correct and Carnival is looking to build 2 more P&O ships of 126,000 tons.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Yes we all felt quite comfortable not dressing up. We didnt wear jeans and t shirts .Trousers and shirt for the men, and skirt and top for us women. If the Men could have hired a Tux as they did on Royal Caribbean they probably would have done, but as P & O dont offer that service we didn't bother.

Yes we all felt quite comfortable not dressing up. We didnt wear jeans and t shirts .Trousers and shirt for the men, and skirt and top for us women. If the Men could have hired a Tux as they did on Royal Caribbean they probably would have done, but as P & O dont offer that service we didn't bother.

But you did dress up. What you wore would fit P&O dress code.

Dai

why would anyone hire a formal dress suit(tux) /tie and shirt when you can buy it all for nearly the same price and take on all your cruises thereafter?:confused:

On our 1st cruise , we booked pando, understood the dress code, and bought a tux, as it happened we became addicted and this tux has been worn quite a few times by the other half in the 7 cruises since and will be in the 2 more to come this year.

why would anyone hire a formal dress suit(tux) /tie and shirt when you can buy it all for nearly the same price and take on all your cruises thereafter?:confused:

On our 1st cruise , we booked pando, understood the dress code, and bought a tux, as it happened we became addicted and this tux has been worn quite a few times by the other half in the 7 cruises since and will be in the 2 more to come this year.

There's a couple of instances why someone might hire a tux. Firstly, you could find that there's a bit of a malfunction on the suit, which is not reparable in the time, but you still need a tux.

Secondly, you might be a passenger going onboard, and in the case of someone I met on a cruise, when they arrived at London Heathrow, the baggage handlers had lost his suits (and his wife's dresses). That I might add is mighty frustrating.

But yeah, I do agree with you that it's better to have your own suit/dress where you can. Wife's just managed to pick herself a nice new red dress, and no doubt we'll be going to Tiffany's dress store in Southampton before November.

Scrozuk

It is possible to purchase tux from £40 -£100 and to hire a tux , shirt and tie would probably be just short of of that. Debenhams hire formal wear and I asked for a quote once before 1st cruise, - not worth it.

Usually, I prefer to wait until M&S have a sale on, then go in and get the suit.

Have both a tux suit and a normal suit, which I know I'll be getting to use again in the future, as I know the wife will only like to go cruising for holidays.

Will admit though, that I have shelled out quite a bit on the shirts though, but need to marry that up with more of a range of bow ties and cumerbunds (sp). Cufflinks, have a nice range of though held back on buying some KGB ones (£15 for the set, didn't feel like they were worth that!).

I reckon, a chap could get tux'ed out for about £150-£180, but then it would last you ages and because of the classic cut, is timeless.

Ladies on the other hand, are a different story. I think the wife's got something in the region of 8-10 full length formal dresses, and not even going to count the other dresses she has. Just don't ask about shoes!!

So, when you consider this, building a wardrobe for doing a cruise can be expensive, and could put some people off, but if you are serious about doing cruising, then the initial investment of decent clothes does pay off in the end.

Scrozuk

Usually, I prefer to wait until M&S have a sale on, then go in and get the suit.

Have both a tux suit and a normal suit, which I know I'll be getting to use again in the future, as I know the wife will only like to go cruising for holidays.

Will admit though, that I have shelled out quite a bit on the shirts though, but need to marry that up with more of a range of bow ties and cumerbunds (sp). Cufflinks, have a nice range of though held back on buying some KGB ones (£15 for the set, didn't feel like they were worth that!).

I reckon, a chap could get tux'ed out for about £150-£180, but then it would last you ages and because of the classic cut, is timeless.

Ladies on the other hand, are a different story. I think the wife's got something in the region of 8-10 full length formal dresses, and not even going to count the other dresses she has. Just don't ask about shoes!!

So, when you consider this, building a wardrobe for doing a cruise can be expensive, and could put some people off, but if you are serious about doing cruising, then the initial investment of decent clothes does pay off in the end.

Scrozuk

There's no need to spend that much, I guess your not serious about cufflinks, cumerbunds, and a range of bowties. A tux would only last ages if your shape and size doesn't alter which it does once you get older. I also don't understand the expression " serious about doing cruising " I thought we talking about holidays and days of leisure.

I took "serious about cruising" as an expression of intent ie-''going for it ''

Never understood what the point of a cummerbund is....cover your belly maybe...on the subject of bellies anyone seen a dinner shirt that doesn't button all the way, so you put it over your head & the bottom bit doesn't "gap" between buttons as the cruise goes on?

Fred is a lady is she not?

''We are a family of four going on our first ever cruise on Ventura this July. We are really looking forward to it but ..... , neither my husband or I enjoy "dressing up" and don't have any clothes that would meet the dress code for the formal evenings.''

My view, for what its worth, is, take a nice dress with you on the cruise , get hubbie to take a normal suit - presume he has a weddings/interviews and funerals suit in the wardrobe, and enjoy the formal night, the wonderful 4-5 course gala meal served by waiters in the main restaurant where you will be served lobster or beef wellington for example,you will have TEN nights out of 14 to dress smart casual, surely 2 nights a week isn't too much of a hardship?

This is what the website says:

Formal

This is the opportunity for ladies to wear formal evening wear such as an evening dress, smart trouser suit or a cocktail dress. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, otherwise a dark lounge/ business suit and tie or formal national dress is fine. (Applies to all ships.)

I think that you can take this as the answer. Remember that Marks and Sparks sell a dress suit for fifty pounds.

We are a family of four going on our first ever cruise on Ventura this July. We are really looking forward to it but ..... , neither my husband or I enjoy "dressing up" and don't have any clothes that would meet the dress code for the formal evenings.

I can see we are in the minority here and most cruisers love dressing up!

Is there going to be anywhere we can get food and spend the evening if we are not in formal dress? I am worried we are going to be trapped in our cabin for four evenings!

Wow very interesting thread with many different types of replies.

Well here is mine. If you like it wonderful, if not it is another opinion. Everyone has one.

The OP states that she is well aware of the formal nights they have on the cruise. They picked the cruise for other reasons, though. Although, relevant-these reasons do not apply to the dining room. They made the reservation and they should abide by the guidelines, period. Certainly one would not make a reservation at a world famous restaurant where celebrities dine and not follow the dress code guidelines. If you aren't going to follow the guidelines then another "restaurant" or "cruise" should have been selected. I heard the term "Ocean Village" tossed out. I have no idea what that is but anyway......

Go shopping and purchase some appropriate dress and enjoy your trip. Showing up underdressed to the dining room after the guidelines are clear and the fact you are aware of them is simply low class in my book and you will see it on the faces of your dining companions.

AT THE VERY LEAST-bring some formalwear. I don't mean a tux or anything like that, but stuff that fits the guidelines. At least try it out. If the experience is that traumatic for you after the first night the ship has room service. Enjoy your cruise.

Wow very interesting thread with many different types of replies.

Well here is mine. If you like it wonderful, if not it is another opinion. Everyone has one.

The OP states that she is well aware of the formal nights they have on the cruise. They picked the cruise for other reasons, though. Although, relevant-these reasons do not apply to the dining room. They made the reservation and they should abide by the guidelines, period. Certainly one would not make a reservation at a world famous restaurant where celebrities dine and not follow the dress code guidelines. If you aren't going to follow the guidelines then another "restaurant" or "cruise" should have been selected. I heard the term "Ocean Village" tossed out. I have no idea what that is but anyway......

Go shopping and purchase some appropriate dress and enjoy your trip. Showing up underdressed to the dining room after the guidelines are clear and the fact you are aware of them is simply low class in my book and you will see it on the faces of your dining companions.

AT THE VERY LEAST-bring some formalwear. I don't mean a tux or anything like that, but stuff that fits the guidelines. At least try it out. If the experience is that traumatic for you after the first night the ship has room service. Enjoy your cruise.

I think you need to re-read the thread as the OP was enquiring as to alternate venues onboard which didn't have a dress-code. I don't believe she had any intention to try and dine in a formal restaurant not wearing the formal outfit.

With work I've stayed at many 5-star hotels who have a dress code in the restaurant but also allow ordering of meals in the bar area. In the hotel you can walk around to your room/down to the spa/gym not wearing formal garb and the expectation is that on a cruise ship would be the same.

If Formal wear is required throughout the ship then why allow non-formal in the buffet, if the ship has a gym/cinema can you not walk the corridor to the location in smart casual clothes.

Craig

ofcourse you can walk along the ship back from gym on a formal night -I've done it, but you will get some looks...we go on 2nd sitting so i used to go to the gym about 6pm as 1st sitting diners were in the bars on a formal night,... getting in a lift in gym clothes with 6 people in formal wear - been there got the tshirt lol. :D

Please don't fight it..:rolleyes:.there will be formal nights. If the OV pax who have come onto this pando thread, and there seems to be a few of you , who all came at the same time to try and 'have fun with us' want to come on our ships you are welcome indeed, but please don't try and change us, I think it is perhaps it is you who need to change your ideas of what PandO is about....as I said before, I don't come on your ships and tell you to wear formal wear on your cruise, so please don't come on our ships and try and change our dress code...

People may hire a Tux to keep the weight of their luggage down, particularly when flying. One tux about 3 shirts in weight and two pairs of pants:D:D and maybe a pair of socks.

Craig

ofcourse you can walk along the ship back from gym on a formal night -

Please don't fight it..:rolleyes:.there will be formal nights. If the OV pax who have come onto this pando thread, and there seems to be a few of you , who all came at the same time to try and 'have fun with us' want to come on our ships you are welcome indeed, but please don't try and change us, I think it is perhaps it is you who need to change your ideas of what PandO is about....as I said before, I don't come on your ships and tell you to wear formal wear on your cruise, so please don't come on our ships and try and change our dress code...

Sue, I don't think we are the ones trying to change the dress code, we are just following the false advertising given by P&O/Carnival that after 2010 Ventura and Oceana will be friendly and informal.

I still think the best for all parties is for P&O to rebrand one or two of its fleet and then it keeps its brand and what it stands for rather than the current starting to blur the lines.

The indication so far is that most OV passengers currently don't want to travel on P&O as is. After all if they did then why did they original choose OV over P&O? :)

From a pure sales & Marketing point (which I've been working in for over 10 years) I can't see where P&O is going to find 78,000 (based on Azura at 3,000pax average 2 weeks cruise a year) new cruise passengers (mainly from the UK) who want to dress formally :confused:

If I was a Carnival shareholder I'd be demanding a plan of action from Carnival UK. The whole dropping semi nights on the two is not really an olive branch as they were already dropped from the Caribbean cruises and from the reasons already posted most OV pax would prefer to fly to the location rather than sail from Southampton.

There's no need to spend that much, I guess your not serious about cufflinks, cumerbunds, and a range of bowties. A tux would only last ages if your shape and size doesn't alter which it does once you get older. I also don't understand the expression " serious about doing cruising " I thought we talking about holidays and days of leisure.

What I meant about serious about cruising is that after years of having done package holidays, that having gotten the bug for cruises, it's the holiday of choice. The serious bit is when the wife's going through the brochures picking out the the right cruise, according to the usual selection process.

In our case, as we're more likely to do cruises from now on, it made more sense for me to invest in a decent suit setup, and I have been the same shape I am for a long time (after last 2 week cruise, only put on 3lb, which I lost within the first week back!). If I was only going to do a cruise once every three or four years, then yes, it's a silly amount to pay. But we're looking at doing 2 cruises a year, so the cruise count will soon stack up.

With the bow ties and cummerbunds, I do feel that it would be nice to have a bit of variety, so yes, I would buy a few more accessories.

Scrozuk

Perhaps this may help...........he jokes!!:rolleyes:

It certainly gives clarification.

If you think you can wear casual clothes on a formal night in the buffet restaurant then, I am sorry you are wrong.

This is not me saying this but finally clarity from P&O. I refer you to page 231 of the new full brochure for 2010/11 second bottom paragraph which clearly states that on all ships the dress of the day is in force in all restaurants and all bars.

So what many of us thought was the case is now clearly written in the brochure.

Casual attire in the buffet may be fine one some cruise lines but clearly not on P&O.

I think that answers the OP's question.

Dai

Archived