Adventure vs. Serenade for Southern Caribbean

We are trying to decide between itineraries and ships for the Southern Caribbean for 2011........

We have 3 choices for 14 days sailing out of San Juan, Puerto Rico--which is where we have decided to sail FROM....

1) Princess---unfortunately, itinerary for 2011 still not available--in 2010, it is Caribbean Princess

2) Adventure of the Seas--B2B

3) Serenade of the Seas--B2B

The itineraries are all very similar.....Serenade hits 1 more port, but misses the "A-B-C" islands down furthest south....

All things considered, is a Southern Caribbean cruise "complete" without touching base on one of those islands???

AND....which is better, a Voyager class or a Radiance class ship??

Our background==over 50, not into TONS of noise and craziness, like to relax onboard...never been on RCI....

Have been on Carnival several times (all positive experiences), Princess once (positive experience) and HAL once (Great itinerary, ship of the living dead)....

Thanks for any input or suggestions:)

I can't give any comparisons on Princess but we have done both Adventure and Serenade. There were things we liked about both of them. When it came time to decide, we went with Serenade again. We loved the route that goes to St. Maarten, Barbados, Tortola, St. Kitts, and Dominica.

We like the privacy of the balconies on the Serenade, the smaller ship, and the wonderful service. Adventure was larger and had a great small town feeling in the centrum(not sure what it is called) with the parade but for some reason, just like the Serenade better. With the choice of islands, it was definately Serenade for us. I have wanted to go to Tortola and was excited to see it was offered in 2011.

Having been on both classes of ships, I much prefer the Radiance-class (Serenade). The only time I would recommend one of the larger ships is when taking the kids along.

Our next cruise will be the Southern route, kids stay home, and it will be on Serenade. :cool:

I haven't sailed on Adventure, but I can tell you that I absolutely loved the Serenade. I am also in the same demographics as you. It is a classy, well-kept and beautifully decorated ship. The service is outstanding everywhere onboard. The dining room was wonderful and the food very good. The itinerary is my favorite. There are great things to do and see at every port and it's well worth it to spend an extra day or two in San Juan to check out Old San Juan.

We just booked her again for our second trip. We'll have two different ports this time that I'm excited about checking out.

I know that Adventure is a bigger ship and I have read that there are alot of locals from San Juan that travel on the Adventure, but I don't think you'd go wrong on either ship.

We are trying to decide between itineraries and ships for the Southern Caribbean for 2011........

We have 3 choices for 14 days sailing out of San Juan, Puerto Rico--which is where we have decided to sail FROM....

1) Princess---unfortunately, itinerary for 2011 still not available--in 2010, it is Caribbean Princess

2) Adventure of the Seas--B2B

3) Serenade of the Seas--B2B

The itineraries are all very similar.....Serenade hits 1 more port, but misses the "A-B-C" islands down furthest south....

All things considered, is a Southern Caribbean cruise "complete" without touching base on one of those islands???

AND....which is better, a Voyager class or a Radiance class ship??

Our background==over 50, not into TONS of noise and craziness, like to relax onboard...never been on RCI....

Have been on Carnival several times (all positive experiences), Princess once (positive experience) and HAL once (Great itinerary, ship of the living dead)....

Thanks for any input or suggestions:)

I've been on both multiple times and actually have Adventure booked for a B2B in March 2011. There are pros and cons to each ship but based on your last paragraph, I'd say you'd be happier on Serenade.

Serenade has a more elegant feel to her and fits into your description of "not into TONS of noise and craziness". If the itinerary is important to you, I think you will enjoy Adventure as well.

We have done both and if you are travelling without kids I would choose the Serenade. The only reason we tried Adventure was because my daughter likes the larger ships.

You cannot go wrong with either.

We've done both and loved both. Would definitely pick the Serenade if going without kids. The ship is perfect and the itineries are great...what I would give to do back-to-back! With the kids (teenagers) the Adventure was the way to go...but with just hubby and I, we'd pick the Serenade all the way. It's just a little more sofisticated, laid back and relaxing...not to mention beautiful. Whatever you decide, you'll have a wonderful time. They're both awesome ships and itineries.

Another vote for Serenade. We have not been on Adventure but have sailed Navigator which is the same stye of ship. Although I liked the larger ship, my husband much preferred the smaller, classier feel of the Serenade. We are sailing her again in March, the B version of the Southern route. Serenade is less likely to have numerous children which since we're not sailing with children at this time is a plus for relaxation.

Thanks SO much for all your input......now I am just waiting for my TA, so we can discuss cabins.....I know what I want, but not sure what I want will be available...there are a couple cabins I have in mind, and I know these ones go FAST......If they're gone:(, I'll have to come up with a back up plan....

I think we're leaning towards the Serenade, though, based on everyone's replies so far.....

Thanks again:)

You mentioned Princess which we have been on the Caribbean Princess several times. It would be a wonderul B2B trip and Princess has wonderful activities and the Movies Under the Stars. We are going on our first Royal trip next month but from the looks of pricing it might be our only Royal cruise since they are so much higher than Princess. Gotta see if they are worth the extra few hundred per cabin. As far as missing Aruba, yes you would be missing alot there as it is totally different that way with the Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao islands.

The AOS will not be in San Juan in 2011. It is going to Spain. Lots of questions if it will be replaced with a big ship.

The 2010-2011 Itineraries were just released last week and are showing the AOS sailing from San Juan.

We were just on the Serenade and did AOS last year. Both are beautiful ships and we had a great time on both. I am however a fan of the larger ship. The Royal Promenade is awesome ; as is the beautiful dining room and larger pool area. I felt more crowded on the Serenade. I also wasn't a fan of the extrememly busy itinerary...not enough time to enjoy the ship and experience of cruising.

I would go with your favorite itinerary...You will have a good time on either ship.

We've been on both.

Hands down AOS. You will need more space and more ship amenities on a 2 weeks cruise. And The inside 3 story Royal Promenade will give you relief from feeling like you are boxed in. You can stroll, hang out in the mall like setting no matter what kind of weather. It can hardly be beat!

AOS has a nice itin also.

I was thinking about booking on Serenade for Jan'10 only because of its itinerary. After reading the comments, sounds like this is a really nice ship. I think I have made up my mind.:)

Another vote for Serenade, hands down!! Love the Radiance class, the elegance and open feeling. Personally speaking, although Voyager class is lovely, it's not my first (or 2nd) choice, the Royal Promenade always makes me feel like I'm in the food court at the mall!!!

Thanks SO much for all your input......now I am just waiting for my TA, so we can discuss cabins.....I know what I want, but not sure what I want will be available...there are a couple cabins I have in mind, and I know these ones go FAST......If they're gone:(, I'll have to come up with a back up plan....

I think we're leaning towards the Serenade, though, based on everyone's replies so far.....

Thanks again:)

If you are going for balconies , i would not suggest the ones near the rear of the ship , they have extended balconies , but you cant see down into the water and the people in the balconies above you can look down on you . The dividers that run along the length of the balcony only go half way from floor to ceiling so if you want to lean on the railing you can say hi to your neighbors . I had one of these last month and i didnt care for it.

Serenade is a very nice ship , but i prefer the Adventure .

Archived