Flesh-eating bug killed tourist

A 58-year-old man died within hours of showing symptoms of a flesh-eating bug while on a Mediterranean cruise...

Which cruise line? MSC?

I think this happen at the end of Feb... these days was in Alexandria, Egypt these ships:Norwegian Jade and Brilliance Of The Seas

We were on Jade at the end of Feb, and never heard of anyone being hospitalised. There was a poor lady with pre-existing conditions taken off at Malta, and we all heard about that-jocap.

Thanks, Kendra-then it was not Jade or Brilliance, because they were both back in Barcelona on the 27th Feb, and this couple got on in Rome. MSC or Costa perhaps?-jocap.

I studied all itineries & ship's calling at Egypt prior to booking my last cruise. The only ones I could find covering both Egypt & Rome during the early Spring time frame was RCI Brilliance, Norwegian Jade & Costa Concordia. (MSC had the odd call at Alexandria but sailed form Venice.) Also, as far as I can remember, these ship's were not in the same port at the same time.

The Concordia sailed from Rome on 22nd February, returning on 5th March, visiting Alexandria on 2nd March. So my best guess would be the Concordia.

Apparently this man became so ill that he was taken off of the ship at Alexandria to enter a hospital -- doesn't say where he was when he injured his knee. Any ideas?

David

Anybody's guess really. The ports visited are listed in my sig on the above post, or even below. :) Of the last few I would say Izmir (Ephesus) and Athens probably involved the most walking.

Interestingly enough, in spite of all my advance planning & pre-cautions, we too brought back a 'little present' from our trip on the Concordia. My eldest became ill the day after Alexandria, with my husband & I succumbing the day after that. We took a private tour in Egypt, only drank sealed bottled water, ate hot well cooked foods, visted clean loos & used anti-bacterial handwash almost obsessively. The over the counter medicines I had armed myself with were totally ineffective, (although anti-biotics are prescription only here in the UK), so we had to wait for our return home & a visit to our GP to solve the problem. A somewhat uncomfortable return journey home. :D

We all ate & drank exactly the same but my youngest was not affected at all. I'm still clueless as to how this happened although I am beginning to suspect we may have picked it up from some-one on the ship after our return from Cairo.

Archived