What to do in Freeport /Nassua w/ 2 year old?

travlingrlclt

We are going on the 4 day Carnival Fascination. Where can we take him in Freeport or Nassau. I know he will want to visit the beach. I've read a little about the Atlantis thing but geez..that's like $150 a person. Any suggestions a bit cheaper?

NASSAU

Let me ask a few questions first, how many people are there with you? You can still do Atlantis but DON'T pay for the cruise ship's excursion. You can book a room at Comfort Suites Paradise Island or Atlantis for prices as low as $154.

What's nice about booking a room at Atlantis with the kids is that you can go back to the room for naps and to get a shower before heading back to the ship.

You can go to the public beach NEXT TO Atlantis, for free. But you would have to walk 10 minutes back to Atlantis to use the restrooms. If you choose to do that option, just hop on the water taxi that goes to paradise Island ($3 each way) and follow the crowd to the public beach.

There is also, British Colonial Hilton, they sell say passes. The beach isn't as nice as Atlantis, but it works. And they have a pool there. It is located closest to the port and you can walk there with a stroller.

Another option is Blackbeard's Cay Stingray Adventure. It's a deserted island. Private beach. Stingrays on one side. Gorgeous beach on the other. Chairs. Lunch. Restrooms. VERY nice.

The price through the cruise line may be pricier than going through www.shoretrips.com but the cruise line MAY include lunch...not all do. So check that.

FREEPORT

Get off the ship and get a taxi (they are lined up at this port, VERY EASY) and tell them to take you to "Our Lucaya Sheraton"

Once there, you walk through the Sheraton lobby and out the other side to the public beach. You can't use their pool (you would beed to have a braclet showing you are their guest) but you can use the beach.

And it is gorgeous!

There are restroom facilities there and a nice little open air pool bar that serves a pretty good lunch.

Taxis to there are about $5-$6 per person each way.

We are going on the 4 day Carnival Fascination. Where can we take him in Freeport or Nassau. I know he will want to visit the beach. I've read a little about the Atlantis thing but geez..that's like $150 a person. Any suggestions a bit cheaper?

Check on cruisinmama06's page. I believe there is an affiliated hotel that will give you an Atlantis day pass for way cheaper, and you still get full access to all Atlantis has to offer. I believe the link is in her siggy at the bottom of any of her posts.

Check on cruisinmama06's page. I believe there is an affiliated hotel that will give you an Atlantis day pass for way cheaper, and you still get full access to all Atlantis has to offer. I believe the link is in her siggy at the bottom of any of her posts.

Yep, Comfort Suites Paradise Island. It's not a day pass, you actually get a room there. Rates start at about $154.

You can buy day passes at Atlantis for $108pp...the 2 year old would be free. But if there are more than 2 in their party, the price becomes more expensive then getting a room.

My review of Atlantis is here...

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/2008/11/atlantis-paradise-island-bahamas.html

Or, you can stay on the ship and use that pool that is included in your fare! Few folks will be there, and it's a lovely day at the pool....so uncrowded! It's like being on a private yacht!

Seems silly to pay all that money for a couple of hours on a beach.

I believe there are some public beaches, but you won't get the "hotel" amenities....

Or, you can stay on the ship and use that pool that is included in your fare! Few folks will be there, and it's a lovely day at the pool....so uncrowded! It's like being on a private yacht!

Seems silly to pay all that money for a couple of hours on a beach.

I believe there are some public beaches, but you won't get the "hotel" amenities....

And I think it's silly to pay port fees to visit a country that you never step foot in. ;)

I can do that at the local holiday inn. :p

Go to Atlantis! We went before having kids in 2004 (before many of the great new improvements) and I can't wait to go back with my two little ones. Getting a room is a GREAT plan because you save money and have a nearby place to crash without having to hoof it all the way back to the ship. $154 for 3 people for an excursion is an excellent price.

I agree with Atlantis - we took my kids (age 1.5 and 4 at the time) there for a week December 08 and they had an amazing time! They loved looking at all the aquariums and all the beaches at Atlatis were so fun for them. Them also have a huge kids pool with all sorts of sprayers, jungle gym etc. And all the zero entry pools are great for little ones too. If you don't want to pay the cruise/hotel route because that can be pricey just plan on going to Atlantis anyway and your kids can see the main aquarium of the Digs (the part by the lobby) for free and then you can find the public beach to play. Have fun!

Archived