Early Saver Question

yes

Interesting. I got a quote from an on-line cruise agency and was told that

Carnival requires no-agent involvement for the Early Saver. The agent calls Carnival and places the deposit wihtout mentioning the Early Saver. Then once the cabins are secured for us, she goes back into the computer and convert it to an Early Saver.

Is something fishy here?

Might just be how that TA does it. I know many here have TAs and booked early saver with them. They may have done the same thing and just never mentioned what they were doing. You can book regular then convert so it shouldnt' be a problem.

Might just be how that TA does it. I know many here have TAs and booked early saver with them. They may have done the same thing and just never mentioned what they were doing. You can book regular then convert so it shouldnt' be a problem.

Thanks. I was on one previous cruise and our friend did the booking, so I am new to this. The best quote I got was with an on-line agency, but for some reason, I am little unsure (not even sure why).

When they secure the cabins that we need with the deposit..are they going to assign us actual cabin numbers or a cabin type (like 6C).

If you are going to book online check the cruiser line site so you will have a reference point. Even if you book with a TA it is always good to have a reference so you will know if you are getting a good deal.

If you are going to book online check the cruiser line site so you will have a reference point. Even if you book with a TA it is always good to have a reference so you will know if you are getting a good deal.

You mean check with the actual cruise line web site?

We are booking three cabins. The on-line agent quoted us a price that was $200 (plus an OBC)less than Carnival and BJ's. I guess I am from the school of thought that when something is too good to be true, it usually is.

Thanks. I was on one previous cruise and our friend did the booking, so I am new to this. The best quote I got was with an on-line agency, but for some reason, I am little unsure (not even sure why).

When they secure the cabins that we need with the deposit..are they going to assign us actual cabin numbers or a cabin type (like 6C).

Make sure that they are not going to charge you a fee every time they put in for a price reduction for you. If they are you are not going to end up with anything special. BTW, you know that you can get the same price from Carnival directly so unless they are giving you some really good perk, why bother?

Make sure that they are not going to charge you a fee every time they put in for a price reduction for you. If they are you are not going to end up with anything special. BTW, you know that you can get the same price from Carnival directly so unless they are giving you some really good perk, why bother?

You mean that Carnival will match the price? What about the OBC?

this brings-up an interesting point/question! Customer books Early Saver with TA who gives the customer a better price, (which pretty much has to come via kicking-back some commission from the TA - the TA did not get a better price than if you booked direct).

Now the Carnival Advertised price ias already higher than what the customer paid the TA, but I claim only the Carnival advertised price matters and that the Carnival advertised rates will have to fall below the deal the TA gave the customer in order for the next rate drop to occur.

ken

No Carnival will not match the price you got from the TA. Zqvol was responding to an earlier post and probably didn't see your more recent post (#7) at the time they posted.

Bill

Carnival requires no-agent involvement for the Early Saver. The agent calls Carnival and places the deposit wihtout mentioning the Early Saver. Then once the cabins are secured for us, she goes back into the computer and convert it to an Early Saver.

Is something fishy here?

I'd be extremely leery of any TA that makes this statement, at best they're not knowledgeable, at worst there's something "fishy".

Carnival states that the Early Saver can be booked via TA:

How do I make an Early Saver reservation?

Contact your Travel Agent, your Personal Vacation Planner, call 1-800- Carnival or visit www.Carnival.com.

And

The Fare Adjustment Request Form is clearly stated as required to be filled-out by the TA that you booked with.

AND

Any number of On-Line sites clearly advertise Early Saver rates and list the rules for same.

ken

With Early Saver you should have selected the Cabin Category and the specific Cabin at time of booking. ken

I'd be extremely leery of any TA that makes this statement, at best they're not knowledgeable, at worst there's something "fishy".

Carnival states that the Early Saver can be booked via TA:

How do I make an Early Saver reservation?

Contact your Travel Agent, your Personal Vacation Planner, call 1-800- Carnival or visit www.Carnival.com.

And

The Fare Adjustment Request Form is clearly stated as required to be filled-out by the TA that you booked with.

AND

Any number of On-Line sites clearly advertise Early Saver rates and list the rules for same.

ken

Thank you Ken. I did email them just now and quoted the website. The price quoted is a good deal, but if there is something fishy or no legit, then not worth it.

With Early Saver you should have selected the Cabin Category and the specific Cabin at time of booking. ken

Thanks, like I said earlier, I do not have any experience with an on-line agency. It is hard to know and trust people.

This was the agent's reply..does this make more sense now?

By "no-agent" involvement, I mean they require us to book the Early Saver strictly through the "automated" system. We cannot call their agents for assistance. Because the rates are so low, they have to cut "overhead" on the bookings so they put the restrictions on it. They don't want to pay one of their agents to do the work on the booking. As you'll see when we conference call the cruise line to select cabins, it's a lengthy process.

Is something fishy here?

What you got is a TA who is telling you that they are not going to do the leg work that is involved with getting the price changes, if any, with the Early Saver rates. Every reduction reduces their commission, and causes them more work. . . . let's see . . .the TA does more work for less commission . . . right . . . we are going to see TAs start charging for every change they make to a reservation, which will often negate the value of the Early Saver, and before anyone says they can't do that, yes they can if they disclose it up front, just like a fee for canceling.

IMO if you want to book early Saver Fares do it yourself.

Agencies are not allowed to advertise prices lower than Carnival. If you have a lower price than Carnival is advertising you are being booked as part of a group, and OBC comes from an agent's own pocket, so Carnival will not match, but remember if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck it probably quacks.

this brings-up an interesting point/question! Customer books Early Saver with TA who gives the customer a better price, (which pretty much has to come via kicking-back some commission from the TA - the TA did not get a better price than if you booked direct).

Now the Carnival Advertised price ias already higher than what the customer paid the TA, but I claim only the Carnival advertised price matters and that the Carnival advertised rates will have to fall below the deal the TA gave the customer in order for the next rate drop to occur.

ken

When TAs start rebating commission, etc. this is going to get complicated. In order to get a price reduction you are going to have to know what the TA paid to Carnival for your fare, and the price is going to have to go below that price to get any credit, and of course then the TA can take away OBC that they are giving , etc.

By "no-agent" involvement, I mean they require us to book the Early Saver strictly through the "automated" system. We cannot call their agents for assistance. Because the rates are so low, they have to cut "overhead" on the bookings so they put the restrictions on it. They don't want to pay one of their agents to do the work on the booking. As you'll see when we conference call the cruise line to select cabins, it's a lengthy process.

I was told the same thing from Carnival directly so your agent appears to be telling the truth.

Lazy TA who doesn't give a rat's patootie about customer service.

Just another reason to cut them out of the process and do it yourself.

Lazy TA who doesn't give a rat's patootie about customer service.

Just another reason to cut them out of the process and do it yourself.

I has nothing to do with being lazy. The Carnival agent that I spoke with said that Early Savers are really tricky and they require all agents to book them online. My guess is to avoid any confusion or misunderstandings that could result from a conversation.

But I do agree that it is much easier to contact Carnival and do it yourself.

What you got is a TA who is telling you that they are not going to do the leg work that is involved with getting the price changes, if any, with the Early Saver rates. Every reduction reduces their commission, and causes them more work. . . . let's see . . .the TA does more work for less commission . . . right . . . we are going to see TAs start charging for every change they make to a reservation, which will often negate the value of the Early Saver, and before anyone says they can't do that, yes they can if they disclose it up front, just like a fee for canceling.

IMO if you want to book early Saver Fares do it yourself.

Agencies are not allowed to advertise prices lower than Carnival. If you have a lower price than Carnival is advertising you are being booked as part of a group, and OBC comes from an agent's own pocket, so Carnival will not match, but remember if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck it probably quacks.

When TAs start rebating commission, etc. this is going to get complicated. In order to get a price reduction you are going to have to know what the TA paid to Carnival for your fare, and the price is going to have to go below that price to get any credit, and of course then the TA can take away OBC that they are giving , etc.

The agent already said she would do the leg work for any price reductions and there is no additional fee. However, I will be dilligent in checking the fares myself everyday. Honestly, if there is no further price reduction, I will be 100% satisfied with the price I am paying. I am getting a lower rate and an OBC and am happy with the price now.

I has nothing to do with being lazy. The Carnival agent that I spoke with said that Early Savers are really tricky and they require all agents to book them online. My guess is to avoid any confusion or misunderstandings that could result from a conversation.

But I do agree that it is much easier to contact Carnival and do it yourself.

If you book with an agent, can you still register on-line with Carnival and monitor the reservation yourself?

If you book with an agent, can you still register on-line with Carnival and monitor the reservation yourself?

You can register online, and check prices, but the reservation belongs to the agent and there is nothing that you can do with it, and if I remember correctly you cannot even see the pricing information about the reservation.

Archived