America's Cup Race questions

yarlenna

I want to talk my DH into this - but there are a few things I would like to know.

1. Is there any shade on the ship? DH needs out of the direct sun except for short spells

2. I want to "work" on the ship, but I have had 3 strokes and have some problems. I do get out and walk and lots of things, but I cannot drive or anything that needs that kind of skill.

We did this last month in St. Martin. To answer your questions:

1. No, there really isn't a shaded area. The yacht is wide open.

2. There are a variety of jobs available, from timekeeper, which is very low maintenence to grinder, which is very high maintenence.

Something to consider...this is a racing excursion and the boat will be moving fast. When this happens, the boat is up on the side (I'm so NOT nautical, so can't give you the right term....keel?) and you need to be able to move with the movement of the boat, which can happen quickly.

We did this last month in St. Martin. To answer your questions:

1. No, there really isn't a shaded area. The yacht is wide open.

2. There are a variety of jobs available, from timekeeper, which is very low maintenence to grinder, which is very high maintenence.

Something to consider...this is a racing excursion and the boat will be moving fast. When this happens, the boat is up on the side (I'm so NOT nautical, so can't give you the right term....keel?) and you need to be able to move with the movement of the boat, which can happen quickly.

Thank you for your answer. The shade thing is deal breaker for us. I still want to try it, but not at the cost of my DH's health. Back in my youth, I used to sail - in smaller boats. I would love to have that feeling one more time.

We just raced with Stars and Stripes this past Friday. No shade. And there are various degrees of "jobs" that you will be assigned to. If you have health issues, you just might be assigned to be the bartender or the time keeper. Everyone basically gets some responsibility. It's a blast and it's fast and you will get wet.

• 3 weeks later...
We just raced with Stars and Stripes this past Friday. No shade. And there are various degrees of "jobs" that you will be assigned to. If you have health issues, you just might be assigned to be the bartender or the time keeper. Everyone basically gets some responsibility. It's a blast and it's fast and you will get wet.

The sailboat racing adventures in St Thomas have restrictions that prevent vision and hearing impaired cruisers from participating. Is this true with America's Cup as well?

I used to sail ocean racing yachts back in the day and would love to sail one of these, especially Stars and Stripes since we "practiced " against her once out of San Diego, but I wear hearing aids now and am disappointed we can't do the IORC boats in St Thomas.

Archived