Denali help needed

gaylenhazel

Our cruise tour in July has us spending one day on our own and the second day is the Denali Natural History Tour. Is this tour good? On our one free day is it advisable to book one of the longer tours? Which is best? I see they are expensive. DH thinks the one included in the cruise tour is enough. I'm not so sure. Advice please!

The Natural History Tour is worthless. It goes only a little further into the park than the FREE Savage River shuttle bus. I can drive my own car to the same place anytime I want. As BQ says, it's like going all the way across the country to visit Disneyworld and then driving around the parking lot without ever going inside. I would forget the DNHT and book a shuttle to Eielson for around $40 each. Make sure on the "free" day in Denali you have enough time, as you may not arrive until later in the day. The last shuttle leaves around 3pm. Check out the website at http://www.nps.gov/dena for more information.

Definately, the NHT is a complete waste of time.

you have two overnights at Denali Park??? IF so, verify, where you are staying has the Access Center shuttle buses, THEN book yourself an Eielson Shuttle bus within the lodge shuttle bus timeframes. You MUST do this in advance and via phone, so to not double pay your park admission= 1- 800-6227275

RCI has never been known to refund the NHT, but do request this of your booking agent. DON'T mention booking anything else, just say you don't want to go.

BQ, I need your advice! We only have 1 night at Denali (time constraints) and our cruisetour includes the NHT. Our train from Fairbanks is SUPPOSED to get in at noon. We are staying at the McKinley Chalets and the only available TWT leaves at 1:30. According to the NPS people, we need to be at the Wilderness Access center 30 minutes prior. Can we do this??? I'm nervous if we will have the time to get 4 people off the train, make the transfers and get there in basically 1 hour! Please help! Both DH and I really want to do the better tour but don't want to lose $314 if we miss it!

BQ, I need your advice! We only have 1 night at Denali (time constraints) and our cruisetour includes the NHT. Our train from Fairbanks is SUPPOSED to get in at noon. We are staying at the McKinley Chalets and the only available TWT leaves at 1:30. According to the NPS people, we need to be at the Wilderness Access center 30 minutes prior. Can we do this??? I'm nervous if we will have the time to get 4 people off the train, make the transfers and get there in basically 1 hour! Please help! Both DH and I really want to do the better tour but don't want to lose $314 if we miss it!

Is there not a TWT that picks up at the lodges available??? I suggest you look for this via your booking agent. There is an Eielson shuttle bus that leaves at 2pm, every day. (going in season). Either way, if you book this TWT or the shuttle buses from the ACCESS center- you are on your own getting back to your lodge, if their shuttles don't run late back. VERIFY this, if you don't want to be walking over a mile. You aren't going with Princess, staying at this lodge, are you getting a refund of the NHT????? Most other lines don't.

Only for general information, NOT directed any anyone, but cruisetour visitors are far better off, booking the right cruisetour to begin with. It can be difficult fixing the problems.

No, we are on HAL so no refund. The lady that I spoke with at the NPS 800 number did not have English as her first language and didn't offer a shuttle pick up as an option. I'll try later to see if I get somebody else. Thanks for the info.!

No, we are on HAL so no refund. The lady that I spoke with at the NPS 800 number did not have English as her first language and didn't offer a shuttle pick up as an option. I'll try later to see if I get somebody else. Thanks for the info.!

OK, we are talking about different shuttles. You need to confirm what lodge transit options you have- HOW late they pick up. Most TWT, do the lodge pick ups, so if you go with this option, then that is what I only suggest you get. Also you rate is not for 4 people, it's over $100pp for the TWT. Booking direct, you also need to tell them you will already have paid your park admission, don't pay it twice.

In a couple weeks, call the Lodge directly and inqurie what transit options they have for the access center. IF they have someing coming back around 10 pm, the save yourself considerable money and book yourself on the Eielson Shuttle bus.

Not sure with your listed pricing, but if you happen to have an upgrade option??? The Shuttle bus would still be significantly cheaper compared to your price listing.

We get a kids discount (14 and under is $53 instead of the adult price of $104 and we have 2 under 14). Do we get the same narration on the Eielson shuttle bus as the TWT? Do you think there will still be availability if we wait? They definitely do not have our names yet because the lady couldn't find us so is that the reasoning to wait a few weeks? You have been a lifesaver helping us plan for this trip and I really appreciate your help!

We get a kids discount (14 and under is $53 instead of the adult price of $104 and we have 2 under 14). Do we get the same narration on the Eielson shuttle bus as the TWT? Do you think there will still be availability if we wait? They definitely do not have our names yet because the lady couldn't find us so is that the reasoning to wait a few weeks? You have been a lifesaver helping us plan for this trip and I really appreciate your help!

Not sure what you expect, but the "narration" on the tour buses is hardly the highlight. It's all about what is outside, scenery and wildlife- distance. IF you want information about the park, you will be better off, researching that ahead of time. As for your "deal" with the tour, under 14, for $53, those kids are FREE on the shuttle buses.

You are taking a big chance by waiting, and likely no availability, since you only have ONE timeframe. Add to that, the time, you are wasting trying to do a late booking.

I'm sure you have seen the posts, but for families, cruisetours aren't the best option, and your kids are likely to be the only ones on the tour. So be well prepared, with triple the games, batteries, snacks.

BQ-thanks for the help and advice. We are confirmed on the 2:00 p.m. Eielson shuttle instead of the NHT and since we are national park passholders they removed the park admission fee. Whoo-Hoo! Now to get the kids excited about the bus ride!

Archived