Skagway car plan

travelnsee

I have booked car through saradough. I have read information about here on Murry resource. we will be skagway for whole day I guess 7 .00 am to 8.30 pm I think. What is the suggested route to cover most things.I have yet to download Murry guide. Another worry I have about driving is fog.

I will be there in mid july. I dont want to get stuck in fog not able to see .

and worry about missing ship. I would like to hear from people who have done Skagway and around in car. I will have two kids with me ages 9 and 12

There were at least 2 "threads" regarding Skagway. If you look further down (back several dates) you should find them. Based on what I read, the 5 of us are renting a car from Avis, already reserved, and will follow Murrays Guide. I also just read something else regarding "shore excursions" where someone indicated that the trains are available near the ship without having to book thru the cruise line.

There is ONLY one "route", the Klondike Highway. IF you are so concerned about "fog", then, then a self drive isn't going to be for you, since there is NO way to predict this.

IF you get past this, then purchasing Murray's Guide has ALL the features and points of interest on this drive.

Rman, yes I rea those theards, but those threads are hijacked by those who want to do tours. I found information about Murry on it. So wanted to know more details about experiences from people who has driven in that area. I talked to some tour operstors, becuase I will be there on wednesdaty and on wednesday you can not book first two train rides in advance.

Only 4.30 pm can be booked in advanced. So I decided to rent a car.But this is my friest cruise and first visit to Alaska.may be that wednesday will the only day of my life will be spent in skagway so was weighing in how much risk it is to drive and do on your own.

Thanks Budget. I live in SF bay area, I have hardly encounter fog etc. Its more of not able to make it to ship becuase of weather than fog itself. On another thread you said its not winding road.So thats good.just wanted to know how much is total time to make the standard tourist route in that area?

No fog in SF, huh?

Yukon says allow five hours for a round-trip drive to Emerald Lake. Leaving early allows plenty of time to find your way back and explore the town close to the ship. The safest way to ensure getting back to the ship on time is to stay aboard in the first place.

Thanks Budget. I live in SF bay area, I have hardly encounter fog etc. Its more of not able to make it to ship becuase of weather than fog itself. On another thread you said its not winding road.So thats good.just wanted to know how much is total time to make the standard tourist route in that area?

In your timeframe, I will say, you are NOT going to miss your ship. :) The drive is best with a 4-5 hour timeframe, and taking your time. Most often, if there is "fog", then it comes and goes. IF this is an option for you, you can just slow way down, and get through it. Think about it, it's a fantastic overall day to consider for self touring.

Archived