Grenada question

mushroom

I am on a tour with Mandoo on Dec 22nd. He told me that he would have a sign with our name on it and we should just look for him when we get off the ship. I'll post when we get back so you can have all the details.

Thank you DoreenD. I'll be anxious to get your report. Have a wonderful time...it's not that far off. Also, thanks Jumbie for the link. We're all very excited to be able to go to Grenada. What kinds of things can we expect to purchase as souveniers other than spice baskets? We really want to do our part to boost the economy. There will be three of us...all shopoholic women!

Also, thanks Jumbie for the link.
No prob.

We're all very excited to be able to go to Grenada.
We're excited to have you.

What kinds of things can we expect to purchase as souveniers other than spice baskets?
Not much, I'm afraid. Grenada really doesn't have much other than standard "tourist items".

Things you are likely to find would be:

- t-shirts, bags, hats, etc.

- crafts and figurines such as candle holders, hand-made dolls, plates, baskets, shot glasses, etc.

- peppers (buy the lime pepper if you see it - delicious), jellies, jams, soaps, perfumes (not a big fan of these local perfumes or perfume in general for that matter) and other locally made things of that nature

- drawings and pictures - some are very nice. My mom has a few framed and/or mounted in our house

- local chocolate [dark, not milk] makes a nice gift

- alcohol samplers: there is a little pack you can buy with 5 tiny bottles of local alcohol

- jewellery made from sea shells, volcanic rock, black coral, etc. Some are rather tacky, but some can be quite nice. I've bought a pendant for my g/f (I offer you that fact as proof that it's not all horrible *grin*). The carved black coral make nice gifts, but for a younger age group I'd think.

So basically you'll find things like that. Probably pretty standard in most ports except for the artwork.

We really want to do our part to boost the economy. There will be three of us...all shopoholic women!
Great. I hope you enjoy your cruise and visit here!

Jumbie, about the art. I'm will be buying local art for sure. Any particular artist or shop I should be aware of? Thanks very much for your information. I've already made a shopping list...lime pepper, dark chocolate...for starters.

What's the average price range for those items?
I honestly couldn't tell you. I haven't looked at any of them in some years now and my memory fails me.

Sorry about that.

Jumbie, about the art. I'm will be buying local art for sure. Any particular artist or shop I should be aware of? Thanks very much for your information. I've already made a shopping list...lime pepper, dark chocolate...for starters.
There are a couple of places along the Carenage (the harbour where you get off the ship) that sell them. Ganzee is one and Tikal the other. Those are the two that come to mind. Actually Tikal is on a side street (a hill). Ask someone where it is if you don't see it.

I think they sell more prints than actual artist drawings though, but I think they might have a few.

Regarding the lime pepper, I don't think I've ever seen it in a large bottle. It come in a sample pack with some other types. I had bought one for my g/f's mom as a gift and I remember her particularly liking the lime one. So I ended up going to the place that makes it (which is outside of the town) and asking them to give me some in a regular-sized bottle.

The company that makes it (and other things) is called Arawak Islands. I just did a search and it seems that they have a website. Might give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.arawak-islands.com/

The prices seem absolutely insanse. I do not recall paying that much in a store. Maybe it's cause the website prices include shipping costs.

That reminds me, tamarind sauce and passionfruit honey are also very tasty. I love passionfruit!

Here's what to look for in the chocolate bar http://www.grenadachocolate.com/chocolate_bar.html I think it's roughly around US $3 for one which might seem a little pricey for a bar of chocolate, but I really like them and buy one from time to time. You can taste the rich cocoa when you eat one :)

Thanks again for all the good information. One last question - I'm guessing that due to the lack of working phones, we need to be prepared to make our purchased in dollars instead of credit cards. Are US dollars readily accepted for items such as chocolate, etc...or do we need to change to the local currency?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived