Excursions from Princess Fairbanks Lodge?

debintexas

We'll be doing the ElDorado goldmining and the paddlewheel boat ride as part of our cruisetour. Will have time for another excursion. Has anyone done this one--$398 for under 4 hours. Any other ideas?

JOURNEY ABOVE THE ARCTIC CIRCLE

Fly north from Fairbanks, cross the Arctic Circle and land on the banks of the Yukon River for a visit to the Native village of Fort Yukon, accessible only by air.

The Gwich'in Athabascan Indians have resided in this area for centuries, just 140 miles north of Fairbanks but a world apart. The Hudson's Bay Company established the community in 1847. Today, this Athabascan village is the largest in Alaska's Interior region. Athabascan guides show you their community and share tales of historic and contemporary cultural life in a bush village.

There are better options. Flightseeing here is so so at best since there are many other options that are superior for viewing, in my experience. Very commercial with this tour.

IF that price is for 2, then OK. Definately not if pp.

We were looking into the trips North but decided to spend a big wad for a fishing trip in Whittier, so we decided to rent a car. We got the lower price rental for just the 'non gravel' roads, but there is still alot to do without going too far. You could also pay the extra for the rentals allowed to go on gravel and it would still be less than $398 ap piece. In town there is the ice museum, and a musum at the university with a real big blue ox from the ice age (something like that;)) along with the ag center with the huge vegetables. There is also Pioneer park and some cool stuff there and we will keep the car over night because we thought we could drive some place (that I can't remember at the moment) that someone on trip advisor suggested so we could see the Northern lights. There is also Creamery Field wildlife/birds... lots! ;)

We also are ona cruise tour and the next day do the gold mine and riverboat things so we won't miss those ;)

We were looking into the trips North but decided to spend a big wad for a fishing trip in Whittier, so we decided to rent a car. We got the lower price rental for just the 'non gravel' roads, but there is still alot to do without going too far. You could also pay the extra for the rentals allowed to go on gravel and it would still be less than $398 ap piece. In town there is the ice museum, and a musum at the university with a real big blue ox from the ice age (something like that;)) along with the ag center with the huge vegetables. There is also Pioneer park and some cool stuff there and we will keep the car over night because we thought we could drive some place (that I can't remember at the moment) that someone on trip advisor suggested so we could see the Northern lights. There is also Creamery Field wildlife/birds... lots! ;)

We also are ona cruise tour and the next day do the gold mine and riverboat things so we won't miss those ;)

You haven't been there??? There is no "huge vegetables" at an "ag center"???? The botanical gardens, don't have the big vegatables- I have been there several times in August and Sept. You need to look at Palmer for the mega size. It is Creamer's Field, not Creamery.

Sorry, but driving around is in no comparism to any flightseeing above the Arctic.

This is an off year for Northern Lights and you are too early, with your cruise starting end of August. They haven't even seen much of anything ALL winter. So definately do not count on any, in your timeframe.

Archived