Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Keel Haul, when we go to Dubrovnik we stop in Ston for lunch. There are two gorgeous restaurants, offering alive oysters and other sea food. One of those is famous as one of 2-3 best Croatian restaurants. The other one is even better in attempt to beat this kind of competitition.

So, I really love Bosnian specialities, but in terms of travelling from Split to Dubrovnik I will allways opt to Ston.

Ston and its hidden and wanderful gastronimic treasures could be good idea for those opting for something different when second time in Dubrovnik.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Dubrovnik on October the 7th of this year and I saw on the port schedule there will be over 10,000 other people in port with us. Am I reading the schedule correctly? http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

If so we'll definitely but looking for something to do outside of town. Can someone recommend maybe a park in the area with hiking trails? Would we need to rent a car to do something like that? Or is it possible to take public transit? Any other suggestions on places not too far away to helps escape the crowds?

We may still want to walk the wall before heading out or after our return. Can someone tell me if the wall is generally less crowded in the morning or afternoon?

Thanks!

The city wall will be busy all day with so many cruisers arriving, best time to go up is about 8am when it opens. When checking the port authority arrivals you can check to see what time each ship departs giving you a better idea of total guests in town that day. During high season the wall does not close until 7pm, but that may change this year.

Keel Haul, when we go to Dubrovnik we stop in Ston for lunch. There are two gorgeous restaurants, offering alive oysters and other sea food. One of those is famous as one of 2-3 best Croatian restaurants. The other one is even better in attempt to beat this kind of competitition.

So, I really love Bosnian specialities, but in terms of travelling from Split to Dubrovnik I will allways opt to Ston.

Ston and its hidden and wanderful gastronimic treasures could be good idea for those opting for something different when second time in Dubrovnik.

My vote for Ston, the best place for oysters and many other wonderful delicacies.

That looks like a nice option, thank you! I did notice that the bus from Dubrovnik to Cavtat does not run on Sunday which is the day we are going to be there.

I could not make out the ferry schedule :o Do you know if it runs regularly in October on Sundays?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

The bus from Dubrovnik to Cavtat does indeed run on Saturday & Sunday every hour beginning at 5;15am until 23:15. Bus service takes approximately 1/2 hour and the last stop is a 2 minute walk to the Riva in downtown Cavtat.

Ferries may or may not run in October, weather depending and the ride is 45 minutes from the old port to the Riva in Cavtat.

I have read this entire thread...whew...so much great information!!! We will be on the Azamara Quest, arriving on June 19th, 8:00 am - 3:00pm. We are a group of 4 adults. We would like to take the panoramic taxi tour to Srg, walk the seaside half of the wall, have lunch at Komarda, and make a stop at D'Vino wine bar, in addition to spending time in the old town. Is this do-able? Should we start with the panoramic tour, the have our driver drop us at the Pile gate to begin the walk, then lunch, then the Old, town, ending with the wine bar, before returning to the ship? Is this too ambitious?

I have read this entire thread...whew...so much great information!!! We will be on the Azamara Quest, arriving on June 19th, 8:00 am - 3:00pm. We are a group of 4 adults. We would like to take the panoramic taxi tour to Srg, walk the seaside half of the wall, have lunch at Komarda, and make a stop at D'Vino wine bar, in addition to spending time in the old town. Is this do-able? Should we start with the panoramic tour, the have our driver drop us at the Pile gate to begin the walk, then lunch, then the Old, town, ending with the wine bar, before returning to the ship? Is this too ambitious?

I was wondering just how long did it take to read the entire post? Do keep in mind that some of the fees have changed since I began posting, along with opening and closing hours.

You have a very limited time in Dubrovnik, do plan your day accordingly. Personally I would rather use the cable car to get to the top of Mt. Srd. The goat path which is laughingly referred to as a road here makes me shudder in fear. I do not do well on any mountain roads, but that one is just not for me.

You may want to download the map of the town which I have posted several times. This may give you a better insight into how to plan a circle type of tour.

By the way your website is lovely.

Carol aka Dubrovniktravelady

We just took the pamorama taxi tour in Oct and we really enjoyed it. We were first taken to the new bridge where we were able to get out and take pictures. We also stopped above Dubrovnik for pictures. I didn't think the road up to Mt Srd was too bad and our driver told us about the war on the drive up. After walking around on top we were driven to the Pile gate. I would get off the ship as early as possible to complete all you plan to do. Just make sure your driver speaks good English.

Thanks to both of you. My husband hates cable cars, and we survived the Amalfi coast drive a couple of years ago, so I think we will take our chances on the drive. Appreciate the info!

It took me about 2 days, off and on, to finish the entire thread! My favorite part was how many people kept asking for weather info, and your response about living in a villa, sipping on wine!

I have tried to find our ship on the Dubrovnik port site, but can't open the chart past page one. Can you tell me how many other ships will be there that day? Also, do you know what time Komarda opens?

Thanks so much.

I have tried to find our ship on the Dubrovnik port site, but can't open the chart past page one. Can you tell me how many other ships will be there that day? Also, do you know what time Komarda opens?

Thanks so much.

The port website is showing 6 ships with about 6,400 passengers on the 19th of June.

We just took the pamorama taxi tour in Oct and we really enjoyed it. We were first taken to the new bridge where we were able to get out and take pictures. We also stopped above Dubrovnik for pictures. I didn't think the road up to Mt Srd was too bad and our driver told us about the war on the drive up. After walking around on top we were driven to the Pile gate. I would get off the ship as early as possible to complete all you plan to do. Just make sure your driver speaks good English.

Eileen G - how much was the taxi tour please and did you pick up the taxi at the ship or in town? Thanks

Eileen G - how much was the taxi tour please and did you pick up the taxi at the ship or in town? Thanks

The panoramic tour was 50 euros last Oct. The best thing about it is you get the taxi at the ship so it will be your transportation into town as well as the tour. If your ship happens to tender into old town you can just go out one of the gates and find the taxi stand.

If you are going to use one of the private taxis for a tour, make sure you get the price quote first. Taxi drivers charge whatever they can get for a tour, depending on length of time and size of group. Be sure you ask for a total, not a per person nor a meter fare. Do note that not all taxi drivers here are Croatian, many are from other countries.

If you are going to use one of the private taxis for a tour, make sure you get the price quote first. Taxi drivers charge whatever they can get for a tour, depending on length of time and size of group. Be sure you ask for a total, not a per person nor a meter fare. Do note that not all taxi drivers here are Croatian, many are from other countries.

Thank you Dubrovnik lady and Eileen G for your comments.

I apologize if this is in this thread somewhere, but I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

We are looking at a cruise which would only be in port from 7am to 1pm. How early does the admission to the wall open? Also, what time would the shops open?

Thank you!

I apologize if this is in this thread somewhere, but I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

We are looking at a cruise which would only be in port from 7am to 1pm. How early does the admission to the wall open? Also, what time would the shops open?

Thank you!

Much easier to answer your questions if your arrival date in Dubrovnik is posted.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

I posted this yesterday, but it didn't show up, so if this comes up as a double post, I'll apologize in advance.

We're looking at a cruise which would be in port from 7am to 1pm. How early does admission to the wall start? Also, what time do the shops generally open?

Thank you for any responses!

doing inaugral cruise marseille to venice, never been to dubrovnik before. how do i find what other ships are in port and what is recommended?

dave

You can visit the Dubrovnik port authority website, open it in English and check your date on arrivals/departures.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/index.php?lan=en

We would be arriving on July 12th.

Thank you. And I see I did post twice. My apologies!

During high season the wall is open from 0800 until 1900 daily. Historical sites and shops normally open about 0800 also, many restaurants will start seating about 1000.

Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

During high season the wall is open from 0800 until 1900 daily. Historical sites and shops normally open about 0800 also, many restaurants will start seating about 1000.

Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

Thank you! I wish it was a longer stop. Dubrovnik is the port I'm most looking forward to visiting.

We're actually considering 2 cruises. The other one has a longer stay in Dobrovnik, which may sway out decision.

Thanks for the tips. Do you have suggestions for finding a Croatian taxi driver, without offending any who are not?

Thanks for the tips. Do you have suggestions for finding a Croatian taxi driver, without offending any who are not?

The taxis line up at the dock, as a group takes the first one in line the next car moves forward. Sorry but you have no chance to figure out who is who, they will all tell you they are Croatian. And again my own personal opinion of this panorama tour is that it is a total waste of money.

Thank you! I wish it was a longer stop. Dubrovnik is the port I'm most looking forward to visiting.

We're actually considering 2 cruises. The other one has a longer stay in Dobrovnik, which may sway out decision.

By all means take the cruise which has a longer stay in our town. Of course you must understand I believe a few short hours is not enough to enjoy the hidden gems of Dubrovnik.