Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

I have heard Dubrovnik has great wine and many do wine tasting here. Can you do wine tasting in the city? I would love suggestions for this. Thank you.

Sorry I cannot give you any specific recommendation, as a local resident cruise critic rules do not allow it. That being said, there is not much in the way of wine tasting in Dubrovnik. Many of our major vineyards are located on the Peljesac peninsula, about a 2 hour drive from Dubrovnik. There you will find wine tasting galore, however it does require much driving and Croatia does have zero tolerance for drivers who are drinking. If time allows you may want to look into hiring car/driver for such a trip. However keep in mind the amount of traffic on the road during high season.

Perhaps a google search may help you.

If I were to get a taxi from Gruz Port to the top of the cable car, approximatly how much would it cost? I'd like to do a one trip down on the cable car.

also for walking the walls I know the price is 70 kn adults and 30 kn kids, but what ages are considered kids. I have two teens and am not sure how much they will cost.

Taxi to Pile gate costs 70 Kuna or 10 Euros, cable car entrance a bit further with several one way roads, cost would be higher, my best guess would be about 75 or 80 Kuna - guess is the operative word.

General rule of thumb is 12 years for children and both cable car and city wall does accept credit cards. I do believe teenagers may be considered adults, but I cannot be sure. Cable car ride is round trip, first up and then back down. Do not attempt to walk the mountain down, it would take far too long to navigate the serpentine dirt path.

Enjoy both options, they are fantastic.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Our cable car entrance is located on a busy one way road, doubtful you will find a taxi unless you grab one which is dropping off guests. You will find the closest taxi stand down at the Ploce gate entrance. Walk the steps down past a pizza cafe to the road, cross the road at the zebra (crosswalk) staying towards your left. Follow the outside of the wall down to Ploce gate, several taxis should be waiting there just in front of small Konzum store. Enjoy your day.

Thank-you so much! We look forward to visiting your beautiful city!

I saw where taxi to front gate was around 10 euros. Does anyone know approximate charge to the Ploce Gate... Near the cable car?

Last time I checked, the fare posted was 12 Euros, may be a tad higher now. You may want to think about taking the taxi directly to the cable car entrance, avoiding the walk up the steps.

Thanks - better we know this in advance! We had planned to do the Cable Car in the morning as we have young children and they will love this. We then wanted to drop them off back at the ship with granny - which we will definitely do now that we know so many ships arrive after 12pm.

My DH and I will then brave the crowds on our own and walk the wall.

Am I right that we will easily find taxis to take us from the port to the cable car and from the cable car back to the port?

How would I find out how many ships will be in port on July 7, 2012?

Hello

We are about to sign up for this cruise and had a question. The itinerary shows the Jade in port from 2pm to 9pm . Since this is a Sunday, will there be a problem with things being closed after dark, or closed because its Sunday?

Thank you

You have hit the jackpot, with 10,000 plus cruisers arriving on 07 July. All the information for the entire year can be found on the Dubrovnik port authority website.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en

Hello Dubrovniktravelady,

Oh my gosh!!!! Thank you for the news:confused: We will be in port (Gruz)

from 8:30am-6:00pm on July 7th. We are interested in the cable car, walking the wall and seeing the walled city. What order should we do this in considering we have 9,997 of our best friends with us?:eek: Also, please let me know about transportation from Gruz to wherever you suggest we go and also the return to Gruz.:) We are all so grateful for your advice. Thank you again.:cool:

Hello

We are about to sign up for this cruise and had a question. The itinerary shows the Jade in port from 2pm to 9pm . Since this is a Sunday, will there be a problem with things being closed after dark, or closed because its Sunday?

Thank you

During high season, Sunday is not a problem as all cultural and historical sites are open. A few privately owned shops may be closed, but the vast majority are not. If you have booked mid September, there will be no problems as it is a very busy month here. Things only begin to close down on the first of November when the town goes into winter hibernation. Do keep in mind, September is normally very busy and many cruise ships arriving here daily. Saturday and Sunday are always the busiest days, often up to 10,000 cruisers per day during weekends. And last year October was the big month, more than 170,000 cruisers making navigating the old town frightful.

Hello Dubrovniktravelady,

Oh my gosh!!!! Thank you for the news:confused: We will be in port (Gruz)

from 8:30am-6:00pm on July 7th. We are interested in the cable car, walking the wall and seeing the walled city. What order should we do this in considering we have 9,997 of our best friends with us?:eek: Also, please let me know about transportation from Gruz to wherever you suggest we go and also the return to Gruz.:) We are all so grateful for your advice. Thank you again.:cool:

Last week I decided to catch the bus to Cavtat from the stop in front of the cable car. Big mistake! I walked from the old town, out the Ploce gate and up the 100 plus steps to the cable car entrance, never again.

I strongly suggest you take a taxi directly to the cable car, the proceed down to the old town and begin to explore the old town. You can also begin the wall walk just below the Ploce gate which is the eastern entrance, there is an entrance on the pathway down to the old part of town.

Personally I prefer taking a cab to and from the Gruz during our high season, it is easier and faster. Cost is about 75 Kunas or 10 Euros from Pile area, a bit more to reach the cable car due to our many one way roads.

Late June, we should have summer weather. It has been a miserable wet May and I am running the heater this early morning.

Enjoy Dubrovnik, it is itself a work of art!

Last week I decided to catch the bus to Cavtat from the stop in front of the cable car. Big mistake! I walked from the old town, out the Ploce gate and up the 100 plus steps to the cable car entrance, never again.

I strongly suggest you take a taxi directly to the cable car, the proceed down to the old town and begin to explore the old town. You can also begin the wall walk just below the Ploce gate which is the eastern entrance, there is an entrance on the pathway down to the old part of town.

Personally I prefer taking a cab to and from the Gruz during our high season, it is easier and faster. Cost is about 75 Kunas or 10 Euros from Pile area, a bit more to reach the cable car due to our many one way roads.

Late June, we should have summer weather. It has been a miserable wet May and I am running the heater this early morning.

Enjoy Dubrovnik, it is itself a work of art!

Hello Dubrovnitravelady,

Thank you for all the tips! Can you recommend where I can find a street map of this area?

Hello Dubrovnitravelady,

Thank you for all the tips! Can you recommend where I can find a street map of this area?

This is the best I can do for a map, it is 2 pages. Unfortunately the cable car still is not be shown on it as a site. Since much here works very slowly, I expect it to appear maybe next year.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

You have hit the jackpot, with 10,000 plus cruisers arriving on 07 July. All the information for the entire year can be found on the Dubrovnik port authority website.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

This is WONDERFUL:p Thank you so much for the map!:) I think it will be very helpful. Now, if you don't mind:rolleyes:...I need some orientation to the map on the second page. Please tell me about where the cable car is so that I can mark it on my map. Also, you suggested walking down from the cable car to the walled city. I read in one of your postings that the eastern side of the wall is the most picturesque and manageable side to walk (as far as steps). Will we be entering near there when we walk down from the cable car? If not, can you please tell me where I can find the entrance to the eastern side (water side) for the walk on the wall? How busy do you think the

cable car will be in the morning when there are thousands of us there?:D How long do you think the wait will be? Do you know the charge for this and do they accept credit cards for payment?:confused: Okay, now that I have overloaded you with questions, just know I am totally excited and can't wait to see your city! Thank you again and have a nice night or day whenever you read this!

I found this great website about the cable car.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Gail

Hi Gail,

I really enjoyed looking at this. Thank you very much. It really shows the whole city and makes sense.

I am wondering if it helps to prepurchase the cable car tickets ahead of time. I am guessing it cost more than purchasing tickets on site. On the other hand,

does it save us from waiting on a long line?

Edited by travelbugforever

Hi Gail,

I really enjoyed looking at this. Thank you very much. It really shows the whole city and makes sense.

I am wondering if it helps to prepurchase the cable car tickets ahead of time. I am guessing it cost more than purchasing tickets on site. On the other hand,

does it save us from waiting on a long line?

At this time cable car tickets can only be purchased at the entrance. Last week as I rode the bus past the station I noticed the line, and it does move rather quickly since the ride up only takes 4 minutes.

Do note, if you use their directions to reach the entrance, finding the well hidden Buza gate entrance does require walking up the many steps in the old town. Do not confuse Buza gate with the Buza bar, each is located at different sides of the old town.

Enjoy the view, it is breathtaking and well worth the entrance fee.

At this time cable car tickets can only be purchased at the entrance. Last week as I rode the bus past the station I noticed the line, and it does move rather quickly since the ride up only takes 4 minutes.

Do note, if you use their directions to reach the entrance, finding the well hidden Buza gate entrance does require walking up the many steps in the old town. Do not confuse Buza gate with the Buza bar, each is located at different sides of the old town.

Enjoy the view, it is breathtaking and well worth the entrance fee.

Thank you so much for the valuable information and tips you keep giving. I am a bit afraid of steps without railings due to my fear of heights. One photo someone posted showed steps up to the walk. Does one gate have less steps than the other or is this not as imposing as the photo showed?

Gail

Thank you so much for the valuable information and tips you keep giving. I am a bit afraid of steps without railings due to my fear of heights. One photo someone posted showed steps up to the walk. Does one gate have less steps than the other or is this not as imposing as the photo showed?

Gail

All three entrances have railings. If you are concerned about the 87 steps at the main entrance, then begin the walk from the Ploce (plo-cha) area, much less at that entrance. Once you reach the top, you will notice how secure you feel, even I can look down without my heart soaring.

I am okay at the top it's just those steps that make me anxious and more so going down then up! I also read your response about the panoramic tour vs the cable car and I think I would stick with the cable car! I will be there the end of October and am hoping that there are only a few ships in port!

Thanks,

Gail

I am okay at the top it's just those steps that make me anxious and more so going down then up! I also read your response about the panoramic tour vs the cable car and I think I would stick with the cable car! I will be there the end of October and am hoping that there are only a few ships in port! Thanks, Gail

Hi, Gail, our Michigan "neighbor"!! Great that your timing is late October. Less crowds and heat. Hope things work out well for you in this great city.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 81,049 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I am okay at the top it's just those steps that make me anxious and more so going down then up! I also read your response about the panoramic tour vs the cable car and I think I would stick with the cable car! I will be there the end of October and am hoping that there are only a few ships in port!

Thanks,

Gail

My suggestion for you is to begin the walk at the main entrance, which is located just next to the Onofrio fountain. Guest often refer to this as the Pile entrance, but it actually called Spas. The wall can only be walked counter clockwise, thus you will be on the sea side which is the least difficult. The half way point is just above the Maritime Museum, this exit point is easy to navigate due to a wall on your right.

If you opt to begin at Ploce, this will begin the land side which is the more difficult as it is upward to the highest point on the wall.

Please begin at Spas, walk the sea side and exit at the Maritime or Ploce which is only 200 meters further. Do keep in mind, I walk the wall every summer and know it intimately. Know that you will be just fine, the walk is not intimating nor are the steps.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Dubrovnik on 6/19 from 9am-6pm. We are docking at Port Gruz and are in port with five other ships. Understandably, I'm very concerned about crowds, especially on the walls and in town.

We're interested in walking the walls, taking a ride in the cable car, having a drink at Buza II, and walking the Stradun for shopping and grabbing some lunch. The two main priorities are walking the walls and wandering the Stradun area.

1. What would be the most efficient way to do this?

2. On such a crowded day, is it better to grab a taxi or take the bus?

3. While walking the walls, can you re-walk the same portion of the wall you have already walked? Or can you go down and re-enter?

4. Any recommendations for a restaurant in Dubrovnik?

Thanks so much for any advice.

We will be in Dubrovnik on 6/19 from 9am-6pm. We are docking at Port Gruz and are in port with five other ships. Understandably, I'm very concerned about crowds, especially on the walls and in town.

We're interested in walking the walls, taking a ride in the cable car, having a drink at Buza II, and walking the Stradun for shopping and grabbing some lunch. The two main priorities are walking the walls and wandering the Stradun area.

1. What would be the most efficient way to do this?

2. On such a crowded day, is it better to grab a taxi or take the bus?

3. While walking the walls, can you re-walk the same portion of the wall you have already walked? Or can you go down and re-enter?

4. Any recommendations for a restaurant in Dubrovnik?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Actually only 6,000 total cruisers is not a busy day, good thing you are not arriving in August. Two of the very small ships do not arrive until later in the day, the three others at 0700 and Princess at 0900. Doubt if you will arrive to the old part of town until close to 1000. You need to decide what option is best for you, check to see if Princess is offering a shuttle transfer and their cost. Taxi option is fastest, about a 10 minute ride, cost is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, drop off point is the Pile Brsalje (square) next to the Pile gate entrance.

The main entrance to the wall is located just inside the arch closest to the Pile entrance. You can enter at that point, walk the sea side of the wall and exit at the halfway point close to the Maritime Museum. The walk is done counter clockwise only, traffic flow is one way only. If you walk the entire wall, you will exit once you reach the main entrance. Yes you can walk half, go down and reenter again later in the day, with the same ticket.

The Stradun is the main promenade, you will be able to stroll it and shop but I strongly recommend making any purchases on the side streets. The side streets is where you may find some of our locally made products. The town has far too many tacky souvenir shops with junk made in other countries. Most of the outdoor street vendors are not local and if you check closely you may notice "Made in China" on the bottoms of items.

Finding Buza I or II can be a bit tricky, you will need a map and good directions.

As a local resident I am unable to recommend any specific restaurants, as per rules of cruise critic. Do continue your research for a good lunch spot.

Enjoy your time here, do keep in mind that Dubrovnik in itself is a work of art.

Actually only 6,000 total cruisers is not a busy day, good thing you are not arriving in August. Two of the very small ships do not arrive until later in the day, the three others at 0700 and Princess at 0900. Doubt if you will arrive to the old part of town until close to 1000. You need to decide what option is best for you, check to see if Princess is offering a shuttle transfer and their cost. Taxi option is fastest, about a 10 minute ride, cost is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, drop off point is the Pile Brsalje (square) next to the Pile gate entrance.

The main entrance to the wall is located just inside the arch closest to the Pile entrance. You can enter at that point, walk the sea side of the wall and exit at the halfway point close to the Maritime Museum. The walk is done counter clockwise only, traffic flow is one way only. If you walk the entire wall, you will exit once you reach the main entrance. Yes you can walk half, go down and reenter again later in the day, with the same ticket.

The Stradun is the main promenade, you will be able to stroll it and shop but I strongly recommend making any purchases on the side streets. The side streets is where you may find some of our locally made products. The town has far too many tacky souvenir shops with junk made in other countries. Most of the outdoor street vendors are not local and if you check closely you may notice "Made in China" on the bottoms of items.

Finding Buza I or II can be a bit tricky, you will need a map and good directions.

As a local resident I am unable to recommend any specific restaurants, as per rules of cruise critic. Do continue your research for a good lunch spot.

Enjoy your time here, do keep in mind that Dubrovnik in itself is a work of art.

Will I have time to do the wall and the cable car ?, and how far apart the the two. We are in port 7-7