Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

I am looking for advice on hiking up Mount Srđ - I understand that there is a walking path that takes approx 90-120 mins up, via the old fort?

Where does the path start from in the city?

Also, the #10 bus to Cavtat, where does it depart from in Dubrovnik? We were thinking it may be nice to take the ferry there and the bus back to enjoy both sea and land views. Do you know how often the buses run?

Sorry if this is already somewhere in the information - there are just so many pages to go through!

Many thanks for any information

Jane:)

The serpentine goat path begins above our major highway, far above the old town. Not very easy to find from the Gruz harbor or even the town and I don't even know how to begin to explain it. You would probably have to take a cab to the viewpoint and then walk the small 2 lane highway to the path. This year has been a rough summer with excessively high temperatures, which has created some snake problems. The old fort is at the very top of Mt Srd, it is now a museum to the 1991 Homeland War.

The Cavtat ferry departs from the old port in the old town, closest to the far eastern entrance. Ferry cost is 50 Kuna one way, 80 Kuna round trip and takes about 45 minutes to reach Cavtat. The #10 bus runs once an hour, cost is 20 Kuna and will take about 30 minutes. Since the bus originates at the main bus terminal located at Gruz it would be much better to take the bus to Cavtat and return by ferry. Make sure you sit on the right side of the bus for the views from the highway. Croatian Kuna for both bus and ferry, no Euros or Dollars. The Cavtat bus only picks up at a few certain stops, one being right in front of the cable car entrance. Often the bus is already full by the time it reaches that last stop, so you may not have a seat. Guaranteed seat is from the bus terminal located next to the port.

September is still a busy month, we have many European land tourists and town is always busy. Are you sure you have enough time in Dubrovnik to walk the mountain, take the ferry and bus to Cavtat?

thanks so much for the info - maybe we will take the cable car or cab up the mountain and then the bus/ferry trip to Cavtat.

We walked the walls and toured the city last year - what a beautiful day we had!

Thanks again:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dubrokniktravelady,

I, too would like to thank you for all your help you offer on these boards. Hubby and I will be in port on October 17th. How many ships will be in port that day ? We are really interested in kayaking. Is it too late in the year ? I have emailed a couple of companies, but no response from either. Thanks again for all you help ! !

I, too would like to thank you for all your help you offer on these boards. Hubby and I will be in port on October 17th. How many ships will be in port that day ? We are really interested in kayaking. Is it too late in the year ? I have emailed a couple of companies, but no response from either. Thanks again for all you help ! !

Weather here has been dry, hot and humid this summer. We do not have a clue what it will be for mid October. We may still be experiencing some lovely Indian Summer,but it also could be wet and wild...

Normally the kayaking tours plan do not have many trips going, due to possible high winds. You may find a company which is going out on your arrival date, but I would not prebook anything. Wait until you are much closer to arrival and post for the weather update.

Only one Costa in port arriving on 17 October which departs at 1300. Town will be lovely, let us hope for a great Indian Summer day.

My fiancée has decided that she would like to go for a quick swim while we're in Dubrovnik. Since we're going to be walking the walls, it appears that Buza Bar and Banje Beach are the most convenient choices. Is that correct?

I'm a little concerned about leaving our belongings unattended while we swim. I understand that Dubrovnik has less crime than most of the places we're visiting (especially Barcelona and Rome) and probably less petty crime than where we live. However, I'm reluctant to leave my belongings unattended in an unknown environment ... particularly because it's the one stop where we must take our passports ashore.

Do either of those locations have lockers (or other means) to secure our belongings?

My fiancée has decided that she would like to go for a quick swim while we're in Dubrovnik. Since we're going to be walking the walls, it appears that Buza Bar and Banje Beach are the most convenient choices. Is that correct?

I'm a little concerned about leaving our belongings unattended while we swim. I understand that Dubrovnik has less crime than most of the places we're visiting (especially Barcelona and Rome) and probably less petty crime than where we live. However, I'm reluctant to leave my belongings unattended in an unknown environment ... particularly because it's the one stop where we must take our passports ashore.

Do either of those locations have lockers (or other means) to secure our belongings?

While the crime rate in Croatia is low, things happen. There have been a few reports of thefts of wallets and cell phones, but leaving passports on shore - NEVER! Perhaps it would be best if you stayed on shore while you fiancee swims...sorry no lockers on either Banje or Buza.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

If you tend to go for swims when on trips you might want to invest a few dollars in a decent waterproof container to hold your valuables. We particularly like the products from "Splash Caddy" which can be purchased online from many places including Magellans. Our model is a slim nylon fanny pack (sorry in advance to our English friends for using this term) that contains a very heavy clear plastic bag which has a triple seal. This system is also good for SCUBA diving. When we go in the water (for swimming, snorkeling or diving) all of our cash, credit cards, passports, etc are in this pack.

Hank

Perhaps it would be best if you stayed on shore while you fiancee swims...sorry no lockers on either Banje or Buza.

Thanks for the info. Staying ashore was an option that I considered. I'm not sure she'll be comfortable with that either, though. I'm a much stronger swimmer than she is.

If you tend to go for swims when on trips you might want to invest a few dollars in a decent waterproof container to hold your valuables.

We have a couple that we've used for snorkeling, but they're not completely waterproof. I've never had to take my passport into the water before, so I didn't care if my currency, ID or credit cards got wet. The camera case is waterproof, but it's not large enough to fit other items in. A better containter is definitely something to consider, though.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Staying ashore was an option that I considered. I'm not sure she'll be comfortable with that either, though. I'm a much stronger swimmer than she is.

We have a couple that we've used for snorkeling, but they're not completely waterproof. I've never had to take my passport into the water before, so I didn't care if my currency, ID or credit cards got wet. The camera case is waterproof, but it's not large enough to fit other items in. A better containter is definitely something to consider, though.

Thanks.

The Adriatic Sea is nothing like the Pacific or Atlantic Oceans. At Banje you will not find waves or strong currents. Our beaches are not sandy, we have small pebbles and she may need to use water sandals to get into the water. Also do you recommend going off the rocks at Buza bar, the water is very deep on that side of the old town.

Big question is when do you expect to be here? Water may not be warm enough to swim if it is later in the season. The Adriatic is not a warm sea, as it is in Hawaii for example. I also am not a strong swimmer and tend to stay closer to the shoreline and just cool down. She may change her mind once she sees there is no sand, but do invest in a good waterproof container.

Dubrovniktravelady,

Your are a wealth of information and the time you take to answer all of our questions is certainly appreciated. I an sure you have answered my questions along the way, but I would be grateful for some clarification. We are sailing into Dubrovnik on the Carnival Breeze on Sunday, October 21st and will be in port from 9:00 a.m to 7:00 p.m. It is our intention to take the cable car ride, walk the wall and stroll downtown (Placa-Stradum) to see some of the sights. We would like to take the local public transit (Liberatas) to the cable car entrance, but are not sure if the bus runs up there and which Route # to take. I presume we can get on at the Gruz port. Would it then be feasible to walk down to the Ploce entrance to the wall, walkaround (foot traffic moves counter clockwise - correct?) to the city wall entance near the old port, and then strole back along the Stradun to the Pile entrance. Will we be able to catch another liberatas back to the port? I am not concerned about whether the complete wall walk will be too strenuous as my husband and I are in are 40's and are quite fit. Just want to get a feel for whether this plan is feasible given the time we are in port and our preferred reliance on public transport. Thank you for any advice?

Heather

Dubrovniktravelady,

Your are a wealth of information and the time you take to answer all of our questions is certainly appreciated. I an sure you have answered my questions along the way, but I would be grateful for some clarification. We are sailing into Dubrovnik on the Carnival Breeze on Sunday, October 21st and will be in port from 9:00 a.m to 7:00 p.m. It is our intention to take the cable car ride, walk the wall and stroll downtown (Placa-Stradum) to see some of the sights. We would like to take the local public transit (Liberatas) to the cable car entrance, but are not sure if the bus runs up there and which Route # to take. I presume we can get on at the Gruz port. Would it then be feasible to walk down to the Ploce entrance to the wall, walkaround (foot traffic moves counter clockwise - correct?) to the city wall entance near the old port, and then strole back along the Stradun to the Pile entrance. Will we be able to catch another liberatas back to the port? I am not concerned about whether the complete wall walk will be too strenuous as my husband and I are in are 40's and are quite fit. Just want to get a feel for whether this plan is feasible given the time we are in port and our preferred reliance on public transport. Thank you for any advice?

Heather

Hi,

We are also visiting the old city on the Breeze on 25th September (Only Ship in Port, yipee !), and we are also looking to do a similiar itinary to yourself while in port.

After reading a number of reviews and details supplied by Dubrovniktravelady 0n earlier posts, you may wish to consider taking the Cabrio Tour Bus (50kn) which you can catch at stop 1 (Bus Station) http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr

get off at stop no 8, catch the chairlift, explore the city, then get back on at the same stop on a later bus, thus complete the city tour circuit and return back to the Port Area at Stop 1.

I have e-mailed the Cabrio operator and they have confirmed that this is ok to do, subject to seats being available on the bus when you get back on.

Not only is this a economic means of travel between the port and the old city, but you get to see the other parts of Dubrovnik region that you may have not had the opportunity to see.

The full circuit takes approx 1 1/2 hrs, the timetable is published on the web-site.

If there are 5 of you from the cruise getting on the bus, you can obtain a further 20% group discount.

Lee

Dear all,

Just returned from a fantastic trip on Breeze.

Dubrovnik is indeed a beautiful country but a word of warning.

Next to the ice-cream shop on the main thoroughfare

(to the right of the ice cream shop as you begin the walk),there is a tunnel with a restaurant situated within it. I can't quite remember the name of the restuarant but it is something like Kanoba L????

To cut a long story short the woman shouted at my family and me to wipe up ice-cream that had dripped onto the pavement next to 'her tunnel'.

I wiped the ice- cream off and went to put the tissue into the bin when she started to tell us that we couldn't use her bin.At the same time the bin lining was being changed by a cleaner. When the bin liner was changed we used the bin.She then complained that we used the bin and made it dirty by putting ice - cream into it.

She became racially abusive and told us to go away. At this point I was finding it hard to keep my cool but still managed to.

Before deciding to try and move us from where we were,my sons caught this woman picking her nose and handling the menus at the same time!

You have been warned.

Shaza.

When we were there I went swimming daily in a little cove on the far side of the castle- in fact, if you looked straight up you could see the castle. DubrovnikTravelLady, is that one of the beaches listed above? It was a public beach, there was sand, and because it was a bit sheltered you weren't out in the full currents. It's a short walk from the main square- maybe 10-15 minutes down a street with the Croatian version of "Tobacco" in the name. In September the water temp was fine for me. Since I was staying in a hotel nearby all I had with me was a T-shirt, sandals and a room key and they were always there when I got back, but I agree that it would be better if one person is always on shore with the valuables.

Edited by Gloria Mundi

When we were there I went swimming daily in a little cove on the far side of the castle- in fact, if you looked straight up you could see the castle. DubrovnikTravelLady, is that one of the beaches listed above? It was a public beach, there was sand, and because it was a bit sheltered you weren't out in the full currents. It's a short walk from the main square- maybe 10-15 minutes down a street with the Croatian version of "Tobacco" in the name. In September the water temp was fine for me. Since I was staying in a hotel nearby all I had with me was a T-shirt, sandals and a room key and they were always there when I got back, but I agree that it would be better if one person is always on shore with the valuables.

The small cover is not listed above, it can be difficult to find the entrance for guests who are not staying in the area.

I know the water at Big Onofrio's fountain is good for refilling water bottles. Are there other readily available drinking fountains? I'm trying to decide how much water I need to be carting around.

I've heard Dubrovačka kuća as a good place to buy locally made souvenirs. Where is it located? (I have the map DubrovnikTravelLady has linked to as a reference.) Does the market by Rector's Palace and the Cathedral also have locally made souvenirs?

The swimming issues have been averted. I talked my fiancée out of swimming in Dubrovnik. But the information provided by everyone was useful for persuading her, especially the water temperature. She grew up with the Gulf of Mexico. I grew up with the Great Lakes. The water at Dubrovnik sounds comfortable to me. It sounds cold to her.

Thanks again everyone for the information.

Croatia

We had a dynamic tour of Dubrovnik, with our guide, Niksa from Tours by Locals. It started off not so well at first, and it was our fault. We missed him while getting off the ship and waited for him for some time. I re-boarded the ship and called Tours by Locals who contacted him via his cell phone. At that point I spotted him standing near the ships ramp, where he had been waiting alreading for quite some time. Once I got off again, I apologized for leaving him standing in the sun for so long. He was quite good natured in his response. He loaded us into his lovely BMW and we were off to the Pile Gate, the welcoming arms of Dubrovnik. We saw the Big Onofrios fountain where we were able to get some fresh water. We saw the Church of St. Blaze and the Cathedral and the Franciscan Monastery. He took us away from the main street that was clogged with tourists to the private back streets, where the citizens live, and where it was cooler. These were beautiful locations where we climbed stairs and marveled at how well crafted these buildings were. We clambered amid the narrow roads and wandered among the lovely alleyways, snapping photos all the way. He even showed us the house he grew up in, greeting his neighbors along the way. Many of the homes are passed down from generation to generation and everyone knows one another. He showed us where the first orphanage that was ever built was. He then took us to the edge of the city, where the locals go to swim. He said that in general, locals prefer not to go to the beaches but swim from the rocks instead.

After our city tour, Niksa drove us up to the hilltop of Srjg. Here we could see all of Dubrovnik and several other countries into the mountaintops. It was strikingly beautiful. We had lunch in the wonderful restaurant with the white umbrellas, called, of course, Panorama. We had a fantastic lunch. I ordered a local Croatian dish of calamari which was the best meal that I had during our 2 week European tour.

On our way down from the mountaintop, Niksa took us to what had formerly been a luxury hotel but was not just a remnant, having been bombed during the war. During our tour he talked to us a bit about the war and how it had affected his family. He had to hide in the basement of his home with his 9 month old daughter for weeks while the bombing occurred. I wanted my children to learn a bit about the war so that they could have an appreciation of the safe and almost idyllic life that they have here in America. Niksa was so eager to share everything with us about his country, of which he is understandably, so very proud. He even talked about his feelings about joining the EU.

Later, he drove the kids back to the cruise ship and dropped my husband off so that we could walk the city walls, which of course was striking, even in the close to 100 degree heat. We knew that we would have regretted it if we had missed this part of Dubrovnik. It is here where we bid Niska goodbye, and thanked him for his generosity. We could not have asked for a more outstanding and enthusiastic guide for our tour of Dubrovnik. We will never forget Niksa.

We will also be in port 10/17 on the Odyssey but we don't kayak. Want to go for cab ride up to top and visit the walled city and eat lunch at Komorda,

SassyW

Edited by sassyw

We will also be in port 10/17 on the Odyssey but we don't kayak. Want to go for cab ride up to top and visit the walled city and eat lunch at Komorda, SassyW

Sounds like a super plan by SassyW. That Panoramic taxi tour is what we did and then later, we had a great lunch at Komorda. Loved their food and super, spectacular views. Enjoy your October cruise.

From the Daily Mail in London last month, they had this headline: "Croatia's crowning glory: Could Dubrovnik be the ultimate city break?" on a story/profile with lots of pictures that is very glowing on this wonderful city and its people. They note worries on the many ships that dock and tender there. The writer describes these crowds as to what "amounts to an invasion of sorts, and one that is very much the norm in Dubrovnik. Coping with one's fellow tourists - or, ideally, outflanking them - is crucial in this spectacular, walled city where the population is less than 50,000 but which welcomes hundreds of thousands of visitors a year."

There are many nice pictures and details connected with this story. If you are planning an upcoming trip to Dubrovnik, this story is worth checking out. Here are some more of the highlights: "Everyone we meet is friendly and helpful. The city itself is spotlessly clean. There are no hawkers, no tacky shops, no ugly fast-food joints. And very little hassle for what is one of the world's stellar UNESCO sites. There are, of course, lots of people doing exactly what we are doing. If I were running a cruise company I would bring my passengers here every day of the week because Dubrovnik is so accessible, so much smaller than I had imagined and utterly adorable as a result. It can be done in a couple of hours if you don't dawdle. But a couple of days is a far wiser option."

The writer also skillfully summarized: "The earthquakes of 1667 and 1979 took their toll, but it's the six-month siege in 1991 following the break-up of the former Yugoslavia that still hangs menacingly in the air. As you enter through Ploce Gate, there's a map showing where the shells fell. They fell everywhere. But such has been the painstaking restoration work and the money pumped into Dubrovnik that only those with a trained eye would spot the difference between old and new. At times, the city reminds us of Corfu Town; at others, Venice, Rome, Portofino and even parts of ancient France, all in miniature. The little cathedral has the most lovely façade and is a feminine web wisdom."

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2186676/Croatia-Could-Dubrovnik-ultimate-city-break.html#ixzz25Xcxsylq

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 101,173 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Dubrovnik Travel Lady, what a wonderful treasure you are!:)

We will arrive via cruise ship Oct 21. I would like to know if you can recommend, in terms of quality and price, the best places to shop for jewellery and neckties. I am particularly interested in seeing konavoske puce. Is Od Puca St the best area?

Also wondering about the restaurant at Vila Koruna, which I think is in Mila Ston. Is this a bit too far to consider in one day's visit? Is there a seafood place in or around Dubrovnik that would have comparable seafood?

Thank you for any opinions you have on these subjects!

Pam

Hi Dubrovnik Travel Lady, what a wonderful treasure you are!:)

We will arrive via cruise ship Oct 21. I would like to know if you can recommend, in terms of quality and price, the best places to shop for jewellery and neckties. I am particularly interested in seeing konavoske puce. Is Od Puca St the best area?

Also wondering about the restaurant at Vila Koruna, which I think is in Mila Ston. Is this a bit too far to consider in one day's visit? Is there a seafood place in or around Dubrovnik that would have comparable seafood?

Thank you for any opinions you have on these subjects!

Pam

As a local resident, the rules of cruise critic do not allow me recommend any particular shops, restaurants in Dubrovnik. General answer to your questions - yes seafood is on the menus of most restaurants in town. The town of Mali Ston is about an hours drive from Dubrovnik, a leisurely 2 hour lunch and return back to the port would be your decision. There are many, many jewelry stores in the old part of town. Many are good and some sell knockoffs made in China. Dubrovnik has only 3 goldsmiths who are making the traditional Konavoske jewelry, it is from them I would purchase only. If you are just interested in looking, you will see many designs displayed in all of the shops.

Neckties are sold in several shops, they are not inexpensive here.

Good luck, I wish you good hunting.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

We will once again be visiting your beautiful city on October 31. Last year Dubrovnik became my favorite port. You always provide so much helpful information.

Since we walked the wall last year and visited quite a few of the attractions in town, this year we want to start with taking the cable car to Mt. Srd and visit the Imperial Museum. I went back through many of your posts and have found that it is probably best to take a taxi from Gruz Harbor to the cable car entrance on the lower level. When we come back down to the lower level, will it be easy to find our way to the Ploce Gate entrance. It seems as if there are some confusing directions. We want to go back into the old city and do some more exploring. Our plan is to take the taxi back to Gruz from the Pile entrance.

Sherrie

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

We will once again be visiting your beautiful city on October 31. Last year Dubrovnik became my favorite port. You always provide so much helpful information.

Since we walked the wall last year and visited quite a few of the attractions in town, this year we want to start with taking the cable car to Mt. Srd and visit the Imperial Museum. I went back through many of your posts and have found that it is probably best to take a taxi from Gruz Harbor to the cable car entrance on the lower level. When we come back down to the lower level, will it be easy to find our way to the Ploce Gate entrance. It seems as if there are some confusing directions. We want to go back into the old city and do some more exploring. Our plan is to take the taxi back to Gruz from the Pile entrance.

Sherrie

Ploce gate is easy to find from the cable car. Go down the steps, you will come out of the trees with a parking lot on your right. Walk towards the city wall, directly in front of you, cross the road and keep to the left until you reach the entrance. Lovely views from this part of town of the old harbor. Walk down the Stradun to Pile gate, taxis will be waiting to take you back to Gruz. Enjoy your day here.

Thank you Lee! I hadn't considered doing this, but I may now!

Hi,

We are also visiting the old city on the Breeze on 25th September (Only Ship in Port, yipee !), and we are also looking to do a similiar itinary to yourself while in port.

After reading a number of reviews and details supplied by Dubrovniktravelady 0n earlier posts, you may wish to consider taking the Cabrio Tour Bus (50kn) which you can catch at stop 1 (Bus Station) http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr

get off at stop no 8, catch the chairlift, explore the city, then get back on at the same stop on a later bus, thus complete the city tour circuit and return back to the Port Area at Stop 1.

I have e-mailed the Cabrio operator and they have confirmed that this is ok to do, subject to seats being available on the bus when you get back on.

Not only is this a economic means of travel between the port and the old city, but you get to see the other parts of Dubrovnik region that you may have not had the opportunity to see.

The full circuit takes approx 1 1/2 hrs, the timetable is published on the web-site.

If there are 5 of you from the cruise getting on the bus, you can obtain a further 20% group discount.

Lee

Do you know for certain where the Breeze docks? We are on the same sailing as you are!

Happy travels.

Ploce gate is easy to find from the cable car. Go down the steps, you will come out of the trees with a parking lot on your right. Walk towards the city wall, directly in front of you, cross the road and keep to the left until you reach the entrance. Lovely views from this part of town of the old harbor. Walk down the Stradun to Pile gate, taxis will be waiting to take you back to Gruz. Enjoy your day here.

Dubrovniktravelady...thank you so much for your quick reply. Those are very easy directions and help tremendously. I wish the ship could stay overnight. There is so much to see and do in Dubrovnik. You are a lucky lady to be able to live there.

I was just reading some earlier posts--I think by you--talking about a Chocolate Bajadera Torte that is made fresh at one of the shops near St. Blaise Church. I have already added that place onto my Dubrovnik map that I printed our from the Tourist Board site. I'm on a quest to find some great Kras chocolate! I just hope the Torte doesn't sell out that day before we get there:).