Canopy Tour - I need some........

ciship

Encouragement and some GUTS!! All the members of my family are going on the Los Veranos Canopy Tour except me. I am terrified! My husband has expressed that this is a family "thing" and he is going to be really bummed if I don't go on the tour with him.

I'm so scared. For those of you who have done this, give me some encouraging words please!!!

Seriously, I am a huge chicken when it comes to heights. I fell from a two story ladder once and since then, I try to keep my feet on flat ground...but, I am going on the canopy tour soon because after polling tons of people who have done it, all of them said it was awesome. This comes from people who said they were so scared at first that they almost chickened out, but the staff was so cool and helpful, they went ahead and then found themselves sad when the tour was over.

A few people said the experience was so wonderful that they went back and did it again the next day. Conquering a fear can be one of the best experiences of your life.

With that said, I am still going to wear sweat pants and a pair of Depends in case I wet myself! :)

It's great to hear you're up for the challenge. I'm going to try it in March if I can get a reservation. My kids are a little hesitant but I live for a bit of excitement the few times we go travelling.

Considering you live in PV I'm surprised you haven't tried it earlier! After the tour, what ideas would you recommend a family of four see later before returning back to the ship's pier? :p

I suggest you go early, then after you come back to the office, have the staff (or maybe someone on the tour who knows the area) point you to Olas Altas and Los Muertos beach area.

You are in a mecca of shopping, art galleries, Sr. Frog's, beachside bars and beach clubs, you name it, it is all here and in walking distance. Plus the Rio Cuale Isalnd and Flea Market is also in walking distance.

Key streets are Ignacio Vallarta, Insurgentes, Olas Altas, Basilio Badillo...

Places to check out for shopping: Viva, Serafina, Paty Gallardo and Lucy's Cu CU Cabana all on Basilio Badillo- also the Galeria Dante across from Viva, a great art gallery.

Seriously, you will find a ton of places to check out in this area- a great way to spend the day!

Just got back from MexRiv. Husband did the Los Veranos tour with other friends from the ship and HAD A BLAST. I couldn't to the zip lines due to physical constraints, but I was able to go up to Los Veranos in the van and watch (take pix) for $12 round trip. There is a fabulous restaurant up there, too. Sooooo goooood! We bought the video of his group doing the zip lines and have had soooo much fun watching and re-watching ... showing it to friends.

I am so glad he decided to do this excursion (not booked thru cruise ship) ... thru the Los Veranos web site. I was able to sit and talk to the owner for the entire hour and a half that hubby was swinging thru the trees. They are a very interesting American couple ... hope you get to meet them, too!

Have fun! It was THE BEST thing we did on our cruise!!!!

~Dianne

Bennett'sCruise,

So glad this was a good tour for you all. We are booked in March for the same. My question to you is.....could you describe the swimming and slides they are supposed to have around Pancho's restaurant? I have seen a picture, but thought you might have some imput?

Also, what time was your Canopy Tour and when was it over?

Thanks much!

Click this link and look for the gas pump.

http://www.blue-map.com/showmap.asp?map=Puerto%20Vallarta&coords=F12

This is where the Canopy tour office is, and the area that I described for shopping, etc....Key streets are Ignacio Vallarta, Insurgentes, Olas Altas, Basilio Badillo...

When you are on the map page, on the menu bar on the left, click on Puerto Vallarta to see a map of the bay, then zoom in on the areas you want to see.

Question BZY1???

Since we have to sign up for the Dolphin Swim with the cruise ship and the cost includes all transportation, do you think it makes more sense to have the ship take us back to the ship and then we hire a cab to go to Los Veranos Canopy Tour or should we take a cab from the Dolphin Swim location at Vallarta Adventures? Since I don't know the area, will it save us money to go as far back as the ship and then take a cab from there or is that way out of our way and we will just have to go back the way we came from?

Help!!!

I saw only one water slide. It seemed a little high off the water, but the kids who were using it were having a blast. The swimming was in the river ... it was very hot, so it looked very refreshing.

Our Canopy tour was for 11 a.m.(PV time) We got off the ship and took a cab over to their office in PV. Waited there until 11 and the van took us up to Los Veranos. It was about a 45 min. drive. The van driver gives you commentary all the way up which is very interesting.

The actual zip line takes about an hour and a half. We had lunch at their restaurant (VERY GOOD!), and were taken back down the hill by the van. Got a cab at their office and were back to the dock by 2:30. We needed to be back on the ship by 4:30, so we had a little time to shop around.

Our ship is in PV from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

With the great info you gave me, if we can be back at the ship by 2:30, we can take a cab to the Dolphin Swim tour for our kids and take one of their late afternoon tours and still be back to the ship in plenty of time. Don't you think?

Ciship, How early were you able to make reservations for the canopy tour for March of 2005? It sounds like you have a confirmed reservation. I thought I could only book 4 weeks in advance. I'll be in PV on Tues March 15 2005 on the Princess Diamond. My kids and I really want to book the 11:00 time slot on that day. I don't want to miss out by not booking as soon as I can since March is a busy time with cruisers.

Bennett's Cruise, Let's confirm the cab fee once and for all, how much does it cost for a yellow cab to take you to the office and did you pay in US$. If my ship arrives at 7:00 am, what time would you recommend I book?

What did you eat at the restaurant there? How often do the vans run, to get back to the office if I decide to use the slides and swim a bit with the kids. Our ship departs at 6:00 pm, but I'd like to look around where bzy1 has mentioned.

Thanks for your input. I'm always finding helpful advice from reading your comments. :p

We got a taxi (actually a large Suburban) right outside the ship's terminal. You can negotiate with the driver. There were 6 in our group ... he charged us $4 each to go to the Los Veranos office downtown. He also took 2 more people somewhere else downtown (they also paid $4). We caught a little (yellow, I guess) cab back and it was $3/each (there were only 4 of us on the ride back). We paid everything in US dollars. Just make sure you nail down the price BEFORE you get in the cabs.

I don't know how early they begin at Los Veranos. We were given an 11 start. There was a group just ahead of us that had begun at 9 a.m. ... they weren't off a ship, just staying somewhere in PV. That would be a really good time for you to begin (9 a.m.) ... then your kids could swim, etc. and you could eat lunch there. My husband had chicken enchilada and I had the chicken chimechonga. We got our plates and then divided them so we each had some of the other's (does that make sense??) Anyway, while the group was swinging thru the trees, I sat and talked to the owner (she and her husband moved there from Colorado to start this business), and she had recommended the chimechonga. The food was SOOOO GOOD! Paid in US dollars.

One thing I noticed ... the people who went on the zip lines, but didn't stay for lunch, still had to sit around and wait for those of us who were eating. The van goes back down the hill when he has a full load. They also had open air jungle buses, but they weren't operating that day ... that would have been fun!!!

Make sure you take (put on) bug spray ... the mosquitos were out in full force. (it really is in the JUNGLE!!!) We had put on bug repelliant and were not bothered by them.

It's a gorgeous place and you will have so much fun! You need to buy the video (or DVD) Video is $30, DVD is $40. But they are of YOUR tour ... so you will enjoy showing this to all your friends when you get back home! They also sell t-shirts (which we bought!!)

Wish we could go back!

BTW: I asked the owner why they aren't listed with the cruise lines as an excursion option. She said because the cruise lines will expect a block of spaces to be held for them with no guarantee that they will be filled ... and then the cruise lines want 40% of whatever the fee is when the space is filled. That's why Los Veranos can charge a little less. It is soo worth it.

BTW: did you check out our pix on the other thread? I had a couple of Los Veranos ... but I took mostly video there so not many stills.

~Dianne

When were you successfully able to make reservations? One month before or earlier? Do you think most people carry at least $300.00 cash in their pocket to pay for this tour, lunch, DVD, cab ride both ways, shopping in town for a family of four? Is it something I should be worried about?

Thank You. :rolleyes:

I booked only one week before leaving on our cruise. That's when I finally talked hubby into doing it!

They take credit cards!! At least that's what we used to pay for video and t-shirt. I paid the guy in cash for the tour ... they may take credit for that, too. Just e-mail the gal at Los Veranos and ask her. We put our lunch on credit card, too. (it's a cruiseline MasterCard so we need to get those cruise points!!!)

You get a discount for booking on internet, which is cool. And, they had in their records all the correct informationwhen we got there. Also, the guy I paid for the tour didn't have the correct change and he said he'd bring it to me. A half-hour later I had forgotten completely about my change, but the guy finds me and gives it to me. It's all very civilized:)

And, no ... I don't think you have to worry about carrying that amount of cash.

The reason why I asked about carrying cash is because I'm from Canada. For me to bring money from the here in Canada, I pay the exchange rate to convert to US dollars and I'm holding on to $234.00 US cash for the tour plus cab fare, plus $$$ lunch, shopping from Friday to Tuesday, the day of my excursion. I am not sure if it's cheaper for me to pay the 5% service charge for using a credit card at the tour. Later I pay the bill from pesos to Canadian dollars when I get back home. Who wants to do the math for me?? :eek:

Cool Canadian,

I booked through PV Pam by email for the Los Veranos Canopy Tour. I just booked this week for my March cruise. Pamela can give you the discount as well. Or you can book through the Los Veranos website. Sylvie will be your contact there.

ciship

CoolCanadian,

There is no need to convert your CDN into US dollars then into pesos- you can exchange Canadian dollars in Mexico at the casa de cambios for pesos. This way you do not lose on the double exchange.

No need to worry about carry larger amounts of money. Take what you need for the day out of your room safe. Do not flash large amounts around, and put your wallet where it won't fall out easily.

If you book on the net, you can pay with a credit card for the tour itself and use the pesos for the can ride, lunch, etc.

BTW: yellows taxis should not be charging PER PERSON- you pay the fare for the ride, up to four people.... from the Marina to the Canopy office in a yellow taxi should not be more than 60 pesos. (one person or four people, it is the same rate)

can anyone tell me if this is the tour that royal caribbean offers on there excursion page???? they say the tour is five hours, but what wuld i be doing for five hours, would i zipping for five hours. im really interested, thanks in advance!!!! eet this what the web site says.tl Approximate Duration: 5 Hours

Adult: 88.00 (USD) | Child: 88.00 (USD) yellow.gifThe lush emerald green tropical forests that surround Puerto Vallarta provide a biological paradise of rich diversity and a stunning profusion of tropical fauna. The Canopy Adventure gives you a chance to see this world from a unique perspective. With the assistance of an experienced guide you can sail from tree to tree and platform to platform on a network of pulleys and horizontal cables that are mounted between 10 and 70 feet above the tropical forest floor. The adventure consists of 14 observation platforms, 11 horizontal traverses, a "Tarzan" swing, two hanging bridges and a thrilling vertical descent. You will have a knowledgeable guide to assist you every step of the way from when you leave the ground, until you rappel back down to the forest floor. Minimum age to participate is 18 years old. Maximum weight to participate is 250 pounds and minimum height, 48 inches. Comfortable clothing that you don't might getting dirty and closed toed shoes are recommended. Camera and video camera may not be carried during the Canopy Adventure. This tour is not recommended for persons who are pregnant or those with heart trouble, seizure disorders, problems with balance, or back, shoulder or neck disabilities. Participants should be aware there are inherent risks associated with this activity

years old. Maximum weight to participate is 250 pounds and minimum height, 48 inches. Comfortable clothing that you don't might getting dirty and closed toed shoes are recommended. Camera and video camera may not be carried during the Canopy Adventure. This tour is not recommended for persons who are pregnant or those with heart trouble, seizure disorders, problems with balance, or back, shoulder or neck disabilities. Participants should be aware there are inherent risks associated with this activity

Archived