How long a drive is it from Miami airport to port of Miami?

jhdoublin

I have myself in another situation- renting a car in Orlando and need to drop off in Miami- how long of drive is it from Miami airport? I have to rent a car seat-never done that-is there a stiff penalty for one way car seat rental? Also- would be on shuttle without car seat?

It's about 20 mins. from the airport, assuming no traffic delays....it's pretty straightforward.

I would drop the car at MIA and take a cab from the airport to the port....$24 will do it, and you won't have to wait for a shuttle bus to fill and you won't have to board with a busload of others!

If you take a shuttle, it's a bus with no seat belts, so no car seat.

It's about 20 mins. from the airport, assuming no traffic delays....it's pretty straightforward.

I would drop the car at MIA and take a cab from the airport to the port....$24 will do it, and you won't have to wait for a shuttle bus to fill and you won't have to board with a busload of others!

If you take a shuttle, it's a bus with no seat belts, so no car seat.

I can't find a way to take the car seat either way- can you? I have to leave it at the car rental company. I guess 20 minutes isn't bad-considering the ports -well their driving leaves nothing to be desired!:eek:

This cruise is killing you! You REALLY need a vacation after this one...lol. :D

Ok, so let me try to figure this out for you...you are renting a car in Orlando and driving to the drop off location at the Miami airport. Correct?

Then a shuttle (what shuttle?) will take you from the drop off location to the port of Miami.

Airport to Port of Miami is 8 miles and approx 20 minutes.

I am confused about your car seat rental, one way comment. So explain further please....:D

This cruise is killing you! You REALLY need a vacation after this one...lol. :D

Ok, so let me try to figure this out for you...you are renting a car in Orlando and driving to the drop off location at the Miami airport. Correct?

Then a shuttle (what shuttle?) will take you from the drop off location to the port of Miami.

Airport to Port of Miami is 8 miles and approx 20 minutes.

I am confused about your car seat rental, one way comment. So explain further please....:D

Yea-confusing I know- I'll probably have a heart attack from all the stress and miss the boat:rolleyes:

The car seat will be a rental from the car company so I can't take it with me.

Yea-confusing I know- I'll probably have a heart attack from all the stress and miss the boat:rolleyes:

The car seat will be a rental from the car company so I can't take it with me.

So, you are renting the car in Orlando with a car seat.

What about THIS....

There are 2 adults in your group, or not?

One adult drives the other AND the kids to the port - drops everyone off. Takes the car back to the rental company at the airport.

And the car rental shuttle takes you to the port???? Are you SURE?

The only reason I am asking is that I was promised by Enterprise (in FLL not Miami) that they had a shuttle "to the port" - they didn't and I ended up paying for one expensive taxi.

So, you are renting the car in Orlando with a car seat.

What about THIS....

There are 2 adults in your group, or not?

One adult drives the other AND the kids to the port - drops everyone off. Takes the car back to the rental company at the airport.

And the car rental shuttle takes you to the port???? Are you SURE?

The only reason I am asking is that I was promised by Enterprise (in FLL not Miami) that they had a shuttle "to the port" - they didn't and I ended up paying for one expensive taxi.

I thought about that too! The only thing is dropping us off first means we are at the port for over 1 hour-and my little one won't sit still for more than a couple of minutes!!!! I just pray we can get through check-in at the port without a melt down!

Looks like this is my only option. I might get a downtown hotel and stay there while hubby takes car back and then all taxi to the port-

I hope like heck there is a shuttle!!!! There better be:mad:

Thanks

Are you getting the rental back after the cruise? If so....

Did you price out renting from simplywheelz.com (hertz off airport at Orlando) for the entire time. Parking at the port?

We had the same rental car issues with our trip in April. We flew into Orlando and had the same issues, getting a rental and us to Ft Lauderdale. When we priced getting it and dropping it off before the cruise, paying transfers and then getting a new one again after the cruise vs. keeping one the entire time and the port charges for parking. It ended up being less expensive. Weird I know, but it was. Simplywheelz is only in Orlando and was very inexpensive.

Just a thought.

Have you considered bringing your own car seat?

Yes it can be some what bulky, but it is great to have not just for in the vehicle. Under age 4 we hauled around a Britax for DS. We checked it in at the gate for the plane. It was also handy whenever we needed our hands free; checking in, eating, etc. Now that he is older we still carry a Graco backless booster seat; which can be used in taxis and fits in the planes overhead compartment.

Last month we saw shuttle buses from Thrifty, Dollar, and Hertz at the Port of Miami. Taxi was a set fee of $24 for up to 5 people from the airport to the Port of Miami. The person in charge at the taxi stand even chose a taxi with a large trunk for all of our stuff. If you decide to take the rental shuttle to the airport and then a taxi to the port you need to do the following. Ask the rental car shuttle driver to drop you off at the first available gate. Go inside the terminal with your luggage and look for an elevator. Go down one floor and go back outside. Then look for a lighted/occupied taxi stand. The person working there will get you the taxi. Tell your driver which ship and when you are dropped off there will be a longshoreman waiting to take your luggage. Tips help smooth the process.

I have myself in another situation- renting a car in Orlando and need to drop off in Miami- how long of drive is it from Miami airport? I have to rent a car seat-never done that-is there a stiff penalty for one way car seat rental? Also- would be on shuttle without car seat?

Miami Airport to Port of Miami is approx 10 miles. It can take up to 30-40 minutes with traffic. In Florida there is no extra charge for a one way car rental as long as the pick up and drop off are both in Florida. See if you can find a drop off location nearer the Port of Miami. Also, Florida has tough car seat rules and even in a shuttle bus you _should_ use an age/weight appropriate child seat. Most common shuttle buses won't have it unless you arrange it before hand. If your child is allowed to use a booster seat, bring it with you from home. It is very light and cheaper ones cost $20.

Archived