Need opinion and possibly advice

dustpan

Me and my DH are going to be sailing on Norwegian Sky in July. I know they have a "freestyle" dresscode but I would like to dress up on at least one night as this cruise will be in celebration of our anniversary. Here is what im struggling with. I have a couple of tattoos on each of my sholders, and I am finding it difficult in finding dressier clothes that arent halter style or sleeveless. Should I just get whatever fits the best whether it shows my tats or try to find something to cover them up? It doesnt bother me that they show, or else I would have never gotten them. But there is always at least a few snooty people out there that for some reason get offended by my body art. I know I shouldnt care what anyone thinks but still....Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advace...

If they don't "bother" you, wear what you want! They won't "bother" anyone else!

I LIKE offending "snooty" people---they deserve to be "offended!"!!!!!!!

If you're ashamed of your "body art", use make-up to cover it. Otherwise, show it off---that's why you did it, didn't you?

I have 2, including 1 on my ankle. I don't try to hide them. If I'm wearing a swimsuit and someone sees the one on my thigh, I don't particularly care if anyone is offended. If I wear a kneelength dress at night, I don't cover up my ankle. It's part of me and I'm not going to hide them just to protect someone else's sensibilities.

Mom has 3. She just said that if anyone has a problem with her tattoos, it's their problem and not her problem.

I can't speak for NCL, but in general ANY cruise ship I have been on has the most chilly dining rooms you could imagine. I always need a wrap or cardigan of some sort. That might solve your dilemma.

As for the snooty people once you leave the dining room and take it off, let them ruin their own time with their judgements and you go on your merry way :)

If you spent the time and money for tats, you should definitely not feel you need to hide them. Otherwise, why get them in the first place? You got them because it's you, and you enjoy them. You should never feel you need to hide them, except in a business office if you work in one.

While I don't care for the look of tattoos, I don't think it's any of my business what someone else does to their body, and I would never dream of saying anything or even looking askance at them.

If you like the tattoos, don't worry what anyone else is thinking. If you'd prefer not to show them when you're dressed up, there are make-up products designed to cover them; covermark is one.

Honestly, I don't think anyone will say anything derogatory to you about your tattoos. I've never seen "snooty" people on cruises who will approach someone and comment on their dress, hair, makeup, etc. Sure, people may make a comment to their friends, just as they may comment on my choice of dress or toenail colour or jewellery ~ and that's no different than walking into any bar or restaurant. It's a fallacy that cruises are filled with people who are going to lambaste others over their choice in dress or decoration as they walk into the dining room.

You all are right...And I got them because I like them...The only reason I was a little concerned about them being exposed was because people have made mean remarks to me about them...I shouldnt care, and most the time I dont, but sometimes the things people say can hurt my feelings...Dont get me wrong, I do have tougher skin than that. Im just going to wear what makes me feel good, no matter if people can see my art or not...Thanks everyone!

Honestly' date=' I don't think anyone will say anything derogatory to you about your tattoos. I've never seen "snooty" people on cruises who will approach someone and comment on their dress, hair, makeup, etc. Sure, people may make a comment to their friends, just as they may comment on my choice of dress or toenail colour or jewellery ~ and that's no different than walking into any bar or restaurant. It's a fallacy that cruises are filled with people who are going to lambaste others over their choice in dress or decoration as they walk into the dining room.[/quote']

Totally agree!

As for the snooty people once you leave the dining room and take it off, let them ruin their own time with their judgements and you go on your merry way.

You sure are an authority on what snooty people think and do. ;) Thanks for sharing the info.

Dustpan,

You got tattoo's because you like them and at this point in history, a woman with ink is not an unusual sight. If people want to make negative comments about another person they will find something to pick on, whether it's their tats, their makeup, their hair, their clothes, etc. It's a shame that someone would say something nasty to your face, but the world is filled with rude people. So, if you'd walk into a fine restaurant at home with ink showing, it's no different on a cruise ship.

Honestly, I don't think anyone will say anything derogatory to you about your tattoos. I've never seen "snooty" people on cruises who will approach someone and comment on their dress, hair, makeup, etc. Sure, people may make a comment to their friends, just as they may comment on my choice of dress or toenail colour or jewellery ~ and that's no different than walking into any bar or restaurant. It's a fallacy that cruises are filled with people who are going to lambaste others over their choice in dress or decoration as they walk into the dining room.

I totally agree. I think people here on CC have more attitude than people actually on cruise ships.

Tattoos are so commonplace any more, it's really no big deal. I don't have any nor will I get one, but I've been seeing them on people of all shapes and ages for so many years now I don't really think anything of them any longer.

Wear the dress you love and feel good in :)

I agree with the poster who remarked on someone saying something snooty about your tattoos. Most people aren't so uncouth. Maybe the person who made that remark is.

Find a dress that flatters them, if at all possible.

Do what makes you feel comfortable and pleases you. You dress for yourself, not anyone else.

I guess when you choose to get the tats then you have to accept all the consequences, good and bad, that come with them.

As long as it isn't one big naked lady. We have a parent who called the ACLU because our principal told him to cover up the naked lady while on campus (fully anatomical, mind you). That was nasty. However, most tats are pretty or mean something, so show them off!

I'm NOT a fan of tat's, but based on what I see on any given day, I am in the minority. They are everywhere, and on men/women, boys/girls of all ages! Again, not my thing, but I say live and let live. JMHO

Wear what fits your body type and suits your style! Enjoy.

Ask yourself how you want to look in the pictures and go with that. You see people dressed to the nines with tat's all the time these days. I am personally not a fan but I would defend anyone's right to do with thier bodies what they want.

Archived