Excursion questions-grand caymen, costa maya & belize city

I will be cruising in a little less than a year on Liberty of the Seas again. We loved the boat so much we are doing the western route this time. We are pretty sure we know what we are doing on one of the islands, but need some ideas about the others. We are in our late 20's with a 2 year old at the time of the cruise and my in laws in their mid 50's. We had heard about a possible turtle farm in grand caymen, and possibly something called malacon in costa maya. Please advise:

Grand Caymen

Costa Maya

Beliza City

We are adventure seakers, but now have a little one to consider and do not want to pawn her off on the in laws. Thanks for your advise in advance!

We've done the turtle Farm and Hell in Grand Caymen and it was very nice. We did the tour thru the ship and it was double the amount that I saw you could get last week when I was in Grand Caymen. There were drivers sitting outside accepting deals to take you on an air conditioned shuttle for much less than the ships cost. The turtle farm was great. You have a guided tour and get to see all the diff turtles and actually pose for a pic (that you take w/your camera) holding a huge turtle. Very light walking involved and kids would love it. Hell was okay...I wouldn't go back, but since it was included in the tour, we went. The tour also stopped at a Tortuga Rum Cake shop and that was fun. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise! (Don't forget margaritaville in Grand Caymen).

I agree w/ previous poster - you can get a taxi to take you where you want to for a lot cheaper in Grand Cayman than the ship's cost. As far as Belize - don't waste your time taking the long tender ride (unless they have built a pier in the last two years) into Belize. You're much better off taking the ship's excursion to Bannister Island (if it is still offered). We did this port 2 years ago so I don't know what they are offering. It was a beautiful little island and all you did was "chill out". They had lounge chairs, a bar and grill w/ limited food choices, fairly nice bathrooms and changing rooms and a little store. The people that ran it were very personable. Your little one will enjoy it!

The 2 yo will limit you a bit-

I agree with the Bannister Island suggestion because the other things to do in Belize (where you do need an organized tour) would be either too long or unsuitable for a 2 yo.

In Costa Maya, you could do the David & Ivan tour to see the ruins: there is an easy walk through a rainforest and a guided tour of the ruins. It is very hot and humid, so bring water.

In Grand Cayman, I would probably just take a taxi to the beach. I have heard mixed reviews about the turtle farm.

Also check the family boards for more suggestions.

In Grand Cayman, we took a cab to Sea Grape beach. It is the same beach offered in the excersions but cheaper to get there by cab. You have to rent chairs and an umbrella, but it still is less cost. Then we came back to the dock area and shopped and ate.

We didn't get off in Belize. We had rough seas and were watching people attempt to tender. My DH gets sea sick and the six mile run in rough seas wouldn't have been pleasant. Plus it was cloudy and raining. There is no beach in Belize so if you want a beach experience, take the cruise excersion.

Costa Maya is a port that was developed and I believe owned by the cruise lines. The dock area has a lot of shops (you got it Diamonds International), bars, swimming pools, and beach. We wanted to get away from the commercial area and head into the tiny town of Mahajual (I think that is how it is spelled). Head to the exit from the dock area and buy a bus ticket to town. You get back via a cab. When ships are in town, the police block off the street so no one can drive. Only the police and golf carts are permitted on the main street. There are restaurants and beach bars all along the beach. They have chairs which they let you use if you purchase something from their facility. I absolutely loved it there. We walked all the way to the end of town and sat at Pez Quatro bar. It has swings for bar stools. After spending some time there we crossed the street to their restaurant and had a wonderful meal.

I have attached a few pictures. One is the port at Belize from the ship with a lot zoom. Then Mahajual's main street, town from the ship, and the dock area.

792772587_BelizePortfromShip.jpg.dfd0b5d9e8c08f54ee65100c977d6dc6.jpg

203641367_MahajualMainStreet.jpg.eed50098e19dd29e1a4e62b596f09059.jpg

1679830907_TownofMahajualfromShip.jpg.916c84b19d853bcd7e954f3f0c670893.jpg

800236099_CarnivalValorNov2006094.jpg.14745602977f42fdca215cc76c8d311e.jpg

We did the Stingray City "swim with the stingrays" at Grand Cayman and it was a blast! The water was only about chest deep where we were, and even more shallow in other places, so you just had to stand there and the stingrays come up all around you and rub against you like cats. Quite an experience!

I'm a big fan of Costa Maya. Toured the Chacchoben Ruins three years ago and loved it, 5 hours $80.00. Went to the Crocodile Park two years ago, it's blown down now. I hope there aren't wild crocs running the streets! it was just $15.00 and took about an hour and a half. This past April we took the Jungle Beach Break. $53.00, about four hours. Best beach break ever anywhere.

Archived