Skagway Float vs. Eagle Preserve Wilderness??

LVSue

We are on the last Zuiderdam trip, end of September. We’ve done RR, dog camp, bus to Carcass/Emerald Lake. We’re seniors, not in the best of shape, but we are in Skagway so long, we feel we must do something. We were contemplating this ship excursion: (Eagle Preserve Wilderness Excursion?): Skagway to Haines (catamaran) to Eagle Preserve (bus) raft, lunch. BQ has indicated that it’s not peak time for the Eagle Preserve and I don’t want to pay for some pathetic “picnic lunch” which seems to be added simply to stretch out the excursion.

In all my searches, I came across an alternative Skagway Float trip, which would I think work well as an outing for us. It seems we are bussed to Dyea, which might be interesting, and then take a raft trip up the Taiya river. It is shorter, plus it costs less than half the other.

I've seen a couple of reviews of both excursions; I'd love to hear more. Budget Queen, I would appreciate your weighing in on this, despite the lameness of the trip.

We are doing the Skagway hike and float trip 2 weeks from now :). I can report back to you after we return to let you know how it was. We are looking forward to this excursion.

We did the Eagle Preserve trip and we didn't see many eagles, but I didn't care much. We had fun, eagles or no eagles. Just the float trip was good, plus you got to tour Haines a little bit (and a little bit is all you need). The ferry to Haines & back was okay, but just okay.

If I was in your shoes I would probably do the cheaper one, too, but I can see certain times the Haines trip would be better (e.g. the ship docked in Haines, the eagles were out in force, you've been to Skagway enough times already...).

In your timeframe of late Sept, you will have the most eagle sightings of the season. But you also will have the coldest potential, so be well prepared in your attire, always, take extra socks. The lunch is decent sandwiches- if they haven't changed?? Verify this season's current menu.

If you haven't been to Haines, it is worthwhile, and the float trips, well run tours. The Taiya River floats- out of Skagway are also extremely scenic and well run. Either will offer you a very nice day. I have done both, and can't recommend one over the other.

LVSue, your question prompted me to look into the float-only trip in Skagway. We are taking the White Pass train in the afternoon, but the thought of the raft trip is also appealing. Our ship (Silver Shadow) offers a hike/float excursion, but I dismissed it due to the 2 mile hike at the beginning (we are seniors also, and I'd never make it!). I looked up the Skagway Float Trip company and, as you said, they have a float only trip for 2 1/2 - 3 hours that leaves in the morning as well as the afternoon. You are bussed to the embarcation point for the raft. We are leaving on our 9 day cruise in about 3 weeks, and have about 3 excursions planned. The Float Co. also said they don't charge your credit card until the day of the trip, and you can cancel anytime within 24 hours of departure. Thanks for putting this additional sightseeing trip in my mind! Haven't decided yet, two excursions in one day might be too much - have to think about it, but it does give us another possibility.

Thanks for the idea!:D

Glenda

NAW2, I'm looking forward to hearing from you! Hope the trip turns out great for you!

BQ: What you have said is pretty much what I had thought. I figured there might be more eagles at the end of the season. We were astounded at all the whales we saw last September. Perhaps cost/time will be factors in our choice. It is good to know that both excursions are well-run.

SSSue: I'm glad to see my hours of searching have paid off. I was pleased to find an shorter alternative, too. I sometimes feel that ship excursions are extended or padded to justify their cost.

• 1 month later...

I think we are pretty well decided on the Taiya River float. I'm assuming that the Klondike Tours, Inc. is an OK company. I'm actually looking forward to this, and it will leave a little time to explore Skagway (my least favorite port). Any good fish and chips in Skagway?

LVSue

I'm sorry that I was not able to reply sooner in regard to the Skagway hike and float trip.

It was a very beautiful 2 mile hike with a couple of steep areas that were fairly easy to handle. Our guide was Cody and he was absolutely wonderful and entertaining. He filled us in on the history of the trail as we progressed through different areas. The sceneray was amazing. The float trip was very relaxing. We saw some bald eagles in nest along the float trip and a river otter.

We booked through Skagwayfloat.com. They were very easy to get in touch with online and via phone. They picked us up right in front of our ship and returned us to the same place. If you don't want to do the hike you can just do the float portions.

We would book through them again in a heartbeat.

NAW2, it is ironic that you posted today because I just got off the phone with my cohort in crime (SIL) and we had decided to book this excursion. Glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the fact that you were so conscientious as to post back. (I'm a prime example of "road to hell" and "good intentions".)

I hope you had a great trip, and I thank you for helping us make ours good!

You've just verified what we decided on our own. Thanks!

I agree with NAW2, we booked with skagwayfloat.com and were very happy. We had Cody as our guide and he was outstanding. Loved the hike and float. The float wasn't very long, maybe 40 minutes or so and very relaxing. This is not a fast moving white rapid sort of float but a relaxing and very scenic float. We did the hike and float combo and really enjoyed the entire excursion.

Archived