When you first enter your cabin, what do you check and/or request from your steward?

Call us lucky. We've never found anything that needed the attention of our cabin stewards. The worst thing that ever happened was missing slippers - we can sure live with that!

When we first get access to our cabin, we always head straight for the balcony. Once we're filled with the special smell of sea air (or pier air, I guess) we check the paperwork to see if anything is missing. It's always been accurate, so we head out to explore the ship.

We take several bottles onboard so ask that everything in the mini-bar be removed and put our wine in and ask for wine glasses. Also, ask that two copies of the Daily Program be delivered each evening. I keep one copy with me for referencing the next day. The other comes home and goes into a scrapbook I put together after each cruise.

If in a cabin with no mini-bar we ask for an extra bucket kept filled with ice to cool our wine.

I too always take a picture before I've settled in, of the room, the bathroom, the view.

I carry my own little tin ashtray with me, so if I can't find one, I use that and leave it out, and then there's a ship ashtray in my room after the steward's next visit.

I never need anything; everything is already there. But! I get such a kick out of checking out the loading dock activity. It's a hoot! Imagine all the food we will eat this week. Trucks and trucks, one after another. I find it quite fascinating!!!!!:D

I also ask the steward to clean out the minibar and several times I have needed to have the bed reconfigured. Twice the coffe table was too big and I asked to have it removed.

I also like to check out the closets and the bathroom.

Wow! I'm "itching" to cruise. I wish I was checking out that cabin and sailing away on Amsterdam this weekend

DH usually needs and asks for an extension cord for his CPAP machine. This last cruise we had forgotten our corkscrew so we asked for that and also to have the beds reconfigured.

The one time we asked to have the mini bar emptied (several cruises back) our steward told us they couldn't do that! :confused: So we've never asked again.....obviously if so many of you are having it done with no problem we need to ask again!

I'm a germaphobe :o, so I scrub everything (TV remote, door handles, tub, toilet, phone, floor, table, balcony, etc.) down with Clorox wipes then make sure the bedding was changed - once it wasn't and I found lipstick on the pillow and hairs in the bed! :eek:

I just like to look around. It's such a fun feeling knowing you have the whole week (or whatever!) in front of you. I take pictures before we turn the room into something which could double as a crack house and then I ask for some ice. Just thinking about it makes me want to go and look at cabin pictures from past cruises!

Usually we go out on the balcony, then empty the fridge and put in our wine and diet Dr Pepper. Then start to decorate--put up the flamigo lights and hang the windsock (even in the Med).

Last cruise however the first thing we had to do was get the room de-smoked and get rid of the dirty full ashtrays both in the room and on the balcony. They even had to spray the outside furniture with that super spray.

Then we could start to decorate.

1. Bed is made up as a queen size
  2. Take pictures of the cabin
  3. Check for shore excursion and restuarant vouchers
  4. Are there any surprises: champagne/onboard gifts?
  5. Check that the balcony partition is open to our friends next door.
  6. Check for two bath robes
  7. Closets are empty
  8. Meet our steward(s)

Since we have had the same cabin the last two cruises - and have it again for next February - there is no real need to check the view or layout. :)

The bed has always been set up as a queen.

Last cruise a shore excursion was missing and there was only one robe, but we had champagne and strawberries waiting for us!

I have asked for the minibar to be emptied but have always had to resort to unpacking it into the desk stool myself.

Archived