When you first enter your cabin, what do you check and/or request from your steward?

I am so thankful for all these tips! My niece and I are going on our first cruise next month and this thread is very much appreciated.

Regarding cabin stewards....I was telling my mom about everything mentioned here that the cabin stewards take care of for us....her reply, "Can you bring one home with you?" :)

countdown.pl?name=zoomergals&date=6-28-2009&image=Beach-9&text=1st cruise for me and my niece!&ship=Westerdam

Rita, I'm with you re the ashtray. Being able to smoke on the balcony (not in my cabin) is one of the reasons I am staing with HAL.

Hate to be a downer, but in our area there was a fire recently on a condo balcony - cigarette not fully put out - and the firemen had to rescue a 90 year old woman in a room near the balcony. She was suffering from inhaling the smoke fumes and couldn't get out of her room.

When/where do you purchase the drinks, water, etc. to restock your fridge after the steward empties it? I am thinking shopping before boarding the ship might be pretty expensive - not to say difficult at the pier before boarding. I hate having yet another bag to tote!

When/where do you purchase the drinks, water, etc. to restock your fridge after the steward empties it? I am thinking shopping before boarding the ship might be pretty expensive - not to say difficult at the pier before boarding. I hate having yet another bag to tote!

You can buy water and/or soda in any port and bring it aboard when you return to the ship. Some folks bring water aboard with them on embarkation day and forget they can get it any day in any port.

We think the water on the ship delicious and never bother with bottled water unless we're going to the beach or something like that.

We always tip at the end of each segment of a back-to-back. There have been times when our cabin or dining steward either went home or was reassigned to a different area for the next cruise. Most of the time, we have been able to keep our same dining stewards but once in a while not. Our recents cruises on Eurodam, the dining teams rotated after our first week aboard.

Because I share a cabin with my sister we check the bed configuration and ask for 2 of the daily programs every day, so we can each take one home.

Jess

Have the room steward clean off the counter tops of any display wine bottles, etc., clean out the refrig, check to see if the egg crate mattress toppers are in place that we ordered, and order about 6 more pillows. I like to be surrounded by pillows when I sleep. In an inside cabin, it's like going back in the womb. Nice and snug! And foremost, tip the room steward ahead of time.

Question: Where & when do you request egg crate toppers?? - I definitely like that! esp for a 24 day cruise! THX

I heard elsewhere about the 1st day tip thing, & altho I'm usu. not an overtipper, I get your drift;). (No one else do this!) No flames, JK, JK!:D

Archived