Carnival made mistake, need advice...

tampabrat22

In January 2009 I booked a 5 day cruise on the Inspiration (sailing date Dec. 5, 2009). I booked online and used my debit card for the deposit (which was almost the entire cost of the cruise, lol)!

So fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, I call in to make the final payment and I was told that I need to call my travel agent and pay through them. Problem is I havent used a travel agent in years! But according the Carnival rep. somehow when I booked online it was as if they agent booked it for me. I dont even understand how that can happen?

And of course Carnival says I need to call the agent and ask them to release the booking back to Carnival, and I was going to do it until I thought "why should I fix their mistake"? So I emailed Carnival to explain to them that since it was their mistake they need to fix it. I have not heard back from them.

I feel awful calling the agent and taking the booking from them, thats not fair to them, but then again I dont think they even know about it yet? And I quit using the agent only because I like to be in control of my vacation, every single detail, lol! So when I started cruising with groups it was easier for me to be the group leader and deal with all the details myself rather than having to go through a middle man.

So, what should I do? Any advice from the seasoned pro's?

In January 2009 I booked a 5 day cruise on the Inspiration (sailing date Dec. 5, 2009). I booked online and used my debit card for the deposit (which was almost the entire cost of the cruise, lol)!

So fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, I call in to make the final payment and I was told that I need to call my travel agent and pay through them. Problem is I havent used a travel agent in years! But according the Carnival rep. somehow when I booked online it was as if they agent booked it for me. I dont even understand how that can happen?

And of course Carnival says I need to call the agent and ask them to release the booking back to Carnival, and I was going to do it until I thought "why should I fix their mistake"? So I emailed Carnival to explain to them that since it was their mistake they need to fix it. I have not heard back from them.

I feel awful calling the agent and taking the booking from them, thats not fair to them, but then again I dont think they even know about it yet? And I quit using the agent only because I like to be in control of my vacation, every single detail, lol! So when I started cruising with groups it was easier for me to be the group leader and deal with all the details myself rather than having to go through a middle man.

What website did you book it on????

If you booked with an online site other than Carnival.com...they they have not made a mistake.

You booked with a travel agent...albeit online. They will not take your payment or talk to you if you booked through someone other than them.

Jessica,

Have you attempted the Make Payment option on Carnival.com? If not, then log in to Carnival.com, go to your reservation then CLICK HERE to make a payment. If the payment is accepted and your balance due goes to zero, you don't need to do anything.

I am not sure where you think Carnival has made a "mistake" they need to rectify. Your Travel Agent is the online site (or "middle-man") you used to book. They now have your booking, and you need to finish paying thru them, or get them to release the booking.

If you used the Carnival site, and they think a TA is involved, is it possible you used a future cruise credit or something similar? In many cases the agent you had when you purchased or received something like that is "protected" as your agent, even if they had no contact with this current booking.

There was a post about a month or so ago, where something similar happened. If I can find the thread I will post the link, several people said they also booked on the Carnival site, yet Carnival told them they were booked though a TA, one they had used in the past.

Interesting.......

There was a post about a month or so ago, where something similar happened. If I can find the thread I will post the link, several people said they also booked on the Carnival site, yet Carnival told them they were booked though a TA, one they had used in the past.

Yes.I remembered that one thread..I think that person had an old cookie still attached to the old TA's website. That person booked Carnval.com but the booking went to the TA.

This is like the 3rd post I have seen where the person swears they booked online on the Carnival site and somehow it mysteriously wound up at the TA they had used in the past. Seems like not all these people can be making the same mistake, that Carnival is doing something to cause it, but isnt aware of the problem. Until you get Carnival to understand they made the error, you might not have any luck.

If you have boooked through an agent and the agents information is still on your carnival.com site, the agent gets the booking.

this makes no sense to me that Carnival is doing this, even though it does seem to be what is happening. If I wanted to book with the TA, I would do it on the TAs site, not on the Carnival site.

I am not sure where you think Carnival has made a "mistake" they need to rectify. Your Travel Agent is the online site (or "middle-man") you used to book. They now have your booking, and you need to finish paying thru them, or get them to release the booking.

If you used the Carnival site, and they think a TA is involved, is it possible you used a future cruise credit or something similar? In many cases the agent you had when you purchased or received something like that is "protected" as your agent, even if they had no contact with this current booking.

She booked online at the CCL site not on a TA's site.

This isn't the first person to have this problem. I don't kow how they got it rectified but good luck to the OP.

When I go to the CCL site it has the name of a travel agency I used awhile back at the top of the CCL booking page.

Bill

tampabrat22 - Assuming that you DID book on carnival.com (and hopefully you have some printout/confirmation...of same) you're probably going to have to call the 800 number during business hours, ask for a Supervisor, briefly explain exactly what you did on Carnival.com, offer any corrobrating documentation you have, and explain that you intentionally booked on carnival.com and do not want a TA involved.... if Supervisor can't/won't help, as for the next level up. Keep us posted! ken

This isn't the first person to have this problem. I don't kow how they got it rectified but good luck to the OP.

When I go to the CCL site it has the name of a travel agency I used awhile back at the top of the CCL booking page.

Bill

It does not matter to some people what the OP states, their first instinct is to blame the victim.

Problem is I havent used a travel agent in years!

But according the Carnival rep. somehow when I booked online it was as if they agent booked it for me. I dont even understand how that can happen?

And I quit using the agent only because I like to be in control of my vacation, every single detail, lol! So when I started cruising with groups it was easier for me to be the group leader and deal with all the details myself rather than having to go through a middle man.

We do not know that for certain. All the OP said was that they "booked online." We need further clarification from the OP.

If in fact she did book at carnival.com, I'm puzzled as to why she did not simply go back to the website pay the balance, rather than calling. :confused: But I am going to refrain from further speculation until we hear back from her.

Bill

Mine has the first TA I ever used (years ago) on the top of the Carnival page as well, even though Iv since used other TAs.

I booked on CARNIVAL.com, I logged into my account and made the reservation and then proceeded to pay with my debit card. I didnt have any credits, coupons or promotions, just a regular past guest boooking.

I would advise you to delete the above post. It lists your name(s) and booking number. While a PIN is needed, at times people have been able to make changes to pax bookings without it. Just remembered if you book online your dont have a PIN, so yes delete that part from the above thread.

Wanted to add to answer a few questions...

The Travel agent name that used to be at the top of my Carnival screen disappeared years ago when i removed the agents name & info from my account.

My cousin and I booked at the same time (from our own computers) and she had the option to make payments online, so I knew there was something going on since I didnt have that option. So I called in to make a payment and that is when I was told about this. The Carnival rep told me that it only appears after you book online (which I did) but since they think I booked through an agent it is not an option for me.

I booked on CARNIVAL.com, I logged into my account and made the reservation and then proceeded to pay with my debit card. I didnt have any credits, coupons or promotions, just a regular past guest boooking.

And actually, I did a screen capture the day I reserved because I was out of ink to print it. So here is my confirmation when I booked it:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c178/jadensjems/cruiseconfirmONLINE.jpg and it is attached. I blurred out personal info:).

I havent used an agent since my first cruise in 2004 and dont understand how it is possible that they have my reservation. And since they do, I would think by now I should of at least heard something from them (like a thanks for your reservation or something)!?

Thanks for confirming for the peeps that you did indeed book on the CCL website.

I wouldn't hold my breath though waiting for CCL to fix the problem. They are as stubborn as the day is long and they are NEVER wrong.(at least that's what they think)

Again, Good Luck!

Bill

Wanted to add to answer a few questions...

The Travel agent name that used to be at the top of my Carnival screen disappeared years ago when i removed the agents name & info from my account.

My cousin and I booked at the same time (from our own computers) and she had the option to make payments online, so I knew there was something going on since I didnt have that option. So I called in to make a payment and that is when I was told about this. The Carnival rep told me that it only appears after you book online (which I did) but since they think I booked through an agent it is not an option for me.

Call back and talk to a supervisor........

The OP is not at fault. When I booked our June Victory cruise last November on Carnival.com, there was something I needed to correct, I think it was us not being listed as past guests when we were....and when I called Carnival they said something about not being able to make changes since I was booked through a TA! :confused: When I looked at my profile, there was the TA that my in-laws had used the prior year to book us all on a family cruise. And it was grayed out and I couldn't change it. Carnival refused to rectify this, saying I had to call the TA and have them release the booking. I did call the TA...I felt bad on the one hand, but, when she said, "oh, we'd really like to have this", I had to refrain from replying, "What for? You didn't do any of the work to research this or book it!" She asked if I had booked it onboard my last cruise - maybe that's why her agency's name was there - but no....Carnival had just left it in my profile and even though I booked myself through carnival.com, it looked like a TA booking to them. Luckily she was an honest TA and called and released the booking....and the TA info was removed from my profile. I was then able to talk directly to Carnival and they confirmed this and made changes for me.

HOWEVER, when I went to make final payment online months later, the site wouldn't let me - claimed a TA had to do this. I called Carnival and told them it appeared to be some "residue" from the original TA problem - and the rep fixed something and took my CC payment over the phone. NOW - get this - then the email confirming final payment, $ amount and all details went to MY INLAWS' EMAIL! :eek: (Apparently somewhere in system from the last cruise they booked for us - even though my on-line visible profile has my own email). Luckily I have a good relationship with my inlaws, they forwarded to me, and I don't mind them seeing what I paid - but what if I did mind? I called Carnival and chewed them out - poor rep said that the email they send confirmations to comes from "another place" in the system than where the email on my profile resides! She corrected things and I told her it wasn't her fault, but that their IT Dept had some seriously deficient database design going on if that was the case.

Now, I'm expecting my paper docs any day now - anyone want to bet whether they come to my address, my inlaws' address, or my inlaws' prior TA?:D

I would advise you to delete the above post. It lists your name(s) and booking number. While a PIN is needed, at times people have been able to make changes to pax bookings without it. Just remembered if you book online your dont have a PIN, so yes delete that part from the above thread.

Thanks for the tip! I covered the booking and cabin numbers as well.

If you have boooked through an agent and the agents information is still on your carnival.com site, the agent gets the booking.

Interesting. I booked online thru Carnival.com and I assumed my booking is direct now. However, across the top of my page says the travel agents name. So my TA from my previous 2 cruises is getting credit/commission for my upcoming cruise?

Archived